Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 95,652 times

Advertisements

In SE Florida, is there a price difference in your homeowners insurance if you live in a condo vs. a single-family home? If so, how much of a difference is there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
OK I think I'm pretty sure about this.

Most condos have "associations" (HOA). They cover insurance for the outside structure only. You would need to obtain separate coverage for your condo's contents. These association fees can run very high depending on location, amenities, square footage, and what else may be included - water, cable, etc. Also, whenever anything out of the usual happens, like exterior paint, replacement of anything, asphalting parking areas, new roof, you can get huge assessments.

SFH HOI can be high also and then you either have to take care of everything yourself or hire people for the lawn, pool, pest control, and/or any other maintenance.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,554 times
and they can make you buy resold cable from a cable company they create for the complex. except ours wont answer the phone and noones ever there so we were forced to get directv.

they will also make you only purchase roof tiles from a supplier of their choice while making money on top when you inevitably lose them in a hurricane.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM

26 posts, read 161,348 times
When residing in a condo, the association is usually responsible for the exterior of the building and the common elements of the association. The association holds master policy to cover the exterior and common element, the cost of the insurance premium is included in your maintenance fee paid to the association.

For the protection of your unit, you need a separate policy to cover the interior elements of your unit and your personal belongings. The cost can be a few hundred dollars for an annual policy.

If you are insuring a single family home, the cost can be several thousand dollars. I currently pay $3,500. for my homeowners. Insurance premiums are very costly here in southeast Florida and are not likely to decrease any time soon.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM

523 posts, read 2,829,691 times
I am paying 1100 Ho insurance for a 200 new home in Lakeland. My taxes are 2476 this yr.
THis is why i live in lakeland.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 PM

291 posts, read 1,113,700 times
Can anyone give an example of the range of typical association fees they are paying for condos or attached townhomes in the nicer/safer areas of Miami (greater miami/ft. lauderdale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: