Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,050 times

Advertisements

Since I was in the USAF, I traveled through some unexpected places in the US.
Also, being somewhat curious about whether the grass was really greener in other pastures, I've ventured out to live in somewhat unexpected places for a typical Cuban from Miami.
It almost goes without saying that there were places that I went to live where I was the only Cuban around for many miles around.
Usually the makeup of these places was the same; predominately white non-hispanic above 90%
I was always received in a very friendly manner and I always earned respect by abiding to local customs and respecting others opinions.
Let me be clear, I've lived amongst Southern folks.
So, it gives me pause when I read some posts from a certain minority in the Miami forum as this goes against my experiences.
Could it really be that seeing so many successful, educated white Cubans in Miami gives this vocal minority in this forum a sense of inferiority?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
Quote:
white Cubans
LOL, if an Anglo were to physically attack a so called "White Cuban" or vice versa, law enforcement would label it as a hate crime and not a White on White crime.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,764 times
Yes, I envy all the successful Cubans of Miami.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times
Of course some are. It' one of the obvious dynamics of Miami that some Cubans (and Hispanics in general) are smarter, harder working, better educated and "whiter" than some Anglos.

Freaks them out when their myths are busted. It's fun to watch actually.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
LOL, if an Anglo were to physically attack a so called "White Cuban" or vice versa, law enforcement would label it as a hate crime and not a White on White crime.
And your point is? Please answer the question instead of trying to instigate.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Since I was in the USAF, I traveled through some unexpected places in the US.
Also, being somewhat curious about whether the grass was really greener in other pastures, I've ventured out to live in somewhat unexpected places for a typical Cuban from Miami.
It almost goes without saying that there were places that I went to live where I was the only Cuban around for many miles around.
Usually the makeup of these places was the same; predominately white non-hispanic above 90%
I was always received in a very friendly manner and I always earned respect by abiding to local customs and respecting others opinions.
Let me be clear, I've lived amongst Southern folks.
So, it gives me pause when I read some posts from a certain minority in the Miami forum as this goes against my experiences.
Could it really be that seeing so many successful, educated white Cubans in Miami gives this vocal minority in this forum a sense of inferiority?
I will venture to guess that most non-Hispanic whites are not envious of white Cubans of upper middle and upper class socioeconomic status; in fact, the two groups are extremely well integrated at those income levels. When you get down to middle class non-Hispanic whites versus middle class Cubans, there still is considerable integration and the groups generally get along well. However, you do once in a while hear the "Hispanics are taking over" and "a true white person cannot be Hispanic at the same time" garbage. There could be some envy here. To be honest with you I have not heard a lot of non-Hispanic whites from Miami (who still live there; many of those who left are a different story) complain much about Cubans; Cubans are generally a well-respected group that is solidly accepted into the white middle class (and above). However, the complaints I have heard have come from the more "good old boy" type working class whites who see that the average Hispanic person in Miami is more well-off than them. However, this really seems to be a non-issue since the non-Hispanic white population in Miami-Dade is pretty much middle class and above. Most of the sour feelings towards Cubans and/or Hispanics can be found in a few small enclaves in deep south Dade, Broward, and the Keys. I can't really speak for Palm Beach County, but I can say that the integration between Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites in South Florida is fanstastic and much better than anywhere else I have ever lived or even visited. I grew up in an area with a large presence of both non-Hispanic and Hispanic whites and witnessed substantial integration/friendship/dating/intermarriage between the two groups. Probably a full quarter of the people with whom I grew up were half Hispanic and half Italian or Anglo.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
Are you Cubans jealous of us Anglos because everybody in America sees us as being White while that will never will be the case for you Cubans.

Here is a survey that asked people which ethnic groups do they see as White and which ethnic groups do they see as not White and after you go through the survey you can click on a link to see how other people responded and you will see that a whopping 82.8% of the people surveyed classified Cubans as Not White.
RACE - Who Is White?

Last edited by Jeff Jarrett; 11-18-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Difficult question, as I'm not a white southerner, and have no idea how they would respond. (I am white though, just not a southerner).

But, generally, as whites are the majority in the country, I don't think they think anything about it whatsoever.

If they do think about it, most of them have the 'we're all equal', and this is America, we all can achieve our dreams, and an almost Sesame Street 'we're all one' mentality, I would thin - regardless if it is true or not.

I also think there are thousands of white role models for whatever a white person might want to do anyways, so I doubt they'd be looking at Cubans as a group and feeling some sense of envy.

Well, one thing maybe of envy, is that Cubans can have rampant pride and not see anything strange or weird about it whatsoever. If you are white, and show any interest in being white whatsoever, you are considered racist or a million other negative attributes. Personally I have NO interest or care whatsoever about being white per se, but I do try occassionally to take pride in my Irish ancestory, but to walk around and say 'Irish Pride' or something just sounds...ahmm...like something isn't quite right there with that though.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Are you Cubans jealous of us Anglos because everybody in America sees us as being White while that will never will be the case for you Cubans.

Here is a survey that asked people which ethnic groups do they see as White and which ethnic groups do they see as not White and after you go through the survey you can click on a link to see how other people responded and you will see that a whopping 82.8% of the people surveyed classified Cubans as Not White.
RACE - Who Is White?
I have repeated it already and will repeat it again: being wrong in greater numbers makes you no more right.

Besides, the methodology of that survey was obviously flawed because a nationality cannot be assumed to be of a certain race; individuals are of a certain race or racial admixture. "Are Cubans white?" If that question was asked to me even I would not be able to say "yes" - I would be forced to give a breakdown of Cuba's demographics (37% white, 51% mulatto, 11% black, 1% East Asian) and contrast them with the fact that 85% of Cubans/Cuban-Americans in this country are white and that they number actually tips 90% in South Florida.

Jeff, your insistance on viewing Cubans/Hispanics as a homogenous group that deserves to have the racial characteristics of some members of the group imputed to the racial characteristics of all of that group's numbers shows that your understanding of Hispanic ethnicity and of race in general is elementary and misguided.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,711 times
Quote:

RACE - Who Is White?
A quote from the link you posted! "This survey is about opinion, not fact. There are no right answers."

If they would have asked what race Americans are, what would you have responded? That right there answers the ridiculousness of all of this! What about Canadians, and Kenyans? Its the same for all nationalities! But go ahead and keep on trying to convince yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: