Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

The Bentley (I can't afford it, but I love the new design), nice to see someone that drives such a car, stop and shop at Walmart. But it does show the extremes in Miami. The rest are just what I think Mexico City, Mexico would look like. Why are these shack homes allowed to exist? Why hasn't someone complained about the eye sore of the shacks? These shacks just make the community look worse.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-24-2007 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 09:56 AM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
what gets me is this one
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=...4554716&size=o

look at the work that went into the poles on that handrail
someone put a great deal of effort into that one upon a time and probably decades ago it was a restaurant or something.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:36 PM

170 posts, read 285,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The Bentley (I can't afford it, but I love the new design), nice to see someone that drives such a car, stop and shop at Walmart. But it does show the extremes in Miami. The rest are just what I think Mexico City, Mexico would look like. Why are these shack homes allowed to exist? Why hasn't someone complained about the eye sore of the shacks? These shacks just make the community look worse.
Hialeah is very reminiscent of parts of Mexico City, although Mexico City actually has culture.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,815 times
Default mike-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
So, let me give you my opinion. I'm Italian, and I moved to Miami about 15 months ago because my wife, who is Dominican-American, lived here. I never had anything against hispanics, latinos or whatever you want to call this comunity, and the fact that I married one proves it beyond any doubt. I never had anything against Miami either, in the 3 year period while my wife and I were engaged I visited Miami several times and as a tourist I liked it very much, though I never fell in love with it.
Italy is a very nice country and one of the most developed country in the world (it's in the G8), but visiting many city in the US you can feel that Italy is some steps behind the US, not a huge gap but you still can see the difference. But when I moved to Miami, let's say after very few weeks, I realized that there was something wrong with this city, I felt like Italy was far much more developed than Miami and it instantly gave me the vibe like I was not really in the US. Miami looked to me much more like a third world or at least a developing country of South America rather than US. But I gave it a try to see if my vibes were wrong. Another hint that made me think that there was something wrong with Miami was that in many, one too many places, most of the time people started talking to me in spanish, although my complexion is as pale as it gets, I really have no feutures that could make you think I'm somewhat hispanic!! You could tell I'm german or swedish, but definitely not hispanic. Still, I would have to ask to people to speak to me in english. I always liked languages, I speak english, japanese a little bit of german and now spanish of course which my wife taught me. What I never liked though are things thrown into your throat against your will. My point is: I am Italian, so I am an immigrant as much as all the hispanic people who lives in Miami, my native language is Italian so English (which happens to be the official language of this country) is already my second language...why should I be forced to speak Spanish that would be a third language for me, with people who is immigrant like me and don't even bother speak a second language, which I repeat is the official language of the US?? This thing has been driving me crazy for months, but the beginning I was thinking "ok this poor people comes here with nothing, no education, no money, no nothing, and they're just trying to make a living". Then one fine day I started opening my eyes and ears when my spanish started to become fluent, and I realized that most part of the latinos here in Miami (despite many good people, i.e. my wife) doesn't give a damn of this country, they really kind of hate "the gringos" and whoever doesn't speak spanish or who doesn't want to learn it. They're litteraly using this country without any consideration, they will never call the US their home so they don't give a damn if they litter, break, or damage anything in their sight. Who speaks about diversity in Miami, tells a very big fat joke!!! There is no diversity here, maybe in the past, there is only latin racism towards anybody else. There is only one culture here: the latin one!! Which I don't say it's good or bad, it's just one...all the other etnicities (included white americans and african americans) are just struggling to stay afloat and try to please the latin comunity so they don't get upset!! This is what Miami turns people into: a nice young italian immigrant full of hopes and dreams towards Miami who becomes frustrated and disappointed in less than one year. Miami is a hellhole and I can't wait to get the hell out of here!!!
I feel the same way. I was born in Latin America and have lived in the US since 1970. I am an American not Latino or Latino American. I came here because Latin America sucks. Why would I want the same crap of Cuba and Latin America here. I hate Miami and I am glad that I am moving from here.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosybe View Post
Hi, i'm italian and i'm coming to miami in september. could anyone tell me if it's easy to find employment in miami, and also give me any info about areas for renting a house that isn't too expensive but is a reasonably safe area to live in. Also, is there anyone out there who has any positive comments to make about miami? everything i have read is so negative. is there anyone who actually likes living there?????
Don't come, you can turn around before is to late. I am getting out of this **** hole in May. I can't wait!!!!!!.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:28 PM

18 posts, read 59,209 times
I've only read some of the posts but I think the negative posts are an accurate portrayal of what Miami is really like. I moved away 2 years ago because I couldn't stand living in my neighborhood anymore. I couldn't even keep the windows open when the weather was good, because someone was always blasting Spansih music from somewhere, day or night. The police, hispanics too, are no help, and tell you to make friends with your neighbors, don't complain about them.

That Colorado politican who called Miami a 3rd world country had it right. It's also been called a banana republic. For the most part, Spanish is the language you hear no matter where you go, rich part of town or poor. There are some places where English is heard more, like Coconut Grove, South Beach, but other than that it's Spanish everywhere. There are dead animals everywhere from people who practice Santeria, then throw the, usually birds, out on the street. There are chickens/roosters roaming in residential neighborhoods because the immigrants bring their old world ways with them. In some neighborhoods, single family homes house multiple generations of
families, and cousins, etc. Sure there are zoning laws, but they're not enforced. It's very expensive to live in most areas, and those areas that are cheaper are not really where I'd want to live. You can buy a mobile home for $150,000. Most houses start in the 200,000's and don't forget home owners insurance. My sister has a 4/3 in an ordinary neighborhood, nothing special, certainly not "upscale" and her insurance went up to over $11,000/yr. Craziness!

As someone said, Miami is not really multi-cultural, it's predominantly 1 culture, hispanics from different locations, and the rest of us are in the minority. The politics is also hispanic politics. It's almost impossible to find a job unless you're bilingual, which in Miami means you speak Spanish and English. I am also an immigrant and so were my parents. They both learned English as adults and prospered.

Anyone thinking of moving to Miami should think seriously about trying it for half a year before deciding to stay.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umscats View Post
I've only read some of the posts but I think the negative posts are an accurate portrayal of what Miami is really like. I moved away 2 years ago because I couldn't stand living in my neighborhood anymore. I couldn't even keep the windows open when the weather was good, because someone was always blasting Spansih music from somewhere, day or night. The police, hispanics too, are no help, and tell you to make friends with your neighbors, don't complain about them.

That Colorado politican who called Miami a 3rd world country had it right. It's also been called a banana republic. For the most part, Spanish is the language you hear no matter where you go, rich part of town or poor. There are some places where English is heard more, like Coconut Grove, South Beach, but other than that it's Spanish everywhere. There are dead animals everywhere from people who practice Santeria, then throw the, usually birds, out on the street. There are chickens/roosters roaming in residential neighborhoods because the immigrants bring their old world ways with them. In some neighborhoods, single family homes house multiple generations of
families, and cousins, etc. Sure there are zoning laws, but they're not enforced. It's very expensive to live in most areas, and those areas that are cheaper are not really where I'd want to live. You can buy a mobile home for $150,000. Most houses start in the 200,000's and don't forget home owners insurance. My sister has a 4/3 in an ordinary neighborhood, nothing special, certainly not "upscale" and her insurance went up to over $11,000/yr. Craziness!

As someone said, Miami is not really multi-cultural, it's predominantly 1 culture, hispanics from different locations, and the rest of us are in the minority. The politics is also hispanic politics. It's almost impossible to find a job unless you're bilingual, which in Miami means you speak Spanish and English. I am also an immigrant and so were my parents. They both learned English as adults and prospered.

Anyone thinking of moving to Miami should think seriously about trying it for half a year before deciding to stay.
Great advise!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-29 View Post
I feel the same way. I was born in Latin America and have lived in the US since 1970. I am an American not Latino or Latino American. I came here because Latin America sucks. Why would I want the same crap of Cuba and Latin America here. I hate Miami and I am glad that I am moving from here.
OMG, I admire what you just said. It's always confused me as to why people say they're "insert another country"American. I don't understand it. I, too am an American pure and simple.

Cixel, I'm so glad you posted those pics. We have no intention of moving as far south as Miami, but it's just unbelievable that there are places like that in the U.S.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=...4554716&size=o
the ultimate juxtaposition

pictures of slums of hialeah off okeechobee road among other florida oddities
http://flickr.com/photos/94556645@N0...7600014554716/
What's the first one supposed to be?

Also, I should scan some of the pictures i've taken of West Palm Beach, slum areas. You'd be sickened to think that actual people lived there. If only I could get my stupid scanner working!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:52 AM

The first one is of a Bentley in the Walmart parking lot. Take your chip to CVS and have them put to a CD there, let us know when you have them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami