Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,033,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
60% of the population is non US born and you will be working with patients who most likely don't speak English. Haitians have been learning Spanish for decades. This is NOT discrimination. It's logic.

You have the rest of the country to choose from or change careers where your Spanish is not required in Miami. You don't have to go very far, just go to Orlando or West Palm Beach.

The other day I heard a white non hispanic having a phone interview for a job in Miami. First thing they asked her was if she spoke Spanish. She said yes. Next thing you know they are testing her Spanish and carrying the phone interview in Spanish. Good she wasn't lying, she had an American accent but she could really carry a conversation.

But anyways I think your main issue is your lack of experience. It's hard to get an entry level job without experience. You should check with your school.
Princess is right. Adapt, improvise and overcome. So many people whining. Stop whining, order Rosette Stone or take some spanish classes and be done with it ! I am from an island in the carribean where they are taught 4 languages in school ! They graduate knowing four languages and can work most anywhere in the world ! How about that !

I think the American school system sucks and all the whiners are probably the ones that never paid attention in school or skipped spanish class because it was "not cool" Get off your high horses and realize the world changes...you must follow or be left behind. Simple as that.

PS...hispanics are a wonderful race of caring people with strong family values. They made Miami what is today, some of the most well known entrepreneurs and CEO's in South Florida are hispanic.

I myself grew up in Miami...so I never learned spanish as well as I could have. Never took the opportunity. I can get by and understand/speak basic stuff...but I cannot carry a long conversation. THAT IS MY OWN FAULT. What am I going to do about it ? Probably order an online course or something and probably speak more spanish with my wife who is hispanic. I also have a newborn...you better believe he will be 100% bilingual when he grows up.

Point is.......ADAPT.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,082,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Princess is right. Adapt, improvise and overcome. So many people whining. Stop whining, order Rosette Stone or take some spanish classes and be done with it ! I am from an island in the carribean where they are taught 4 languages in school ! They graduate knowing four languages and can work most anywhere in the world ! How about that !

I think the American school system sucks and all the whiners are probably the ones that never paid attention in school or skipped spanish class because it was "not cool" Get off your high horses and realize the world changes...you must follow or be left behind. Simple as that.

PS...hispanics are a wonderful race of caring people with strong family values. They made Miami what is today, some of the most well known entrepreneurs and CEO's in South Florida are hispanic.

I myself grew up in Miami...so I never learned spanish as well as I could have. Never took the opportunity. I can get by and understand/speak basic stuff...but I cannot carry a long conversation. THAT IS MY OWN FAULT. What am I going to do about it ? Probably order an online course or something and probably speak more spanish with my wife who is hispanic. I also have a newborn...you better believe he will be 100% bilingual when he grows up.

Point is.......ADAPT.
GREAT POST!

ADAPT is right. The entire world is adapting to American culture/demands/needs, etc. Why not one small part of America where people try to learn a second language and better themselves...and have a small part of the English-speaking world actually be as competitive as the rest of the world where everywhere else they are required to know 2+ languages.

Not only that, but Spanish is EASY to learn and fun to speak. I'll also QUICKLY second the amazing family values of latinos.

In anglo-american, 'family values' generally mean 'conservative religious republican-voter'. If you aren't in a small town America, you are considered somehow immoral and a 'damned liberal'. It's lovely to have an entire spectrum of American society, the Latino part of us, that actually embody 'family values' and still live in large cities, etc.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 AM

9,331 posts, read 14,249,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
GREAT POST!

ADAPT is right. The entire world is adapting to American culture/demands/needs, etc.
Perhaps a bit off topic, but from a certain angle, spot on.

The entire world adapting to US culture was the trend in the 1980s-1990s, but now I'd say that the trend has reversed, US culture, especially its political culture, is adapting to, or being reshaped by, the rest of the world.

Being bent out of shape and left behind now are those who still have expectations of the "golden age" US middle class of the 1950s-1990s period.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM

22,237 posts, read 29,276,194 times
Everyone who knows me on this board knows this whole bilingual job thing pisses me off. We are in AMERICA!! If the people who spoke on Spanish weren't catered to, they would be forced to learn English. How is it possible that people all over the WORLD can speak English but it cannot be spoken here in Miami?? You float over, you learn the language!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM

433 posts, read 1,009,611 times
What percent of the server jobs require spanish? Ive seen ads in craigslist saying you need to know english and some saying you need to know spanish.

I know a few words Moderator cut: English Only of spanish.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM

21 posts, read 105,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnurse55 View Post
There is alot wrong with making it a job requirement to speak another language..as well as there is alot wrong with allowing bill boards to advertise in another language other than our ENGLISH language of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...that is the preferred language and the predominant language...NOT SPANISH..NOT RUSSIAN..NOT anything else...you don't see the Europeans griping about not having their language interpretors here...and do you honestly think that for one minute when you go to Mexico they will have interpretors there on standby waiting to interpret English?...how stupid and self centered and nai've can one be?..It's not about education it's about our country going down the tubes and letting all these illegal immigrants take over..I am sick of this attitude and I am sick of people like you who think that it is alright to require another language... Moderator cut: Flaming...it's our country...don't be so passive and let it go...you probably think the 911 terrorists deserve to be kept in a federal prison and educated...why don't you go to NY and ask them?...

The founding fathers did not make any language the 'official' language for a reason. People should have the FREEDOM to speak whatever language they desire.

If there's enough people in an area speaking Spanish, there's no reason why that doesn't become the preferred language of a region just as English is in other parts of the US.

Hell, if it wasn't for WW1 there would still be German-speaking towns in the midwest.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,651,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Being bent out of shape and left behind now are those who still have expectations of the "golden age" US middle class of the 1950s-1990s period.
This is one of my favorite sentences I've read on this website.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM

72 posts, read 193,284 times
I am waiting for a nice lawsuit to happen because of these ridiculous spanish requirements on any jobs. I have had about enough. THIS IS AN ENGLISH speaking country, like it or not!! I live in NY and they are doing the same thing here, requiring Spanish. I find it absolutely amazing that when my ancestors came to this country, NO ONE catered to them and they learned the language. I can remember my grandma telling me it was no longer allowed (to speak in their native language) once they were in the US(at her parents request) Why were the immigrants from years ago so willing to learn "OUR LANGUAGE " but the spanish feel they dont need to and we need to cater to them. I don't see other nationalities (chinese, japanese, indians etc) expecting to be catered to?

The next time I see a "spanish speaking" requirement, maybe I should get that law suit going because YOU are discriminating agains ME and others, PERIOD. DO not argue with me because I am absolutely 100 percent correct on this one.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,375,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
I am waiting for a nice lawsuit to happen because of these ridiculous spanish requirements on any jobs. I have had about enough. THIS IS AN ENGLISH speaking country, like it or not!! I live in NY and they are doing the same thing here, requiring Spanish. I find it absolutely amazing that when my ancestors came to this country, NO ONE catered to them and they learned the language. I can remember my grandma telling me it was no longer allowed (to speak in their native language) once they were in the US(at her parents request) Why were the immigrants from years ago so willing to learn "OUR LANGUAGE " but the spanish feel they dont need to and we need to cater to them. I don't see other nationalities (chinese, japanese, indians etc) expecting to be catered to?

The next time I see a "spanish speaking" requirement, maybe I should get that law suit going because YOU are discriminating agains ME and others, PERIOD. DO not argue with me because I am absolutely 100 percent correct on this one.
You're sure confident about your complete lack of knowledge of what job discrimination entails. If Spanish is necessary to conduct the responsibilities of the job then what is the problem? Many corporations here do business with Latin America and Latin American clients....should they lose out on business because they don't have people who speak the language? As far as the service industry requiring Spanish in some cases--it may be stupid that people didn't bother to learn English when coming here, but don't blame the businesses for wanting to be part of the Spanish speaking market here. They'd be out a lot of money if they weren't. This is not just a Spanish language issue...go to a site like indeed.com and just put Chinese, Japanese, Russian, etc into the search, you'll sure come up with a number of positions requiring bilingual positions to serve those respective markets around the country.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM

242 posts, read 314,399 times
It IS discrimination people. Jobs should not require you to be bilingual, unless you're dealing with multinational clients. The bilingual thing in Miami is discrimination, plain and simple. Cubans want to hire other fellow Cubans. The PC wool has been pulled over our collective eyes and we now see this as "diversity", when it is actually the exact opposite. Miami is now ran by Cubans for Cubans and it's too late to reverse the damage done. I would love to see lawsuits brought against Miami firms requesting this bilingual nonsense, but the reality is that there are too few Americans left in Miami to even care. Sadly, the black community in Miami are the ones who are suffering. What a joke Miami has become...diverse my ***.

p.s. I am all for learning a second or third language, but it should not be forced upon us by a bunch of foreigners who were invited into OUR country to escape Communism. 4th of July yesterday and I saw more foreign flags flying than US flags, which is so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami