Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Did they mention segregation?
Or racism? I've heard some pretty scary stories about Hialeah in the mid-60s as the Cubans started moving in and displacing the working class "whites" that lived there then.

Miami did seem pretty cool back then, but no place was perfect.

I usually enjoy tallrick's posts too --- he's definitely prone to hyperbole but usually with his opinion or very specific events vs the facts. AND he actually has a pretty clear POV and seems to CARE. Something missing from some of the detractors (some of whom don't even live here??).

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-21-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
When there's an issue or problem that merits debate about Miami, don't put a "fuzzy fufu" political correctness hat on the problem, say it like it is. Tallrick does a good job of this. I like his phrase "kangaroo courts".

Last edited by big mean bear; 11-21-2008 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
Tallrick helped me w/ honest info when I first started posting about moving. Nope, haven't moved yet. I started posting before the humongous housing crash hit my area. Now we are stuck. : (

Old 11-27-2008, 08:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
I thought TallRick was the one who told me he hadn't been to Miami Beach in ten years? It's hard to call it as you see it if you haven't seen it at all for 10 years!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 PM

184 posts, read 805,178 times
I believe the Miami retrospect movie about Miami in the 50's and 60's, is called "ALL SHOOK UP" -which aired recently on WLRN Miami PBS station. Here is a recap I found on this new one hour documentary:

ALL SHOOK UP: Miami's Glory Days of Music is a one-hour documentary that traces the rich history of music in Miami. Never before has there been a local South Florida production that captures the deep and robust musical landscape of the 50s and 60s that only Miami can claim.

In the days before heavy metal and hip-hop, Miami was at the heart of a dynamic growing music industry. Considered America's winter playground, the land of palm trees and sunshine, it was and still is a hotspot for tourists, entertainers and locals seeking a taste of the good life. Hailed by many musicians and recording stars as the "most unbelievable place to be", Miami's rich musical background has patiently waited to be discovered by a wider audience.

Told by those who lived it, witnessed it, played it and created it, this musical journey will be categorized by geographical areas and divided into four locations: Downtown, Overtown, Coconut Grove and Miami Beach. Through in-studio interviews, rare photos, original recordings and archive film, the musical setting of 50s and 60s South Florida will unfold. The cutting edge sounds of Rock-n-Roll and Rhythm-n-Blues re-invented music and marked the birth of two of popular music's most influential archetypes, Motown and The Beatles. Miami, with its solid reputation as "the place to see and be seen" was at the forefront of this musical odyssey.

From the Downtown Olympia Theater where Elvis Presley had the audience "All Shook Up" to Overtown's Knight Beat at the Sir John Hotel where racial tensions were combated by the revolutionary voice of Billie Holiday, popular music was abundant throughout South Florida. In the hippie Mecca known as Coconut Grove, the political landscape was changed forever by the folk music of David Crosby and Joni Mitchell. Redefining the term American Royalty, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra set Miami Beach ablaze. The Beatles Invasion of the 60's brought screaming teens to their knees as the Fab Four brought their signature sound to South Florida along with Ed Sullivan who recorded two episodes with the Beatles at the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach. Miami had fame and the famous had Miami.

Ahh.. those Were the good ol' days... More here as well..

Changing Channels | 'All Shook Up': a toe-tapping tale of Miami and music

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami