Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,278,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
I assume you mean NY from Manhattan right?
-
Nah, I know what you mean.
You're wrong though, they ain't going back.
Face it, you'll always be a serf here.
Face what?

So New Yorkers are the problem; they are the reckless drivers and the non-English speakers? Ooooo-K!

Obviously, those who are here and those who are legal US citizens ARE here to stay, but we can at least pull the plug on the "wet foot, dry foot" policy to stop any further damage from occurring and focus on helping Cubans in Cuba, which includes lifting the ridiculous embargo on that country and actually talking to Raul Castro, even though that may not be the popular thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM

134 posts, read 384,439 times
I am utterly disgusted by the amount of outright biggotry in this thread coming from posters who probably have never even had any direct problems with people of other ethnicities or races.

What is the matter with you people? Someone yell in you in Spanish? Get over yourselves. Some of you literally make me sick to my stomach. What the hell is wrong with you people?? If everyone was white it sounds like Miami has the same issues as any other big city but since there are so many people that arn't white it sounds like that's really the core of some of your issues when you boil it right down, and that's just lame.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM

640 posts, read 1,816,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Face what?

So New Yorkers are the problem; they are the reckless drivers and the non-English speakers? Ooooo-K!

Obviously, those who are here and those who are legal US citizens ARE here to stay, but we can at least pull the plug on the "wet foot, dry foot" policy to stop any further damage from occurring and focus on helping Cubans in Cuba, which includes lifting the ridiculous embargo on that country and actually talking to Raul Castro, even though that may not be the popular thing to do.
I expect that things will change under Obama, if he's not BSing. There will be dialog with Raul Castro. There's no good reason not to. It may not be a popular thing to do among a certain demographic in the Miami area; I don't think many others will have a problem with it.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,520,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
blank I do not need your violin but if you read my post again I did include actual events that did occur in Miami including the huge billboard on I-95 in the early 80s telling us that the last American leaving Miami to please bring the flag with them.
By the way please define your "standards"?

heh! back when those were around I used to have a bumper sticker that said "will the last bigot leaving miami see me for gas money. it lead to some fun confrontations back when I enjoyed that type of activity.

come to miami, we're not shooting at you!!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM

742 posts, read 1,222,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As a hispanic I had to deal with absolute racism from many white "anglos" growing up from laughing at many Cubans by calling them rafters, trying to pass an English only amendment in Dade County to them feeling they were powerless politically and them labeling Miami as a "third world city".
yeah...but i dont consider making immigrants learn english a racist issue

Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM

292 posts, read 952,719 times
Powerless? America started with English- it will continue (everywhere else) to be an English speaking country- powerlessness has nothing to do with it.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,809,250 times
powerless? Miami is in USA ... of course the government officials must speak English .. Miami is a city in USA.. not a different country with different rules.

USA has freedom of speech which allows people to speak any language they wish, but don't complain because they can't speak English... the same, a non-spanish speaking person has no room to complain people here don't speak english.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM

118 posts, read 312,714 times
In order to understand the reality,how do immigrants got their U.S citizenship if they didn't know english ?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,282,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewcomer View Post
In order to understand the reality,how do immigrants got their U.S citizenship ...?
Most around here don't it seems. Of hte people I know in Miami less than 1 in 10 are citizens.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,809,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Most around here don't it seems. Of hte people I know in Miami less than 1 in 10 are citizens.
is it really that small amount of people? do they come here on travel visas and not return? how exactly does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami