Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 21,873 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pursue college in the north miami area. I'm living in RI now but looking to leave this small state for a larger city. Comming out of the inner city. Overall opinion of the area. positives negitives for a young student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Johnson and Whales is located there. I think they have a branch in Rhode Island as well, if that is your thing. Otherwise, FIU is close by as is MDC (north campus, somewhat...). Overall, North Miami is an urban suburb with substandard housing and high crime west of I-95 to expensive, less run-down housing to the east. Crime is an issue throughout the city, but less so in the east. I have two friends who live there. It is mostly a city with Hispanic and African-Caribbeans (Haiti, Jamacia, the Antilles). Not much in the way of a student community, but one of the less expensive areas for a college student to live. If you want out of the inner city, and want one step up, North Miami would be it. Otherwise, if you want a nice suburban area, keep looking.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,452 times
Barry University is nearby. You will have to come take a look around. I would avoid the apartments on NE 6 th ave. The area does seem a little depressed. There are some better apts near Oleta State Park, I think. Or maybe they are condos. I would not recommend going to Miami Dade College, (that is in Opa Locka.....sorry Opa Locka people). Stick to FIU North campus, or Barry University.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Barry is right there and I forgot about it! Thanks Laurie. I actually went to MDC north Campus. I liked it, but then again I am from here lol. If this person is coming from inner city, then I think MDC would be a run of the mill type place. I never had any problems there, and the security in the parking lot was excellent as was it throughout the campus in general. Once my car broke down, and they have a policy where they will tow it if it is left overnight. Well, I explained that I didn't have the $ for a tow and they told me they would not report it and keep an eye on it as well until I could have a friend tow it for me. Thought that solidarity was pretty cool. Anyways, good luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:26 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Johnson and Whales is located there. I think they have a branch in Rhode Island as well, if that is your thing. Otherwise, FIU is close by as is MDC (north campus, somewhat...). Overall, North Miami is an urban suburb with substandard housing and high crime west of I-95 to expensive, less run-down housing to the east. Crime is an issue throughout the city, but less so in the east. I have two friends who live there. It is mostly a city with Hispanic and African-Caribbeans (Haiti, Jamacia, the Antilles). Not much in the way of a student community, but one of the less expensive areas for a college student to live. If you want out of the inner city, and want one step up, North Miami would be it. Otherwise, if you want a nice suburban area, keep looking.

?????

I used to live in North Miami and it's not really fair to call it one step up from the inner city. Sure, the farther west you go the more apt your description, but closer to Biscayne Blvd is beautiful. Now I have no idea about rentals since I owned a house, but my whole area (140th and Biscayne) was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: