Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 PM

20 posts, read 72,970 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is coming out for New Years and I want to take her to a new years party down in South Beach, preferably near Ocean Drive.

You guys have any recommendations on places I should check out, I'm new to the area? I'd like to be reasonable with the prices, I saw a place called Opium Garden had a party last year for $100/ticket last year which looked perfect but I don't think they're having anything this year.

Either a club or a lounge, I don't mind. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursnow View Post
My girlfriend is coming out for New Years and I want to take her to a new years party down in South Beach, preferably near Ocean Drive.

You guys have any recommendations on places I should check out, I'm new to the area? I'd like to be reasonable with the prices, I saw a place called Opium Garden had a party last year for $100/ticket last year which looked perfect but I don't think they're having anything this year.

Either a club or a lounge, I don't mind. Thanks

South Beach on New Years Eve is the last place to find "reasonable prices". If you don't know someone, you can't even get a $100 ticket to get into Opium Garden. If you manage to find a ticket to Opium Garden or some other high end club (without knowing a promoter) you will not have a fun time - they will make you wait in line forever and you will feel like crap watching people gain access right before your face. (Unless your girlfriend is very attractive) Once you get in, you will be confronted with $15 well drinks and horrible service. The ATM's even charge $10 per transaction in some of these places.

I would stay away from South Beach then, chances are it will resemble "Urban Beach Week" in May.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
South Beach on New Years Eve is the last place to find "reasonable prices". If you don't know someone, you can't even get a $100 ticket to get into Opium Garden. If you manage to find a ticket to Opium Garden or some other high end club (without knowing a promoter) you will not have a fun time - they will make you wait in line forever and you will feel like crap watching people gain access right before your face. (Unless your girlfriend is very attractive) Once you get in, you will be confronted with $15 well drinks and horrible service. The ATM's even charge $10 per transaction in some of these places.

I would stay away from South Beach then, chances are it will resemble "Urban Beach Week" in May.

He is 100% correct.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:21 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times
last year i had friends from overseas visiting me. we went to south beach relatively early (for parking), brought beer and drinks and just ran around, had some dinner and watched the fireworks. then we had more drinks they have booths everywhere where you can buy beer etc, it wasn't even that expensive as far as i remember.

forget about the clubs. overrated.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
Eh. We live in Miami. We can go to South Beach clubs any one of the 365 days out of the year. Why go when all these out of towners come take it over on these holiday weekends and get stuck paying 10 times as much? Why not take her to Cocunut Grove? Just a thought.

What you need to start doing is start making plans for the Super Bowl in 2010!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 PM

20 posts, read 72,970 times
What do they have in Coconut Grove? Sorry I just moved to Florida a couple months ago

Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
Plenty to do.Take a look at this link and see if anything interests you. I think Coconut Grove is much better suited especially if your with your girlfriend. They have clubs, restaurants, etc. Pretty much everything South Beach has.

http://www.coconutgrove.com/channels.cfm?channelcat=2 (broken link)

Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Yeah, I can't imagine you being let down by Coconut Grove. Was anyone in the Grove for halloween? I couldn't believe all the people! If New Years eve is like Halloween was, I'd pick the grove over south beach in a heart beat. Especially in the clubs, I'd rather not pay that kind of money and 15+ per drink to be around the kind of people you see there :P

Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times
or what about mary brickell village?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
If you stay away from Washington, Collins and Ocean, you can find some reasonably priced fun on South Beach. The western side offers more of a local feel, with far fewer tourists and the tourist pricing. My friends and I have spent a few New Year's Eves on South Beach, all chipping in for a couple hotel rooms at a non-blinged out hotel for pre-drink and crash, then bar hopping to places like The Abbey and Purdy Lounge. We would try to catch some fireworks and such on the sand. It was always a fun time.

We spent more of our regular weekends at the Grove, so we were less inclined to go there for a special night. But if you don't go there often, it's not bad. I had spent at least one New Year's Eve in the Grove as well. I don't recall it being nearly as packed as on Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: