Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times

Advertisements

Cuba

You are wrong.
Coral Gables is styled after Miramar in Havana, Cuba, and Miramar is grid-like just like Miami.
For example, you've got 5th Ave. That's the top Avenue in Miramar.
Miramar is packed with luscious, exhuberant vegetation.
Havana is grid-like, except Old Havana and Centro Habana (Almost a medieval city, surrounded by a wall until not long ago).
Moderator cut: Trolling/Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-14-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Miami is the easiest metro I have ever commuted - except for the predictably frequent traffic accidents 24/7. I absolutely love the numbering system here. However, if Hispanics had taken over Miami at an earlier time, like the 1920's, then most of Miami would have a grid like old Coral Gables.
I was in Colombia in 8+ cities and each one had a grid system just like Miami. It was just as easy to Navigate in Colombia as it is in Miami

Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I was in Colombia in 8+ cities and each one had a grid system just like Miami. It was just as easy to Navigate in Colombia as it is in Miami
You sound like such a Kid. The grid in Miami is based on a 'right angle', as in the intersections of the grid are @ 90 degree angles. In Colombia, their city grids are like most foreign cities in the world, designed in the all too common "spyderweb" fashion.

Do not believe me? Let's go on a google earth trip to Colombia! You'll see that their cities are a conglomeration of angled/diagonal streets. Not a square-grid like in Miami.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Cuba

Take a look at Miramar (based in numbers) and Vedado (based in letters).
90 degrees angles.
All former inhabitants of those sections now live in Coral Gables, Biscayne Boulevard and the best neighbourhoods in Miami, but compared to Miramar and Vedado, all those areas are ghetto.
I know, I live a few months of the year in a formerly segregated former gated community in that area. Even in ruins, and with people "camouflaged for the night" rambling around, the place kicks the hell out of your top notch neighbourhoods.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 07-15-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
You sound like such a Kid. The grid in Miami is based on a 'right angle', as in the intersections of the grid are @ 90 degree angles. In Colombia, their city grids are like most foreign cities in the world, designed in the all too common "spyderweb" fashion.

Do not believe me? Let's go on a google earth trip to Colombia! You'll see that their cities are a conglomeration of angled/diagonal streets. Not a square-grid like in Miami.
Of course no one believes you. We don't need to use Google maps, we have been there, and have driven there. Maybe you need to travel more instead of making assumptions about places you have never visited.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Of course no one believes you. We don't need to use Google maps, we have been there, and have driven there. Maybe you need to travel more instead of making assumptions about places you have never visited.
Let's think about this...

Wouldn't it be easier to analyze a city street grid from 10 miles up rather than imagining what it looks like from a street corner or from the back seat of a car? I feel like I am talking to a 5 year old.

I know I'm pushing the envelope with you here... Moderator cut: Trolling Studies have shown that women lack conceptual skill when remembering directions, they look for visual indicators like landmarks or prominent points when navigating. Men rely on their North, South, East, West orientation.

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-16-2009 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Cuba Libre,

Most Colombian cities are on top the mountains. Are you familiar with the Andes? You just cannot build straight roads all the time. It does not mean however that they don't use the number system or that they roads are hard to navigate.. You cannot learn everything from maps, be careful, you gonna end up like Ms South Carolina Teen USA 2007. Maps are not always the right answer.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:

Wouldn't it be easier to analyze a city street grid from 10 miles up rather than imagining what it looks like from a street corner or from the back seat of a car? I feel like I am talking to a 5 year old.

I know I'm pushing the envelope with you here... I can imagine this would be a hard concept for a woman to understand. Studies have shown that women lack conceptual skill when remembering directions, they look for visual indicators like landmarks or prominent points when navigating. Men rely on their North, South, East, West orientation.
Be nice

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 07-15-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:

I know I'm pushing the envelope with you here... I can imagine this would be a hard concept for a woman to understand. Studies have shown that women lack conceptual skill when remembering directions, they look for visual indicators like landmarks or prominent points when navigating. Men rely on their North, South, East, West orientation.
LOL expand your circle of women. Or studies. Are these studies done in other countries lol?

I use N,S,E,W and can find my way anywhere with a map or without. I usually don't even bother with many maps. You can spin me around and I can tell you the orientation by looking at the sky depending on the time of day. Perhaps some clairvoyance I dont know.

And cut me a break, in Florida how easy is THAT you just look at the sky and you can't miss "east" either.

I can also tell you exactly what time it is within 15 minutes any time of day if the sun is out. Idiot Savant that way. And also from having two birds live with me who's entire lives revolve around the angle of the sun.

All my girlfriends use maps and talk N S E W and all their husbands are the ones driving in circles and getting lost.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 AM

17 posts, read 30,873 times
Yes, but there can still be a lot of confusion driving around.

CASE IN POINT, no one here has mentioned that Hialeah has it's own grid system on top of the city of Miami system. So what's NW 79th Street in Miami also doubles as E 25th St in Hialeah. You also forgot to mention that Miami Beach continues the overall grid system street-wise, but it has no directional label (just "4th street" not, say, "SE 4th Street"), AND there are no numbered avenues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami