Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:21 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times

Advertisements

Yeah but you don't look like Joe the Plumber either.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:25 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,034 times
Quote:
Yeah but you don't look like Joe the Plumber either
I am racially closer to Joe The Plumber than I am to George Lopez that's for damn sure. Which is why nobody has ever confused me for being Hispanic. I don't have a single drop of Indio blood and am of 100% European ancestry, unlike most Hispanics who do have significant Indio admixture.

Last edited by Jeff Jarrett; 11-15-2008 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 07:18 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilF87 View Post
what other parts of the state have you lived that you never experienced racism?
Lake County, Martin, Palm Beach
all 92%+ white non-hispanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I am racially closer to Joe The Plumber than I am to George Lopez that's for damn sure. Which is why nobody has ever confused me for being Hispanic. I don't have a single drop of Indio blood and am of 100% European ancestry, unlike most Hispanics who do have significant Indio admixture.
Yeah, yeah, whatever but I'm still whiter than you.

-
p.s. I'm still confused, I thought this was the beat up on whitey thread!
-

Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Lake County, Martin, Palm Beach
all 92%+ white non-hispanic

-
p.s. I'm still confused, I thought this was the beat up on whitey thread!
-
The current stats for the Palm Beach County school district say that it is 40% White Non-Hispanic...

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/...ict_profile/50

White 40%
Black 29%
Hispanic 24%
Multiracial 5%
Asian/Pacific Islander 3%
Other <1%

I'm guessing Palm Beach County as a whole in 2008 is about 50% or around there due to the retirees. But then again the statistics don't count in areas with large immigrant populations like Lake Worth and suburban West Palm Beach (they tried doing a 2008 estimate with those but couldn't due to extreme under counts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Hey planet, how much of the 24% of whites in Doral are "speakie very little English" whites?

You don't have to speak English to be considered 'white' in the U.S. That is why as a non-Hispanic in Doral you don't feel like you're 1 out of 4, but more like 1 out of 20.
Most of the Hispanics in Doral I know can speak English very well. All of the next generation residents will/do speak English fine.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
B.S if most hispanics in South Florida are White than why is that when I was there nobody ever approached me speaking in Spanish ?

This is what I look like

As you can see I don't exactly look like somebody named Tito Guerrero. The Hispanics in South Florida already rightfully assumed that based on my appearence alone that I am a Non Hispanic White and am not one of them.
I think the perpetual nature of race threads popping up on the Miami forum is laughable. However, whenever they cross my path I have no choice but to tell the truth. Crisp likes to hide behind the government's loose, all-inclusive deinition of "white". Most people's traditional notion of 'white' is much different from the governments, and crispy's. Another serious question that should be asked is how many hispanics formally abandon their heritage at the onset of a job promotion, moving to a 'nice' neighborhood, or when their non-English speaking parents die. Even though they mark the white category, their Hispanic heritage, Spanish language, and other ethnic traits are sometimes only footsteps away...

Old 11-15-2008, 07:37 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,568 times
Ok, ok....
more specificity, your right, generalizations...
Mt Dora & Tavares in Lake.
Tequesta Jupiter Island in Palm Beach
Palm city in Martin
--
run the numbers now.
-
wow.. you posted 5 min after me!
-

Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
I think the perpetual nature of race threads popping up on the Miami forum is laughable. However, whenever they cross my path I have no choice but to tell the truth. Crisp likes to hide behind the government's loose, all-inclusive deinition of "white". Most people's traditional notion of 'white' is much different from the governments, and crispy's. Another serious question that should be asked is how many hispanics formally abandon their heritage at the onset of a job promotion, moving to a 'nice' neighborhood, or when their non-English speaking parents die. Even though they mark the white category, their Hispanic heritage, Spanish language, and other ethnic traits are sometimes only footsteps away...
You are aware that the term "Hispanic" in relation to Latin American origin (census-defined or popularly-defined) was actually coined by the government, right?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You are aware that the term "Hispanic" in relation to Latin American origin (census-defined or popularly-defined) was actually coined by the government, right?
What's your point? How do you feel about my above statement?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,034 times
Quote:
Crisp likes to hide behind the government's loose, all-inclusive deinition of "white". Most people's traditional notion of 'white' is much different from the governments, and crispy's
Indeed the real world's definition of White is not as loose as the government's and crispy's definition of White. If most Hispanics were White than in prison for example there wouldn't be seperate gangs for Hispanic people and White people, they would all just come together and form one gang, but that's not the case.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
What's your point? How do you feel about my above statement?
Basically, I just thought your use of the "G" word seemed a little hypocritical. My point is that nobody would be (mis)using the term "Spanish" or "Hispanic" if the government didn't begin using it as a label in the 70s, yet you seemed to criticize the actual "government" definition of Hispanic, which is commonly misunderstood by the day-to-day citizen to be an actual race, and to add to the confusion, many "Hispanics" even proudly proclaim "hey, I'm not white, I'm Spanish!" when it is convenient, whether their heritage is white, mestizo, mulatto, anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami