Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM

60 posts, read 249,329 times

Advertisements

Ugly cities are places like Detroit, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, San Jose, Oakland, etc...not Miami!

Still though you go on their board and never have to deal with half the crap you hear from all the haters on this one.

Miami is on par with SF as far as the third most visited city in the country.
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/cat/f-2005-45-562.html

Have some respect, please! You are just sounding ignorant and racist when you say that it is ugly because it's not like the rest of the country. Thank God let me say! Europeans wouldn't love to come visit if it wasn't a great city!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:37 PM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
Hey striker people arnt being racist when they say that it is ugly because it's not like the rest of the country i hate majority of the places in England there is alot of ugly places here.

You mentioned san jose as an ugly city me personaly i liked it i was only there for 2days but what i saw it was cool. I also like miami well i loved it been 2wice but ive never lived there. I noticed you didnt like SF again me personally i prefer SF to miami.

Everybody has different preferences some people hate miami some people love it, its thier choice.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
It depends where you go. Some parts of Miami are horrible. For those who think the tropical climate makes a beautiful city, just go to an island like Haiti...

Old 03-01-2007, 02:36 PM

34 posts, read 123,071 times
Default Primary reason for ruling out Miami

I've decided to move to Florida and have narrowed my decision down to Tampa and Orlando. This board is the primary reason I've ruled out Miami. I've never read such hateful comments. It's not the comments that have made me not want to go, it's the people who post the comments. I really can't see myself moving to an area with people with such low regard for minorities. I happen to be a minority and my best friend is Puerto-Rican...and one of the nicest people I have ever met...It pains me to see that such racist attitudes still exist.

Does anybody have anything positive to say about this city...before I totally rule it out?

Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 PM

Just go, im moving to chicago never been there so i could hate it or love it. The comments are good about chicago but even if there were bad like they are in this thread i would still go to decide for myself.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Everyone has their own opinion of what is beautiful or ugly to them. To me Hialeah, Downtown, Carol City, Doral, Liberty City, Goulds, Richmond Heights, parts of Cutler Ridge, parts of Kendall, Overtown, or the rows of cookie cutter homes out west are not that nice looking to me.

On the flip side, places like Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Redlands, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, Coconut Grove are very pretty. So to say that someone is "ignorant or racist" because someone may feel Miami is "ugly", it self is wrong. Remember everyone is intittled to their own opinion.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 PM

34 posts, read 123,071 times
Default Good Point

Anarchy,

You are so RIGHT! I almost forgot about my adventurous side. I moved to Chicago back in 1996 without knowing much about the city...except that I wanted to move there. I liked it, but I only stayed there for about a year and a half. I wasn't use to Chicago winters. I moved there from Richmond. Now if you have ever lived in Richmond, you know that the city comes to a stand-still if they get 2 inches of snow. I moved there in May and didn't really prepare myself for the winter...then who could. So I had winter clothes that were okay for a Richmond winter...but I must say it was a bit insufficient for a Chicago winter...which by the way started in NOVEMBER! Richmond didn't get winter weather until January. Jack Frost doesn't nip at your nose in Chicago, he bites it off and carries a switch blade. So if I could offer you any suggestion...get some REAL winter clothes. Going from a average winter temp of 40 degrees to -10 degrees ain't no joke! I had the pleasure of having moved there in a year when they had one of their harshest winters...I think God was trying to tell me something.

By the way, it's not very "green" there. What I mean is there are not a lot of trees in Illinois...at least not as many as there are on the east coast. In Richmond and my current home in Maryland...there are plenty of trees along the side of the road, the interstate, neighborhoods, etc.,. But not so many in Chicago. The people are nice. They move pretty fast though. Coming from the south...that was a bit odd. But you get use to it. So if you are up to the winter challenge I say God Bless and enjoy because it is a cool place to live (especially if you like Da' Bulls).

By the way...if you are looking for a place to live...I know it's been a long time, but I lived in a place called International Village in Shaumburg ('bout 30 minutes out of the city of Chicago--I worked in Chicago and lived in Shaumburg). It was GREAT! The premise was that different buildings were different countries, so there would be friendly competitions between the different countries (basketball, tennis, etc.,) and there would be regular get togethers for the residents. Great way to get to know your neighbors...lots of fun. So if they are still around check them out.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming2FL View Post
I've decided to move to Florida and have narrowed my decision down to Tampa and Orlando. This board is the primary reason I've ruled out Miami. I've never read such hateful comments. It's not the comments that have made me not want to go, it's the people who post the comments. I really can't see myself moving to an area with people with such low regard for minorities. I happen to be a minority and my best friend is Puerto-Rican...and one of the nicest people I have ever met...It pains me to see that such racist attitudes still exist.

Does anybody have anything positive to say about this city...before I totally rule it out?
I live in Miami and I agree with you totally about a few of the posters on there. And it's the same bunch, over and over and over. I've just about had it with them and was considering not even going in there anymore but, I have this personality that tells me that I have to keep defending myself, my nationality, my language, my city and I won't keep quiet when it comes to setting a few people straight. There are a few other posters who do give you facts, good ones and bad ones. I can deal with objectivity but not with blatant disregard for anything or anyone that does not fit their acceptable vision of humans.

Miami is NOT a perfect world. There is traffic, there are rude people, there is crime, it is expensive but you know, I think it's the people who can't be happy with themselves, who are frustrated, who are envious, who never had the opportunity or had the desire to expand their horizons, who are the loudest complainers.

There are nice areas in Miami, there are nice people. It all depends on what you're looking for, what are your needs, what can you afford, what lifestyle you prefer, your circle of friends and/or family, your outside interests, hobbies, etc. But I think that holds true for any free place on earth where you have the freedom to move around and do whatever you want.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 AM

Hey Coming2FL im sure i could get on fine with the cold winters as im used to the cold long winters here, Chicago has better summers and worst winters than where i am. Although i prefer the warm weather, cold weather doesnt bother me and i can cope the cold more than the warm probably becasue i live in a cold country, i will get some real winter clothing though. But whatever the weather brings it will be an experinece that i will look forward to.

A few people on this forum say that people in chicago are friendly which i was supprised about becasue most big cities everyone seems to be in a rush as you stated in your post.
Quote:
International Village in Shaumburg
i will check this area out thanks since i wont know anybody this might be a good way to meet people too.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
just remember, miami changes you in ways you never thought youd expect to.
there is no way to shelter yourself from the negativity and vices you see all around you here.
a lesson from grade school days "you become like the people you hang around"
but here you have no choice because you have to work with them.
you can play nice-nice but youll never really fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami