Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,625 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I are strongly thinking about moving to Miami Summer 2010 (of before). We currently live 30 minutes north of Boston. I'm more interested in leaving this area more than her, because I don't have family here, (at least ones that I like). My mom and dad, as well as hers, retired back to the Dominican Republic 2 years ago. We both have been living here for more than 10 years, but I never felt like I belong here. I was born here, but grew up in the Dominican Republic, and she was born in the Dominican Republic, but raised here. My wife hates the cold and snow, but has all of her 3 sisters here, along with nephews and cousins. I have a best friend, (who's more like a brother to me), and a brother, (who's more like a cousin) (yes, like the Verizon comercial).

We both speak Spanish, and have jobs here. In Miami, we have family. I have cousins, who are more like brothers to me. Her cousins are also very nice and cool. The main reason why we want to move to Miami, is because our parent live in the Dominican Republic, which is a short flight to Miami, not to mention much cheaper.

I know that Miami is going through some economic tough times, but I think that the same thing will happen to Boston, and take as long as it has taken in Miami. My cousin has a job for me, as a medical device distributor, which he has been working for the past 6 years. And another cousin, could help me get a job at Baptist Hospital. For my wife, she is a Social Worker, and also will get a job immediately as a Clinical Social Worker at the hospital, in a nut shell, we can both be making the same or more money than here.

Well, sorry that this is all over the place. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM

259 posts, read 837,278 times
I usually only recommend Miami/south Florida to very few people but honestly for you, I say come on down! You will love it The fact that you both speak spanish and english seemingly fluently is a huge bonus. This will benefit you career-wise as well for your social life. You can add an extra $ sign to your paycheck as well as a few extra friends. You also appear to have a support system already in place which makes a huge difference. If you believe that you will be making enough money to do more than just survive here and actually live a decent lifestyle then I say what are you waiting for? Start sending in those applications VERY early though because I must tell you it's a rat race down here.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,689,500 times
Even if you have jobs waiting, make sure you visit Miami as a resident, not a tourist. Take a drive during rush hour traffic, talk to the locals, experience true Miami, not just the beach. Then, if you are still impressed, then come on down. Miami needs you. There has been a brain drain for a few years and Middle Class citizens are wanted. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:53 PM

546 posts, read 2,139,692 times
Sounds like you have your mind made up already. If you already like miami and have visited here before, i'd say just rent before buying (especially right now as the marked is still correcting itself). Good luck!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,520,552 times
come on down, you'll be glad you did. I lived in manomet mass and worked in east or south boston at the shipyards back in the late 1970's I was there for a year and while I enjoyed massachusetts I really missed miami so after a year I took a huge pay cut and returned. no regrets.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,856,189 times
do it, but the cold here is dif than cold up north, its more humid( dont really know how to explain it) so it seems colder, i can go out in shorts and a shirt in the 30 dg weather in ny without getting chills for atleast 10 mins, in miami i get chils right away.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,425,778 times
I lived in MIA for three years and Boston for 15. The biggest difference between MIA & BOS besides the weather is the social behavior of the people. BOS is staid, stately, polite, cold. MIA is warm, hot, wild, and kooky. MIA is full of crazies while BOS is very low key. MIA is sexy while BOS is proper. BOS is snobby while MIA is nosey. BOS will respect you once you've proven yourself, MIA will sleep with you the same night but leave you in the morning. BOS is a stately dinner, MIA is a wild roller coaster.

As PP's say, you've got all the tools to thrive in MIA. If you got the Spanish and got the job, you're all set. The only thing I think you'll have to overcome is the craziness of MIA which runs from outrageous decadence to pathological psychosis. I left MIA and went to BOS because I felt if I didn't get away from the nonstop partying I would amount to nothing. I needed some peace and quiet in my life. But I loved my years in MIA and I love those people.

My friendships and romances there in three years were far more intense than the whole 15 years in BOS combined. I met more people in MIA in a given week than I met in BOS in a year. The people are warm. I am sure I could even go back today and pick right back up with them where I left off.

MIA was the best and most exciting three years of my life.

On the upside for BOS, it was a trememdous relief to be in someplace so totally safe where I could walk down Boylston St at 3am and have no worries. MIA provides no such guarantees.

And don't worry about the traffic in MIA. If you can do BOS, MIA will be a piece of cake. Just live near where you work.

And live on MIAMI BEACH, not on the mainland. At least at first. Living on MB is like living in Back Bay/Allston, Brookline, JP.

it's the best part(ying), a known quantity. So much of MIA (mainland) is like DOT/Chelsea/Hyde Park etc. It's a mosaic of good and bad and you have to know where you are going. Go trent a place on the Beach first - you'll pay a little more but you'll love it from day one. Just like if someone was moving to BOS, the first place to live would be downtown, then when you get your bearings you can find you niche in JP or DOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami