Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:14 PM

89 posts, read 1,048,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
yeah some of those pictures were similiar to some of the Carribean neighborhoods I was talking about. Pretty decripid looking. Do u know what neighborhoods these photos were taken in?
A lot were taken in the brownsville area, a few around liberty city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
That last batch had a few cool photos compositionally ddrox. I like the exaggerated perspective stuff and I liked the last photo a lot.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:43 PM

89 posts, read 1,048,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
yeah some of those pictures were similiar to some of the Carribean neighborhoods I was talking about. Pretty decripid looking. Do u know what neighborhoods these photos were taken in?
some are also the area near NW 1st st. I believe it has a high percentage of caribbean people. It's zoned with Miami Northwestern senior high if that give you a better idea of where it's located

Old 12-06-2008, 05:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
WOW. I've only ever been to Florida for WDW, but those are some scary areas!
Though our major cities can compare, their are just as many depressed looking projects in our major cities, though their may be a little less trash lying around.

But I'd say all major cities have area like that.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 PM

106 posts, read 433,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I'm not saying that this is why there is little foliage in the areas that you're thinking about, but in some parts of Florida, like my mom's neighborhood, If someone had seen it in 2006 after seeing it in 1996, say, and they didn't know anything about what happened in between those dates, they might say, "Woh--why did they tear out about 60% of the plants and trees?"

The answer is that they didn't. The hurricanes did.

And that's one reason that people sometimes don't plant a lot of stuff in Florida. It can be expensive to buy trees and plants, it can be a lot of work to maintain them, and for half of every year, a hurricane can come through at any time and rip them all out anyway--or at least give you a whole bunch more stuff to clean up afterwards.
----------------------------------
C/mon man, Hurricanes.....hmmm yeah to some degree, but demolition, rework, and concrete probably cost more to install than a tree that grows like wildfire in high water table Florida.

Go to latin america - very little streetscapes, trees....it is just the way it is just like the other person posted about Jamacia transplanted areas of town.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post
What's up with the fascination of poor folks on this board anyway? lol

To answer the question, I still think you can drive through any metropolitan area in the United States and find pictures like this. Even other parts of Florida like Belle Glade, Immokalee, and parts of Orlando.

So I rank every poor area in the US the same. A starving child is a starving child whether he lives in Liberty City or Seattle, Washington. A robbery is a robbery whether its in DC or Baltimore. You can't really make an argument that one city is worse than the next. I mean what can you say "this neighborhood has broken gates while this neighborhood has cruddy looking cars so I rank this neighborhood higher".

To be honest, some of those pictures weren't actually that bad.

"Rameau is an activist who has been executing a bailout plan of his own around Miami's empty streets: He is helping homeless people illegally move into foreclosed homes."

FOXNews.com - Miami Activist Moves Homeless Into Foreclosed Homes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
threads like these make baby jebus sad. you don't want baby jebus crying on your account so close to christmas do you?

if you would please could you take you camera and good photographic skill to a lower class neighborhood and shoot some photos?

I'll suggest the neighborhood of buena vista. this was once an awfully nice neighborhood then it went into decline. for a long time it was just awful but thankfully it's on the mend. if go to a house on 169 NE 48 st. you will also see some of my work at that house. there are also some really nice rehabs happening. I wish I had your skill so I could do it myself then I could counter balance the bad and ugly that you posted with some of the good and beautiful I routinely find.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Hey - someone should take some pictures of those newer neighborhoods out at the edge of the Glades (West of Kendall) where all the homes are individually fenced with these crazy dissimilar iron wall fences. That is some crazy stuff. The only other time I have seen that is in the SOuthwest in Mexican neighborhoods. I guess that is a paranoid theft thing the hispanics are afraid of? Or are those home owners trying to delineate 'how much property' they own? I don't get that at all. Very hideous.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM

It is not difficult to see why Miami struggles.....no one is picking on anyone.

Poorest American cities (Population over 250,000)
SOURCE- http://dcjobsource.com/richest.html
 (broken link)
Median household income, 2004
1. Miami, FL $24,031
2. Newark, NJ $26,309
3. Cleveland, OH $27,871
4. Detroit, MI $27,871
5. Buffalo, NY $28,544
CINCINNATI (TDB) — The Census Bureau released reams of data about poverty in the United States, and Ohio was the only state that held two spots in the Top Ten ranking of America’s poorest large cities. Cincinnati was No. 3 on the list and Cleveland was No. 4. They were in a a statistical dead heat with 27.8% of all Cincinnati residents living in poverty, versus 27% in Cleveland. That is roughly 185,000 people between the two cities, which once were envied around the globe as economic gems where jobs were plentiful and neighborhoods thrived.
The ranking, including the percentage in poverty, is as follows:
1. Detroit, 32.5
2. Buffalo, 29.9
3. Cincinnati, 27.8
4. Cleveland, 27.0
5. Miami, 26.9

Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,369 times
go to homestead you'll find what you're looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami