Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I will be very agressive with you if you are in the left lane, driving side-by-side with someone else, with no one in front of you.

I will be double aggressive with you after you brake-check me after I flash my lights asking you to speed up a little and let me though.
You have no right to be aggressive if a vehicle in any lane is already traveling at the maximum speed limit.

As for a rule that nobody can be ticketed unless they are at least 6 mph above the speed limit, I am sure that is an unwritten "rule" borne out of necessity due to lack of resources to enforce the speed limit.

The only legitimate debate, then, out of common practice and resource necessity, is whether we should raise the speed limit on certain highways, or stretches of highways, or even certain lanes on certain stretches of certain highways, to 75 or 80 (in my experience, anything above 80 risks losing control of vehicle, though others may have different experiences).

But, in the meantime, the legal limit is the legal limit and no one has the right to be aggressive against another traveling at the legal limit in the left lane or any other lane.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
I agree with the above that many highways in FL have artificially low speed limits which can/should be raised.

Meanwhile, many roads in the City are built as highways with 50+ mph design speeds straight through residential neighbourhoods and commercial business districts. We need to lower the DESIGN SPEED of these roads to a more appropriate level of 25-30 mph, 35 mph tops if it serves as a major thoroughfare.

At any rate, it should NOT feel comfortable for most drivers to do 5-10 mph over the speed limit, as it is in our current situation.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
Aggressive drivers are the morons of the planet. I've driven coast to coast countless times as someone from Miami who went to USC and then moved to Las Vegas. I can't count the number of accidents I've seen courtesy of lane changing idiotic aggressive drivers. The one thing they share is tunnel vision...no concept of angles or anyone else on the road. If they see an opening, that's where they are headed, everyone else be damned.

It's ridiculous that so many people and even politicians let them get away with it, via nonsense that slower drivers are actually equal danger. As the truck driver posted in this thread years ago, merging traffic on freeways is where we need better education and skill. Too many drivers don't enter the freeway at sufficient speed, causing problems. Other than that aggressive drivers monopolize all the mistakes.

I had to drive to Orlando on the day before Thanksgiving and saw two accidents caused by zig zag speedball nuts. On the way back from Orlando I saw a black sports car crushed underneath a truck. I found out later that the driver died after changing lanes at ridiculous speeds and not accounting for the speed of the truck...mangled underneath the back. Months earlier while heading to Tampa for the Canes/USF game I saw the same thing on I-75 that morning.

I heard a Florida police officer on the radio recently say they are hamstrung. They want to patrol the roads and crack down but the staff numbers don't allow it and there's a rule that nobody can be ticketed unless they are at least 6 mph above the speed limit. I'm not sure if that's unwritten practice or part of the law but he was frustrated that it's the way it works, and he conceded most officers allow more leeway than that.

Not all aggressive drivers are blind(ed)

Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You have no right to be aggressive if a vehicle in any lane is already traveling at the maximum speed limit.

As for a rule that nobody can be ticketed unless they are at least 6 mph above the speed limit, I am sure that is an unwritten "rule" borne out of necessity due to lack of resources to enforce the speed limit.

The only legitimate debate, then, out of common practice and resource necessity, is whether we should raise the speed limit on certain highways, or stretches of highways, or even certain lanes on certain stretches of certain highways, to 75 or 80 (in my experience, anything above 80 risks losing control of vehicle, though others may have different experiences).

But, in the meantime, the legal limit is the legal limit and no one has the right to be aggressive against another traveling at the legal limit in the left lane or any other lane.

Good Luck!
If I am in the left lane, hypothetically doing 90 and someone comes up on my tail, I will move over, even if I have to pass someone first, to make the move-over expedient.

I expect the same from others.

It is assinine when there is a left lane driver going the same speed as the car next to him. Left lane is for passing.

It is doubly assinine if the left lane driver slows down to go behind another car in order to move out of the let lane. Shouldn't have been in the left lane in the first place.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
If I am in the left lane, hypothetically doing 90 and someone comes up on my tail, I will move over, even if I have to pass someone first, to make the move-over expedient.

I expect the same from others.

It is assinine when there is a left lane driver going the same speed as the car next to him. Left lane is for passing.

It is doubly assinine if the left lane driver slows down to go behind another car in order to move out of the let lane. Shouldn't have been in the left lane in the first place.
I agreed. I like to drive on the left lane because I think it is the safest lane. If someone pull up right behind me, I will move to the right let him/her passed and then move back to the left.

I absolute hate those driving side by side and block the highway. Just move out of the way and let other pass.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I agreed. I like to drive on the left lane because I think it is the safest lane. If someone pull up right behind me, I will move to the right let him/her passed and then move back to the left.

I absolute hate those driving side by side and block the highway. Just move out of the way and let other pass.
I think it is the safest too, because normally there are no entrance ramps on the left side, so no morons over there entering the 70mph highway at 35mph

Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 PM

269 posts, read 247,004 times
I'm glad to see left as passing lane addressed in the Florida Drivers Handbook:

"Drive in the right lane and pass on the left. If there are three lanes, use the right lane for lower speed driving, the left for passing. If you stay in the right lane, watch for cars entering the expressway. Adjust your speed or move into the center lane so they can enter safely."

Florida Drivers Handbook - Expressway Driving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami