Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM

102 posts, read 421,304 times

Advertisements

I moved to Miami from Tampa in 2006. I have strong opinions (both pro and con) about both.
What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM

145 posts, read 301,363 times
Maybe you can start things off??

Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,495,880 times
In my opinion Miami is the only real city in Florida. Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville are overgrown towns.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 AM

102 posts, read 421,304 times
Miami moves much faster than Tampa and has more lights. I know it's a weird observation, but I remember visiting my family in Tampa over the holidays and thinking "it's so dark... where is the orange glow in the night sky?"
I think Tampa is prettier. More trees, beautiful bay views, parks, lakes, etc... Miami is very concrete. The lights on the skyline are nice at night, but during the day not so much.
I like Tampa for restaurants. They have a much more homegrown "good eating" culture, IMO. Every time I visit, there's a new bar, sandwich shop or bistro type place. Miami has a lot of good food, don't get me wrong, but I think there's more of a combination of creativity and affordability in Tampa.
Miami is much more unique than Tampa. The plethora of ethnic enclaves is Miami's present and future, whereas for now, it is Tampa's past.
Miami has colors, Tampa has bricks. I like both.
Miami is truly Florida's big city. Government centers, American Airlines hub, largest mass transit in the state, worldwide name recognition, TV shows, movies... Tampa got excited for the Predator movie... Woohoo!
I do think the people of Tampa are nicer and are there because they want to be there. Miami on the other hand is a transitory city where it seems like everyone is there because they're making a stop between where they're from and where they're going.

Those are some of my observations...

Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
As I have said in a few other threads, my perception is that South Florida altogether is a different animal. Meaning, if you are looking to get that down home southern hospitality, Miami would definitely not be the place for you. I would not by any means compare any city in South Florida to NY, but it is definitely more NYish than the Northern parts of Florida. I don't really know about Tampa per say, but I have heard it is much more country than people would think and that is a good thing if that is what you are looking for. I'm moving down (hopefully as soon as I get my job) soon and it is a good transition for me. It is much slower than NY, but not quite as slow as let's say Alabama, so it is just the right slow down for me.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,666,322 times
Tampa isn't country at all. It is suburbia through and through. And with the increasing number of Cuban-Americans moving up here it is becoming more and more reminicent of Miami everyday culturally. I could do without the orange houses and spanish tiles because I have always hated the color orange but I am so glad we are finally getting some decent cuban food up here. I had a guy at a so called Cuban Restaraunt in town prepare a Media Noche with fried onions and mushrooms! And he was the new freaking owner! Thankfully the local cuban community will not tolerate this for long lol. Dude keeps wondering where all of the previous owners clients went but refuses to do things the right way. What's next, ketchup on a Cuban sandwich? I don't want to give him any ideas though lol.

And the people here in Tampa are a lot snottier than the people in Miami in my experience. Everytime I go back to Miami I dread having to come back to Tampa.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 PM

170 posts, read 448,661 times
If people in Tampa are snottier than people in Miami, Tampa must be pretty darn snotty. People in Miami act like you are not there. They don't say excuse me or the Spanish equivalent if they bump into you. They just act like they bumped into a desk or something.

Last edited by Migsly; 01-20-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,666,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
If people in Tampa are snottier than people in Miami, Tampa must be pretty darn snotty. People in Miami act like you are not there. They don't say excuse me or the Spanish equivalent if they bump into you. They just act like the bumped into a desk or something.

That's pretty much how they act here although if you say excuse me to them they will shoot you a dirty look.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
That's pretty much how they act here although if you say excuse me to them they will shoot you a dirty look.
Everyone tells me the people in that area of the state are extremely nice when compared to what they consider *******s down here.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,631,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Everyone tells me the people in that area of the state are extremely nice when compared to what they consider *******s down here.
Honestly, I have not found Central Floridians to be any more "nice" or "polite" than Southern Floridians. I don't think Tampa is a "friendlier" place than Miami for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami