Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,382 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm italian and i'm coming to miami in september. could anyone tell me if it's easy to find employment in miami, and also give me any info about areas for renting a house that isn't too expensive but is a reasonably safe area to live in. Also, is there anyone out there who has any positive comments to make about miami? everything i have read is so negative. is there anyone who actually likes living there?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 03:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
Yes, many people like living here. They are called the "rich."

Check out housing on Miami Beach. It is near all of the touristy stuff....

Affordability and safe are two words that don't go hand in hand here, so pick one or the other. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:34 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,136,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosybe View Post
Hi, i'm italian and i'm coming to miami in september. could anyone tell me if it's easy to find employment in miami, and also give me any info about areas for renting a house that isn't too expensive but is a reasonably safe area to live in. Also, is there anyone out there who has any positive comments to make about miami? everything i have read is so negative. is there anyone who actually likes living there?????
Yes, I do and I'm not rich.
Finding employment depends on what kind of employment you're looking for and/or are qualified to do; how much salary you are expecting, etc.
Your question is extremely hard to answer, except for the last part.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Yes, I do and I'm not rich.
Finding employment depends on what kind of employment you're looking for and/or are qualified to do; how much salary you are expecting, etc.
Your question is extremely hard to answer, except for the last part.
i have a degree in naval engineering and so will be looking for a job with a ship company.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:43 PM

286 posts, read 1,080,877 times
Default rose colored glasses

[mod orphaned [/mod]
Seriously though, I will be moving to Miami this summer and looking to stay in Coral Gables. I am looking to rent initially with a view to purchase as soon as I know the lay of the land. I am looking to spend $1500-$2000 for a 2bed/2bath condo, dosen't have to be large and would like it to be within walking distance of restaurants, shopping etc. It would be nice to sometimes walk to dinner and maybe a bookstore. I plan to visit next month and finalise everything. Is the Douglas Grand in the middle of things, I know that Publix is on the property and that makes it very convenient. I have never been there, just looking online so I am not able to visualise it. Any ideas for me?

Old 03-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Personally, I would prefer to be somewhere in the Coral Way area - between 30th and 36th avenue or so (Coral Way is 24th St) - in between the Grove and Douglas Rd. Douglas has a lot a lot of traffic. There is a lot of commercial activity there and maybe not so pedestrian friendly. You can always walk to Douglas and the restaurants from Coral Way and the 30's. If you like to walk, sidewalk cafes, bookstores, etc. you would be in a nicer area around Coral Way.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Also, the Grove itself in certain areas or Key Biscayne but that would be too far if you are sure you want "Coral Gables".

Old 03-13-2007, 02:19 PM

286 posts, read 1,080,877 times
vpcats, thank you, appreciate your help.I will look up Coral Way. I am open to other areas as well.
Where would you suggest in Key Biscayne or the Grove would be best suited to me. Security is also high on my priorities as I have a teenage daughter.I want her to be in a safe and friendly environment.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Many of these buildings have security and concierges. The streets are very busy though and you never know.
I think Key Biscayne would be "safer" but it is not as alive in terms of just walking to a bookstore or a deli. Coral Gables also, good buildings with good security but in some parts it's a little isolated and the nicer streets are not in the "hub". Check around Merrick Park and/or near University of Miami neighborhood.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
Ok, Miracle Mile and Ponce are the center roads of the Gables that have the bars, restaurants and shops. So if you use that intersection as the center, I am sure you can find a place. Your commute will be fine from there. I can't say which place to look at, as I don't rent so I don't know what things are going for, sorry.

Coral Way, I don't know yah there are many apartments there, but if you want to walk to stuff like Starbucks or Barnes & Nobles or to dinner, it is to far to walk, stay closer to Ponce and Miracle. Yah Merrick Place has some rental apartments, but it isn't in walking distance of Miracle Mile. Yes there are some great restaurants like the palm, and great shopping, but not the happy hour places people hang out at. Key Biscayne is nice, but you can't walk to stuff, I don't know about raising a teenager there, many of the people that we knew that grew up there, turned out not right lets just say, lots of drugs out there since the Key Rats as we called them, got big allowances, they all never turned into something good for some reason IMO...Friends of my parents still live there and say the kids are doing the same stuff today. Coconut Grove you can walk to stuff and have a nice view sometimes, it is just east of Coral Gables. Good luck!

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-13-2007 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami