Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
really? please point out why you think the post is catastrophically wrong?
Well, the post said that there are no bad areas of Miami, when there clearly are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:57 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Everyone talks about the bad and good areas on these forums. The reality is that the more money you have to spend on a home the better the area your going to be living in.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM

244 posts, read 920,474 times
Hey Banx, most of Hialeah is middle class and lower middle class with moderate crime (mostly property crime) levels. However, southeast Hialeah, near the area where 79th street runs into Hialeah is industrial, gritty, poorly lit, and quite poor. For these reasons, more crime seems to happen in this area of Hialeah. Granted, it's not on the same level as Liberty City or Opa Locka. My grandma lives out there and she has been the victim of various crimes (muggings, burglaries, etc.) and the thug element is very strong in this part of Dade county. West Hialeah, near the Palmetto suffers from much of the same problems. It's ugly, industrial, deserted at night, and full of low rent apartment buildings that are poorly lit and concentrated in a couple of areas. Snobby people in Hialeah are kidding themselves and most of them live in areas outside of the city limits like Miami Lakes, Hialeah Gardens, etc. While you're not likely to see alot of murders in Hialeah, their are plenty of assaults, armed robberies, burglaries, and plain nastiness. Just my two cents as someone who was born in Hialeah and raised in other areas of Dade and Broward.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Well, the post said that there are no bad areas of Miami, when there clearly are.
define a bad area. perhaps you and other like minded posters are really just soft. miami is about as bad as the common cold. there is no really violent crime here unless you are involved in some form of illicit trade.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:58 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Hey Banx, most of Hialeah is middle class and lower middle class with moderate crime (mostly property crime) levels. However, southeast Hialeah, near the area where 79th street runs into Hialeah is industrial, gritty, poorly lit, and quite poor. For these reasons, more crime seems to happen in this area of Hialeah. Granted, it's not on the same level as Liberty City or Opa Locka. My grandma lives out there and she has been the victim of various crimes (muggings, burglaries, etc.) and the thug element is very strong in this part of Dade county. West Hialeah, near the Palmetto suffers from much of the same problems. It's ugly, industrial, deserted at night, and full of low rent apartment buildings that are poorly lit and concentrated in a couple of areas. Snobby people in Hialeah are kidding themselves and most of them live in areas outside of the city limits like Miami Lakes, Hialeah Gardens, etc. While you're not likely to see alot of murders in Hialeah, their are plenty of assaults, armed robberies, burglaries, and plain nastiness. Just my two cents as someone who was born in Hialeah and raised in other areas of Dade and Broward.
Yeah, that's really interesting. Where 79th streets runs into Hialeah, would that happen to be right near the Tri-Rail station at all? You're right it is very poorly lit, and that's one thing I noticed that seperates Miami's bad neighborhood's from Chicago's, is that Miami on alot of streets it is so dark and so poorly lit, and gives everything such a shadier appearence. At least in most other bad neighborhoods in other cities you can at least see your hand in front of your face, I mean it's almost pitch black in some areas of Dade. But yeah, I remember being in that area you describe though, I remember some guy on a bike, Hispanic of some sort, stopped peddling and gave these two Haitian girls who were walking down the street a really mean look and just stared them down until they turned a corner n then he moved on, real hostile lookin. I think the ugly look of the area though has to do with the immediate neighboring of the uglier neighborhoods of Gladeview and West Little River. But I wouldn't know as much as you. That was interesting though.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
well gee lets see ...

you just named the top 6 worse cities in the united states

why would you put miami against those? the only place that i believe miami's neighborhoods don't rival is nola.
Miami doesn't rival any of those cities. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Last edited by DCkid; 12-02-2008 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
define a bad area. perhaps you and other like minded posters are really just soft. miami is about as bad as the common cold. there is no really violent crime here unless you are involved in some form of illicit trade.
Or maybe you're just trying to come off hard behind your computer screen.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post
Miami doesn't rival any of those cities. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
i bet

Quote:
my step dad and 5 of his brothers have ALL been robbed before, some more than once and they work in the construction business; does building sidewalks qualify as illict trade?

Last edited by blackklight; 12-02-2008 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM

149 posts, read 562,368 times
Quote:
I agree to an extent. There is violent crime here but there is FAR WORSE in the US. I've said it before. If you want to avoid crime, move to the Mountains of Montana and lock yourself in a cabin. There's crime everywhere. A crime rate is just a statistic. How do you even know what's reported and what's not? Charlotte, North Carolina isn't typically known as a dangerous city, but do you think you can walk through Charlotte's worst neighborhood at 2am selling girl scout cookies? You think you can go to an ATM in Charlotte's worst neighborhood at 2am and pull out 800 bucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
This is kind of what I was assuming...and hoping to hear.

I notice you mentioned Flint...3rd largest city in Michigan. We do have some dandy areas here.
LOL. Yep. I know all about the Flintstones. The midwest probably has THE THREE worst cities in the United States when it comes to crime and poverty. Detroit and Flint Michigan, and Gary Indiana. I think that unless you have been to any of those three areas, you will not understand the magnitude of CRUDINESS that exists in those cities

The only place in Miami that I think could be in the same conversation as those cities is Opa Locka and there are midsize colleges bigger than Opa Locka. Really, most of the crime in Opa Locka occurs with an the "Triangle Area" anyway.

Last edited by DCkid; 12-02-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post
I agree to an extent. There is violent crime here but there is FAR WORSE in the US. I've said it before. If you want to avoid crime, move to the Mountains of Montana and lock yourself in a cabin. There's crime everywhere. A crime rate is just a statistic. How do you even know what's reported and what's not? Charlotte, North Carolina isn't typically known as a dangerous city, but do you think you can walk through Charlotte's worst neighborhood at 2am selling girl scout cookies? You think you can go to an ATM in Charlotte's worst neighborhood at 2am and pull out 800 bucks?

LOL. Yep. I know all about the Flintstones. The midwest probably has THE THREE worst cities in the United States when it comes to crime and poverty. Detroit and Flint Michigan, and Gary Indiana. I think that unless you have been to any of those three areas, you will not understand the magnitude of CRUDINESS that exists in those cities

The only place in Miami that I think could be in the same conversation as those cities is Opa Locka and there are midsize colleges bigger than Opa Locka. Really, most of the crime in Opa Locka occurs with an the "Triangle Area" anyway.
Well, you don't live in any of those bad areas, you live in Fort Lauderdale. Areas of Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, Overton, Florida City, etc. are definitely would anyone would consider "dangerous". If they're not so bad then why not try living in them? They're bargain priced, and "safe" to boot (if using the logic that there's no bad areas of Dade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami