Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 05:16 PM

95 posts, read 451,108 times

Advertisements

As we are planning our move to Coral Gables (June 2009) from our apartment in Buenos Aires, parts of which are suffering a power outage right now (we have been without electricity for 30 hours,but thank God our building has a generator) I was wondering:

How often do blackouts happen in Miami/Coral Gables area, or even South Florida in general? Besides after a hurricane, of course.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 03:15 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
Never that I have seen .. You are coming from Argentina?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 AM

415 posts, read 1,660,635 times
Power outages are more common in Miami than other parts of the country. At work, our power goes out very briefly about once every two months. It's just enough to restart our computers, reset the time on our phones, etc. At home, I've only witnessed one power outage for a very short period of time.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Great to know! Thanks!

Burgler: I am a US Citizen, originally from Brazil, lived in NYC for 10 years, now I am living in Argentina (my husband is from here) and we are moving back to the US (C. Gables) in June.

Summer is just starting down here, but we had exceptionally high temps this past week, so (what usually happens only in January), the power went off in several parts of the city. It's been almost 2 days for us.

How about generators in condos, how common is that in Miami?

In 10 years in NYC the only time I had no power was during that big blackout of 2002. Another reason to love the US!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
That's really cool, boa sorte, I'm sure you will love Miami! You won't really see generator in Condos in Miami.. you really don't have to worry about blackouts here though!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's really cool, boa sorte, I'm sure you will love Miami! You won't really see generator in Condos in Miami.. you really don't have to worry about blackouts here though!
Obrigada, Burgler! Good to know that blackouts are not a common problem in Miami.

Here in Buenos Aires they certainly are, and it's a drag.

Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 PM

710 posts, read 2,225,488 times
The only real issues with power outages are after hurricanes. Many of my neighbors have installed generators because of this.

Coral Gables is actually one of the worst places for power outages because A. most of the power lines are above ground (usually in backs of homes) and B. because we have so many trees.
After a hurricane, FP&L needs to repair SO many lines, that some blocks wait weeks before power is restored. Again, this is only after a bad hurricane, not everyday.
I would agree that power flickers a lot, but is rarely off for more than a few seconds. A good UPS is required for your computers and other electronics.

FWIW, we're looking into solar for our back-up. We could use it everyday to supplement our power needs (the meter will run backwards at times) and switch over to it 100% during power outages (with batteries for night-time use).

Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,621,483 times
Not too many lengthy power outages on a regular basis, more like a few split second ones a month.

One other electricity-related issue that you want to be aware of is lightning. It is a really good idea to have surge protectors on all of your valuable appliances and electronics, if not a main one for the whole house. The entire state of FL gets a LOT of lightning, and it can and will fry your electronics. My parents had one strike take out a TV, VCR and their range hood several years ago.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,322,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
The only real issues with power outages are after hurricanes. Many of my neighbors have installed generators because of this.

Coral Gables is actually one of the worst places for power outages because A. most of the power lines are above ground (usually in backs of homes) and B. because we have so many trees.
After a hurricane, FP&L needs to repair SO many lines, that some blocks wait weeks before power is restored. Again, this is only after a bad hurricane, not everyday.
I would agree that power flickers a lot, but is rarely off for more than a few seconds. A good UPS is required for your computers and other electronics.

FWIW, we're looking into solar for our back-up. We could use it everyday to supplement our power needs (the meter will run backwards at times) and switch over to it 100% during power outages (with batteries for night-time use).

Yes lots trees my aunt lives in Coral Gables its like a forest . 1 Pm all sun and yet it looks like a shaded forest in front of her house,street.

Its nice if I had the money and had to stay in S.Florida it would be there

Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,463,307 times
twice every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: