Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,967,911 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd make a thread because it is fun

So far I've been in Miami 5 months now and I still haven't experienced this Latin American rudeness or snobs

I go to the Wal-Mart in Hialeah, and the workers remember me, just today I walked in and was waved at and greeted by two workers who remembered me from checking out, and when I was checking out the lady said to the other cashier "he my friend"

I frequent restaurants in sweetwater, little havana and other places where no english is spoken and often times I'm greeted by more than one waitress on what I think of the food, how I'm doing etc..

At my parking garage, every single one of the workers waves at me each time I come and go and always smiles at me

Workers at the gas stations oftentimes start conversations with me, and are almost always happy

No one has ever gotten mad at me for not having perfect Spanish, and they are always happy to see me trying to speak it, many will repeat what they have said if I don't understand and speak slowly for me if necessary. I've never once had a worker at Publix, Wal-Mart etc not be more than willing to show me where something is and walk me over to where the item is. I've even had non-workers help show me around if I can't find something!

Miami is undoubfully the most friendly city I've spent time in, much more than Chicago, Grand Rapids, MI, San Diego, Denver, Boulder

I can't understand how Miami gets such a bad rep, and the only thing I can link it to is people being inconsiderate in the first place.

I hope anyone considering the move to Miami isn't put off by so much negativity to this city on this forum, because it truly is a wonderful city. The people are all so accomodating, the weather is amazing, the views are awesome, you can meet people from all around the world, and have a great time! Granted the city does have its problems, like any other large city in the US, but if you come here with an open mind, and willing to accept other people, this might just be the best city in the US for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 07:06 AM

415 posts, read 1,667,851 times
I never thought people in Miami were rude. I've been here for a while now and I rarely run across rude people. I've lived in many other places in the U.S. and thought folks were ruder in other cities, like NYC and Boston.

However, I do think it's very odd how certain minority groups refuse to integrate into society. Cubans in Doral have social skills and will integrate and fit in among any other ethnic group and contribute to positively to society. The Cubans around Calle Ocho and parts of Hialeah are a different story. Most refuse to learn English and stick around people like themselves. Then they look at you like you have three heads when you talk to them in English. It's pretty sad actually. Probably the only place in the U.S. that is like this.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:27 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,405,798 times
I've been to many cities, and I could tell you that there are rude people everywhere. Most of the times where I've experience rude people is when driving. I think that if you let someone cut in, the least that they could do is wave, or say thanks. I respond to numerous loud party calls. It amazes me how people think it's OK to blast music and have people yelling at 4:00 am. Another thing that gets me, is when you hold a door open for someone and they just walk through as if they're a king or queen. These are all things that are not limited to Miami, or the "third worlders". "Third Worlders". Hmmm, who's complaining about rudeness????

Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,405,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
However, I do think it's very odd how certain minority groups refuse to integrate into society. Cubans in Doral have social skills and will integrate and fit in among any other ethnic group and contribute to positively to society. The Cubans around Calle Ocho and parts of Hialeah are a different story. Most refuse to learn English and stick around people like themselves. Then they look at you like you have three heads when you talk to them in English. It's pretty sad actually. Probably the only place in the U.S. that is like this.
Most of the Latins in Doral aren't Cuban. There are some, but most are Venezuelans, Argentinians, and Columbians. Doral is also a more expensive city to live in. I think that you will find that the residents who live there are probably a little more educated than residents from the poorer areas that you mentioned. You'll get the same results with any race or nationality when using different areas.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,534,744 times
well, I have lived in miami since arriving here fourty nine years ago. with the exception of my military service this is the only place I have live in full time.

while in the service I lived in san diego, orlando, jacksonville, boston, spain, italy and sicily.

business caused me to live in brasil part time from 1993 to 1996. there I lived in rio, são paulo and recife.

aside from that we have travelled extensively throughout the united states, north america, central america, south america and the caribbean.

I have to say that I don't recall ever meeting a rude person in any of those places.

I have heard reports of rude people in all of those places but they must have all remained home during my visits or stays.

YMMV

Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 AM

294 posts, read 1,150,411 times
If 99 latinos are nice to you, and one is rude, then they are all rude and snobbish. That is the thinking here unfortunately of a small few. Fortunately, though, most people here don't think like that.

On an overall percentage basis, I've had much better relations with the latinos here in Miami than with my fellow 'gringos'. My only gripe with Miami is the customer service - it's almost non existant in some places. Oh yeah, the drivers suck too.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,585,591 times
It is the Miami Forum that is rude, this makes you think the rest of Miami is rude and what they say about Miami and that is not to say all people are rude on this forum. One has to experience the city for themselves and not listen to others opinions

Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,471,627 times
Cubans do integrate into American society. You just see the ones who do not. The ones that do integrate blend in and you dotn even realize soem of them are even Cuban. My father and myself are Cubans and we both have college degrees and are doing well with high paying successful carreers.

My grandmother on the other hand has not integrated one bit! She moved here back in 1955 and she is 94 years old now. She still does not speak english to this day. Most of the younger generation knows engilsh. In the next 15-20 years I am wiling to bet almost oll of miami's Cuban popluation will speak English.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,346,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Most of the Latins in Doral aren't Cuban. There are some, but most are Venezuelans, Argentinians, and Columbians. Doral is also a more expensive city to live in. I think that you will find that the residents who live there are probably a little more educated than residents from the poorer areas that you mentioned. You'll get the same results with any race or nationality when using different areas.
I live in Doral and Cuban but your correct most are Venezuelans not that I go knocking on doors to ask what group folks belong to lol but imagine 85% Venezuelan?

GREAT neighbors very quite family people .
Not friendly even with each other but thats their business .
You dont hear a peep in the area esp at night unless you drive by the house near the Jewish cemetary owned by music blasting loud Cuban family.

They give me hope in voting out the do nothing Cuban incumbent Mayor

Old 12-05-2008, 03:00 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,346,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Cubans do integrate into American society. You just see the ones who do not. The ones that do integrate blend in and you dotn even realize soem of them are even Cuban. My father and myself are Cubans and we both have college degrees and are doing well with high paying successful carreers.

My grandmother on the other hand has not integrated one bit! She moved here back in 1955 and she is 94 years old now. She still does not speak english to this day. Most of the younger generation knows engilsh. In the next 15-20 years I am wiling to bet almost oll of miami's Cuban popluation will speak English.

I agree most Cubans here now will speak English but the flow from all over Latin America will still keep Miami a Spanish speaking area and perhaps by then much of Cuba will also be here which keeps us Spanish.

Keep in mind people who say Cubans this or Cubans that have no idea if person is Cuban or Colombian or any group.
I say that as often hear Cubans dont speak English which isnt exactly off but some consider every Hispanic here Cuban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami