Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
Hi, my friend's looking for section 8 housing in the Homestead area. I've read some good things about the area and of course the bad. What can he anticipate in terms of crime? I realize section 8 housing is probably not the safest, but the options are limited. Can you find low income housing in Homestead and not live in a war zone? He now lives in a large metro in NC, so crime isn't non-existant here, but I've heard so much in relations to drugs and gangs in South Florida; I was just curious. Thanks in advance!

Please stay on topic and avoid conversations that takes away from the intend of the thread.

The basic purpose of HUD Section 8: The Section 8 Rental Voucher Program increases affordable housing choices for very low-income households by allowing families to choose privately owned rental housing. The public housing authority (PHA) generally pays the landlord the difference between 30 percent of household income and the PHA-determined payment standard-about 80 to 100 percent of the fair market rent (FMR). The rent must be reasonable. The household may choose a unit with a higher rent than the FMR and pay the landlord the difference or choose a lower cost unit and keep the difference.

Do families that really need this program benefit from it: YES

Do families that don't need this program abuses the system: YES

Here is the link for the FL POC by city/county to get more info:
FL068 Homestead
Phone: (305)247-0639
Fax: (305)248-3347
PHA Contact Information - FL - HUD

Hopefully the ones that have a greater need will benefit the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsmith0210 View Post
There are people who need these programs- but i would have to guess that the vast majority of those ive seen in NYC, down here, and other places- misuse the food stamps they receive. Section 8- is notorious for covering up drug dealers- there are scams in that part of the system. As far as corporate theft goes- one corporate theft only makes the news because they go for broke once in a lifetime. With welfare abuse- people steal alot more than a few million dollars in a lifetime. Multiply all the welfare and S8 abuse by the amount of people misusing it- and it comes out to alot more than a few million dollars.
Good point. But I was refering to the people who were talking about people buying expensive things while in section 8 or on welfare. I agree there are people out there who just abuse the system. There kids are wearing the most expensive jordans and driving the best cars and most expenisive clothes while "living in the projects" and they claim there strugling. But I think there are alot more people who really need it then the fake ones. Just go across New Orleans and what not, those projects are so dingy and rotten that even if I could abuse the system and stay I wouldnt even think twice before leaving. But I do agree that some people cover up the drug dealing and problems and cheat tax payers out of millions. Everybody is a scam artist. Everyone is crooked. Sometimes you can never tell who needs it and who dosent.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Some folks commit fraud. It doesn't just happen in Homestead. It also happens on Wall Street. It's the human condition, at least in large, anonymous societies. Do you have any statistics?

I've been around Little Haiti a lot, and the Wynwood to some extent, as well as occasionally driving through other poor areas of Miami. I did not count a lot of Escalades, although I don't deny that some people abuse the system, or have screwed up priorities. Just because you see a nice car in front of a poor-looking house doesn't mean that the residents are on the dole. They may be pimps, drug dealers, or -- heavens to Murgatroid -- have a job.
I used to be in little haiti all the time when I lived in FLA. My aunt owned a salon down there. Last time I was there was in december 07. It seemed alot nicer and changing for the better. It has alot of gentrification.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM

19 posts, read 88,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
People are way too hung up on the old, outdated "welfare queen" myth that it's simply sickening.

What's the problem with helping out the poor, please tell me? I would rather my tax dollars go towards helping people out than the occupation of Iraq, or a pointless Marlins stadium.
I'm confused. Are you for not helping out the people in Iraq or for helping people out of iraq?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I used to be in little haiti all the time when I lived in FLA. My aunt owned a salon down there. Last time I was there was in december 07. It seemed alot nicer and changing for the better. It has alot of gentrification.
Yes, I noticed that too, the gentrification. I think it's been stalled since the bottom fell out of the economy, though. The restaurant at the back of the B&M Market still has good inexpensive food in massive quantities.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz_cii View Post
I'm confused. Are you for not helping out the people in Iraq or for helping people out of iraq?
I think he was saying that occupying Iraq was not that helpful to the people. It certainly wasn't very helpful to the 100,000 dead Iraqi civilians, the millions who took off to neighboring countries (and still haven't returned), or to the Sunni in general. It was good for helping out some needy U.S. contractors, though.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,378 times
Quote:
I think he was saying that occupying Iraq was not that helpful to the people. It certainly wasn't very helpful to the 100,000 dead Iraqi civilians, the millions who took off to neighboring countries (and still haven't returned), or to the Sunni in general. It was good for helping out some needy U.S. contractors, though.
You beat me to it, but yes...that's what I meant.

Sorry to go off-topic here, but while I support the troops and their fantastic efforts, I do not support a war that should never have been waged in the first place.

Again, I would much rather my taxes (our taxes) go towards helping the poor and doing "good" than bombing and occupying a sovereign nation that posed no threat to us whatsoever.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,378 times
p.s. Section 8 is a good and effective social welfare program that helps keep families & others afloat during a time of crisis.

If it's abused, crack down on the abuse, but don't cease the program. For every case of abuse/fraud, there are probably 1,000 genuinely deserving cases out there and people who really need that help.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsmith0210 View Post
There are people who need these programs- but i would have to guess that the vast majority of those ive seen in NYC, down here, and other places- misuse the food stamps they receive. Section 8- is notorious for covering up drug dealers- there are scams in that part of the system. As far as corporate theft goes- one corporate theft only makes the news because they go for broke once in a lifetime. With welfare abuse- people steal alot more than a few million dollars in a lifetime. Multiply all the welfare and S8 abuse by the amount of people misusing it- and it comes out to alot more than a few million dollars.
Yeah, all them people.

"The vast majority?" Mod Deleted. As if you remembered all the people using food stamps who weren't abusing the system. Do you have any actual statistics?

There's fraud in welfare, there's fraud in private business. Such is the human condition. We don't banish private enterprise because there are some abuses, and we don't banish welfare because there are some abuses. The abuse rate will never be zero, although you could approach that with a proper police state.

There are a lot of people now who have worked their *sses off their whole life, and now can't find work. if you don't care about the ghetto folks you are actually accusing, what about the other people? Would you prefer to step around the box they'd live in?

Last edited by sunrico90; 03-02-2009 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Keep it clean.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 PM

292 posts, read 956,164 times
Quote:
Yeah, all them people.

"The vast majority?" Mod Deleted. As if you remembered all the people using food stamps who weren't abusing the system. Do you have any actual statistics?

There's fraud in welfare, there's fraud in private business. Such is the human condition. We don't banish private enterprise because there are some abuses, and we don't banish welfare because there are some abuses. The abuse rate will never be zero, although you could approach that with a proper police state.

There are a lot of people now who have worked their *sses off their whole life, and now can't find work. if you don't care about the ghetto folks you are actually accusing, what about the other people? Would you prefer to step around the box they'd live in?
You wouldnt have to remember all the people using food stamps correctly- because they would be doing the right thing. As for the program as a whole- since theyre spending ALL OF OUR money on it through taxes- there should be an approval process that we can all agree on. If you have a criminal record- you should be denied. If you have a history of terrible credit- you should be denied. All the "help the poor" programs and sympathy thrown around like confetti do no good if the poor arent willing to help themselves. Pick yourself up- walk to anywhere thats open for business and beg for a job if you need the money- someone will respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami