U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,773 times

Advertisements

In recent days there Miami Herald has presented many views by different representatives of the Cuban American National Foundation. In one recent article, Mas Canosa wrote about how things have to change, Obama represents change, Cuban American families should be able to reunite and visit, and then he repeats the old "Keep the Embargo" line. It is as if he wants to jump off the diving board and at the last minute walks down the steps.

Today Camila Ruiz Gallardo, director of government relations for the CANF did a similar thing. "CUrrent Cuba policy is weak and ineffective' is the name of her article. She goes on to explain the definition of change, how Cuban Americans are routinely tortured, how Cubans risk their lives to cross the 90 miles to get to Florida, how "Cubans are in dire need of change".....For a m inute I held my breath and, like her boss, she went back to keep the embargo.....What gives???????????????

I am a 50+ year old Cuban American, I would love to be able to visit Cuba, I am saddened that it is fellow Cubans who want to further tightened the life of the Cuban people on the island. To me this is something unprecedented....native Americans want things to improve and (some) Cubans want to make things harder for the people there. Is it lack of courage, is it not being ready or gutsy enough to say, "We really need change"?

We trade with China, Viet Nam, and President Bush just had talks with the president of Libya.....how very, very sad....we really do not have any leadership when it comes to Cuba......

Last edited by teresa burke; 11-17-2008 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,628,360 times
I used to buy into the "hold the line: keep the embargo" argument. However, when I thought about the effect it has on Cuba (it makes life harder), I changed my mind and now support communication with Cuba so that we can work past the embargo - something that for almost 50 years has proved itself to not work in changing the way things are done in Cuba. It can be hard to let go to 50 years of hard-line "Cuba sí, Castro no," but when you look past symbolism and think about the Cuban people and what is best for them, it becomes apparent that the embargo just isn't helping the situation. Come to think of it, we need to focus less on the "Castro no" and more on the "Cuba sí."

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,397,223 times
I agree with you, Teresa Burke.

I also agree with you, crispy bacon. I just don't feel like writing or elaborating about Cuba tonight.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,852,277 times
The embargo is a farce does not work never has.

Its cowardly to support it and easy to support it while living here .
Its exactly like forcing someone to fight a fist fight for you while you relax .

There is resentment ,anger towards the Miami Cubans from those in Cuba or those who lived in Cuba under the embargo.

The embargo made sense from what some tell me initially now its just pain for Cubans and again does not work.

Many politicians here have only 1 platform which is keep embargo going. They dont care about the suffering going on there with a failed policy Than again they dont care about the voters in Miami who elected them.

Cuba shouldnt be an issue in Miami politics as Mayors,etc do not have the power to change foreign affairs the issue is used to keep Cubans fixated on Cuba and not expect much if anything else from them.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa burke View Post
In recent days there Miami Herald has presented many views by different representatives of the Cuban American National Foundation. In one recent article, Mas Canosa wrote about how things have to change, Obama represents change, Cuban American families should be able to reunite and visit, and then he repeats the old "Keep the Embargo" line. It is as if he wants to jump off the diving board and at the last minute walks down the steps.

Today Camila Ruiz Gallardo, director of government relations for the CANF did a similar thing. "CUrrent Cuba policy is weak and ineffective' is the name of her article. She goes on to explain the definition of change, how Cuban Americans are routinely tortured, how Cubans risk their lives to cross the 90 miles to get to Florida, how "Cubans are in dire need of change".....For a m inute I held my breath and, like her boss, she went back to keep the embargo.....What gives???????????????

I am a 50+ year old Cuban American, I would love to be able to visit Cuba, I am saddened that it is fellow Cubans who want to further tightened the life of the Cuban people on the island. To me this is something unprecedented....native Americans want things to improve and (some) Cubans want to make things harder for the people there. Is it lack of courage, is it not being ready or gutsy enough to say, "We really need change"?

We trade with China, Viet Nam, and President Bush just had talks with the president of Libya.....how very, very sad....we really do not have any leadership when it comes to Cuba......

I dont know how long ago you left but its fairly crappy. buildings falling apart , sanitation is back alleys,etc.

Yes tourist places are nice compared to rest of island yet full of prostituites including children for the many freaks who go there for that .
A 12 yr old girl visiting a tourist room makes more that day than a doctor in a month .

My whole family is here now and I would not go back but understand how you would want to go see it as many Cubans do .
I have heard from recent folks who have come in via Mexico that things are slowly changing .

I just hope that if the Castro brothers reign ends we dont now have these Miami politicians like internal parasites wind up there or not much will change lol. Actually the bus service is better than here yes falling apart leaky roofed no ac junk bus where you stand but it runs more than here .

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,773 times
I absolutely agree that it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to have Publix, Walgreen, CVS right around the corner and yell, "Keep the embargo". We here in Miami are not suffering and doing without. I will repeat my peeve: that it is Cubans in Miami who want the Cubans on the island to suffer more and for what? So Fidel suffers? Please, everyone knows that leaders, presidents, dictators NEVER do without no matter what. I firmly believe that there are many many Cubans who are silent and who are against the embargo....a few of those who make big $$ from the embargo can silent them. We simply cannot continue with the dinosaur called, "Embargo".

Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 PM

670 posts, read 1,534,377 times
A lot of posters here are against the embargo, oh, and they are Cuban too.
The one generality that may be true is this: older Cubans are more likely to believe that the embargo is correct.
This is a Universal trait; it's hard to face up and admit that you have been mistaken for years, too much of "self" is invested in being "right."
But that older generation is in their mid 70s now, so....
-
(edited) please note I said "more likely" I made no absolute statement.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I absolutely agree that it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to have Publix, Walgreen, CVS right around the corner and yell, "Keep the embargo". We here in Miami are not suffering and doing without. I will repeat my peeve: that it is Cubans in Miami who want the Cubans on the island to suffer more and for what? So Fidel suffers? Please, everyone knows that leaders, presidents, dictators NEVER do without no matter what. I firmly believe that there are many many Cubans who are silent and who are against the embargo....a few of those who make big $$ from the embargo can silent them. We simply cannot continue with the dinosaur called, "Embargo".
--------------

"dictators NEVER do without no matter what."

BINGO well put.
The Castro brothers and their girlfriends and immediate inner circle including few Generals eat lobster and imported filet mignon while rest of us ate Russian canned seal meat and had daily hourS of no electricity however their estates have central ac.
Same as Saddam and his clan after years of Iraqi embargo and blockade.

I think things better now but still horrible ..

The embargo was worth a try and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt after decades its clear it hasnt worked nor will work.
I do think now it may become bit lax .I hope so

Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM

710 posts, read 2,013,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
A lot of posters here are against the embargo, oh, and they are Cuban too.
The one generality that may be true is this: older Cubans are more likely to believe that the embargo is correct.
This is a Universal trait; it's hard to face up and admit that you have been mistaken for years, too much of "self" is invested in being "right."
But that older generation is in their mid 70s now, so....
-
(edited) please note I said "more likely" I made no absolute statement.
YES ^^^^

And the embargo plays right into Castro's hands, he always has a finger to point ... "The reason things aren't going well is because of the USA and THOSE people in Miami!"

I say kill them with kindness. If the Miami Cubans can get over their blind hatred for Castro, then we could make the Castro brothers irrelevant.
"Nooo Que Barato" anyone? They had (still have?) scales in the front of the store so the duffels of underwear, toothpaste and cloths you're bringing to your relatives in Cuba can be checked on the plane. Such hypocrisy. We need to do this on a GRAND scale and it will be over.

It's so sad, that island is the ONLY real holdover from 1960s style Communism.

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-21-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,431,279 times
Quote:
It is very easy to yell "Abajo Fidel" (down with Castro) while "tomando cafecito y comiendo jamonsito" (drinking coffe and eating ham). But in Cuba, they kept quiet and made an hour line to eat old bread. Down with the embargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami