Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 PM

69 posts, read 259,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack wild View Post

my point is that im laid back. What i don't like is when i think of the stereotypes. Like some hispanic coming up to me all emotional telling me he is going to cut me up into pieces because he feels like i was looking at him funny or something. You know ... Crazy people.

I don't mind people being straight up with me or telling me how they feel but if i am making a descent effort to be respectful and cool to people and they just want to hate on me because i'm white then i could think of better places to live with warm weather, nightlife, and beaches. If it's going to be impossible to get along with the hispanics or blacks in miami even if i am cool with them then i wouldn't like it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack wild View Post
i don't mind a black and a hispanic trading coccaine across the street from me.
wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM

134 posts, read 385,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
wow
Do you have a problem??

Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
lol.

I don't mind people being straight up with me or telling me how they feel but if I am making a descent effort to be respectful and cool to people and they just want to hate on me because I'm white then I could think of better places to live with warm weather, nightlife, and beaches. If it's going to be impossible to get along with the hispanics or blacks in Miami even if I am cool with them then I wouldn't like it there.

lol, your viewpoint couldn't be more backwards

Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
lol, your viewpoint couldn't be more backwards
How so?

Im just trying to verify that this sort of thing would NOT happen, which I suspect it would not. Just making sure there isn't some sort of "we hate white folks" movement going on down there. I know that up here I get along well with people of all ethnicities. I find that sometimes some people need a little more reassurance on respect than others, but that's fine with me because I respect everyone as long as they don't disrespect me and even THEN I give them a chance.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
How so?

Im just trying to verify that this sort of thing would NOT happen, which I suspect it would not. Just making sure there isn't some sort of "we hate white folks" movement going on down there. I know that up here I get along well with people of all ethnicities. I find that sometimes some people need a little more reassurance on respect than others, but that's fine with me because I respect everyone as long as they don't disrespect me.

I'm a white boy who frequents Little Havana, Sweetwater and Haileigh (areas of high concentrations of only spanish) and I never have anything less than great service. I'm really lost as to where the reputation of bad service and rude people comes from. They won't hate you because you are white. They will hate you if you are white, rude, complain because they speak spanish and are just an ass. I'm fairly certain that the people on this board who complain how everyone is so horrible, are quite rude themselves.

I do speak Spanish, I'd say halfway between intermediate and fluent. So I think that definitely helps, and you score points with people. Try learning Spanish if you are coming down here, it is fun to learn and you pick it up quite rapidly living in Miami :P

Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm a white boy who frequents Little Havana, Sweetwater and Haileigh (areas of high concentrations of only spanish) and I never have anything less than great service. I'm really lost as to where the reputation of bad service and rude people comes from. They won't hate you because you are white. They will hate you if you are white, rude, complain because they speak spanish and are just an ass. I'm fairly certain that the people on this board who complain how everyone is so horrible, are quite rude themselves.

I do speak Spanish, I'd say halfway between intermediate and fluent. So I think that definitely helps, and you score points with people. Try learning Spanish if you are coming down here, it is fun to learn and you pick it up quite rapidly living in Miami :P
Oh I have taken 3 years of spanish it's just I never really have gotten a chance to use it so I forgot most of it. I know the basics like como estas and gracius. If I went down I would certainly relearn as much as I could.

Im just trying to get a feel for how much resentment there may be with the blacks and hispanics because if white people are being rude to them over time they may develope a stereotype towards white people and by default feel that white people are rude and so they might see harmless behavior through a certain lense that might make them a little difficult to deal with even if you are a cool laid back guy who is friendly. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine that there might be some bitter people down there based on race stereotypes. That's all Im asking.

Im hoping that if your a friendly reasonable person that you don't constantly find yourself in a stand off with people of other ethnicities over trivial every day matters like making eye contact, starting a conversation, or walking down a street in a heavily populated area of say "cubans". I mean I hate to label ethnicities and I realize that my post comes off as if I am drawing lines in the sand but that is the furthest from my attitude that you can get, Im just trying to get assurance that OTHER people don't have that sort of attitude down there in a way that would risk my safety unless of course I do something blatant to deserve it.

As far as WHERE i would go if I went to Miami I would want to get as close to the actual beach (southbeach) as I could and I would be renting and not buying -- most likely splitting rent with roomates.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Do you have a problem??
No sir, I think this conversation serves the OP perfectly... You stated that if people (specifically of the black or Hispanic race) dealt cocaine in front of your house, you wouldn't have a problem.

I got a problem with anyone dealing cocaine in front of my house. It lowers property value and raises my insurance rates when those kind of people conduct business in my area. That's why car insurance rates for anywhere in Dade County are double and sometimes triple what they would be somewhere in the Midwest.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
No sir, I think this conversation serves the OP perfectly... You stated that if people (specifically of the black or Hispanic race) dealt cocaine in front of your house, you wouldn't have a problem.

I got a problem with anyone dealing cocaine in front of my house. It lowers property value and raises my insurance rates when those kind of people conduct business in my area. That's why car insurance rates for anywhere in Dade County are double and sometimes triple what they would be somewhere in the Midwest.
Yeah well contrary to popular belief you can't stop everyone from doing cocaine man.

My point was merely that I am not worried about what some other people who have more to lose might be worried about. I just want to move to a place with more abundance and better weather without getting stabbed, robbed, mugged, or shot.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah well contrary to popular belief you can't stop everyone from doing cocaine man.

My point was merely that I am not worried about what some other people who have more to lose might be worried about. I just want to move to a place with more abundance and better weather without getting stabbed, robbed, mugged, or shot.
I don't care if people do coke either. Most people who do it are middle or upper class. I don't even think it should be illegal, but the true fact is that because it is a scarce commodity (like booze during prohibition) and it produces shady people who sell it. I just don't want someone 'posted' in front of my house selling it, or anywhere near my house.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Mack, your imagination is running wild. Miami is a kooky weird and wild American city. But it is essentially just an American city, just like anyplace else. If you are a young man open minded as you say you are you'll have a wonderful time there. Go directly to South Beach. It's beautiful you'll love it - I did - I lived there for 3 fabulous years. Don't believe what everybody in West Dade says, the people in South Beach are wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami