Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM

640 posts, read 1,822,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Moderator cut: .. I would say 90% of the cars zipping around the Brickell area like idiots are Latins.
Keeper, you changed "South American males" (or something like that) to "Latins". You didn't make much of an improvement. Why'd you bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Please get back to the original topic. Don't turn this into another race bashing thread.
Are you serious? Many, many posts on this board are race-bashing. I'm just wondering what was so special about this one. Did someone flag it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 AM

640 posts, read 1,822,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
My biggest gripe with South Florida has always been its drivers. I find that driving defensively here is almost more dangerous than going with the flow. Just yesterday on my drive home from work I was 'honked' at and passed at least three times for going the speed limit on A1A. And let's not even start with the suicidal drives on I-95 or the Palmetto. I really wish law enforcement would get its act together and do something. How many more murders on our roads will it take?
In Miami Beach, where it's more than one lane each way? Were you staying to the right? Going the speed limit doesn't mean that you have the right to stay to the left; you get in the left lane if you're passing, or are going to turn left. So many South Floridians lack that bit of knowledge. In Massachusetts it's an infraction of a state regulation to drive in the left lane when not passing (since it creates a hazard). The speed you're driving has nothing to do with it.

Another bit of obnoxiousness here is the number of big trucks that use the left-most lane. I think Broward now has a regulation against it; not sure about Miami-Dade.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Keeper, you changed "South American males" (or something like that) to "Latins". You didn't make much of an improvement. Why'd you bother?
No, Keeper did not change that, I wrote 'Latins' - to be less offensive, even though most reckless drivers in the Brickell area seemed to be from South America. Not too many sports car offenders were Cuban, but mostly newly arrived or 'vacationing' Venezuelans, Colombians, or Brazillionaires.

The reason I neglected to add Cubans to the list of offensive drivers in the downtown area is because the Cubans with the money to buy these hot cars have been in America for generations and are assimilated and respect our driving laws. The rich Cubans made their money here, and therefore had generations to adapt to American customs, driving habits, etc. They "big money transplants" from South America have not had enough time in Florida to get slapped by our driving laws, much less have their license suspended. The newer, poorer, or more recent Cubans ( yes they do exist) cannot afford the vehicles you see speeding around Brickell. The 'fresher', or more recent wave of rich South Americans is at fault for most of the stupid and egotistical driving in my old area - Brickell - where the poor doctor was run over.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
In Miami Beach, where it's more than one lane each way? Were you staying to the right? Going the speed limit doesn't mean that you have the right to stay to the left; you get in the left lane if you're passing, or are going to turn left. So many South Floridians lack that bit of knowledge.
Center lane. It happened from Sunny Isles to Surfside. Was driving 30 in a 30MPH lane as I was in no hurry to get home with the in-laws waiting.

Am fully aware of the left-lane rule (of course, this doesn't apply on I-95 where there are no fast or slow lanes).

Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM

43 posts, read 215,526 times
Miami News - Crash Dummies - page 1 - Miami New Times

The City of Miami ranks first in the nation in terms of pedestrians run over by cars. About six of every 100,000 people are killed each year, according to the most recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Miami does have more problems with hit and runs than other cities... the entire Atlanta area had only 17 (and Atlanta is freakin' huge!) hit and runs. Miami-Dade Co. had 46!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 PM

99 posts, read 425,890 times
Atlanta population - 519,145
Supposed Atlanta hit and runs - 17

Miami Dade Population - 2,387,170
Supposed Miami Dade hit and runs - 46

Seems pretty self explanitory to me.

Article is 3 years old btw.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Atlanta only has 519,000 people now? Wow! So many people must have left I guess.

Anyhow, did you read the article JulianM09? It read a little something like this in the first paragraph...

"The City of Miami ranks first in the nation in terms of pedestrians run over by cars. About six of every 100,000 people are killed each year, according to the most recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
Atlanta population - 519,145
Supposed Atlanta hit and runs - 17

Miami Dade Population - 2,387,170
Supposed Miami Dade hit and runs - 46

Seems pretty self explanitory to me.

Article is 3 years old btw.

17 is for ALL of Fulton Co, which includes Atlanta. Not just the actual city of Atlanta.

Also from the same article, it reads... "About six of every 100,000 people are killed each year, according to the most recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That’s more than New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, or Phoenix."

And who cares if the article is from 2006, do you think it has gotten any better? If anything, it has gotten worse! Why do some folks simply dodge facts when presented to them? I mean, OK, you like Miami, but sometimes admitting the problems instead of avoiding them and defending the scum that make up such a large percentage of Miami's population makes it even worse because it doesnt produce any positive results.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywall mud View Post
Atlanta only has 519,000 people now? Wow! So many people must have left I guess.

Anyhow, did you read the article JulianM09? It read a little something like this in the first paragraph...

"The City of Miami ranks first in the nation in terms of pedestrians run over by cars. About six of every 100,000 people are killed each year, according to the most recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."
Do you Drywall understand what "6 of every 100,000 people" means? Its a per capita figure meaning many more cities have much higher actual hit and runs.

Another thing, Atlanta is probly the fastst growing city in the country, your assumption is completely ridiculous.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywall mud View Post
17 is for ALL of Fulton Co, which includes Atlanta. Not just the actual city of Atlanta.

Also from the same article, it reads... "About six of every 100,000 people are killed each year, according to the most recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That’s more than New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, or Phoenix."

And who cares if the article is from 2006, do you think it has gotten any better? If anything, it has gotten worse! Why do some folks simply dodge facts when presented to them? I mean, OK, you like Miami, but sometimes admitting the problems instead of avoiding them and defending the scum that make up such a large percentage of Miami's population makes it even worse because it doesnt get any results.
Fulton County population - 816,006

Miami Dade County population - 2,387,170

Still pretty self explanitory.

And again per capita figures then center on the city of Miami not the county, comparing a city of 400K to cities of millions meaning all tose other cities most definately have much higher statistics.

You make some pretty big assumptions on your last note, and I don't take assumptions well, I think they're stupid, so I'll just leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami