Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 AM

190 posts, read 465,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelio View Post
Hi!!

I'm moving from Spain to Miami in April and I'd like to know which neighbourhoods are nice to live in.
I've read good things about Coral Gables or Brickell, but I'd like to know where it's easy to find supermarkets, gyms, parks or places to go for a walk ... all these things making my life more comfortable in Miami.

I've never lived in USA so whatever you tell me about life in Miami will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance!!
lot's of CRIME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1979 View Post
lot's of CRIME!

Madrid and Barcelona are not far behind ... two beautiful world class cites ... but both have their share of crime and also illegal immigration . I feel the crime issue in Miami is always overblown here by a few posters .. I have my qualms about Miami , but more crime than most large urban areas is not one of them . I have issues with rudeness and the general "ghetto " attitude of some Miami youth but neither of those equate to a crime wave .

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Madrid and Barcelona are not far behind
It feels worse there. Spain is such a beautiful country but it's hell to live in those cities. Both cities are full of Eastern europeans gypsies that pickpocket tourists and locals. In Barcelona the law protects them as long as they don't steal more than $500 euros or something like that. If they do get caught, they spend 72 hours in jail and they can go back to their old ways.

They also have a share of internet scammers. Not sure if it the same gypsies or Spaniards. They really have no respect for personal property over there. I hate that.

Imagine if we had a law like that. God bless the USA.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Madrid and Barcelona are not far behind ... two beautiful world class cites ... but both have their share of crime and also illegal immigration . I feel the crime issue in Miami is always overblown here by a few posters .. I have my qualms about Miami , but more crime than most large urban areas is not one of them . I have issues with rudeness and the general "ghetto " attitude of some Miami youth but neither of those equate to a crime wave .
I've spent a little time in Barcelona...thieves everywhere there. They target tourists and foreigners everywhere along the La Rambla (the main tourist area).

Someone robbed the toothpaste wrapped in a paper bag right out of my front coat pocket in Barcelona! Had a few other guys trying to pickpocket while I was in the internet cafe. One of my friends had all of her belongings stolen from her hostel room. Another of my friends had her purse stolen out of her arm. Actually nearly everyone I met while I was in Spain had stories from their short visits to Barcelona.

In Miami, I certainly didn't have that experience at all. Crime stats are up there, but certainly seems far-removed from where tourists/foreigners would ordinarly go. Not that no crime ever happens to foreigners/tourists, as there have been high profile cases.

BUT...just saying, Barcelona is definetely not Disneyland when it comes to crime. (In other words, I STRONGLY agree with you!)

Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've spent a little time in Barcelona...thieves everywhere there. They target tourists and foreigners everywhere along the La Rambla (the main tourist area).

Someone robbed the toothpaste wrapped in a paper bag right out of my front coat pocket in Barcelona! Had a few other guys trying to pickpocket while I was in the internet cafe. One of my friends had all of her belongings stolen from her hostel room. Another of my friends had her purse stolen out of her arm. Actually nearly everyone I met while I was in Spain had stories from their short visits to Barcelona.

In Miami, I certainly didn't have that experience at all. Crime stats are up there, but certainly seems far-removed from where tourists/foreigners would ordinarly go. Not that no crime ever happens to foreigners/tourists, as there have been high profile cases.

BUT...just saying, Barcelona is definetely not Disneyland when it comes to crime.
Not close, I never watch my staff here in Miami and have never been a victim. Over there I was warned the first time I went there so it has never happened to me but when I was in Paris nobody warned me and I was a victim the first day I arrived in Paris.

People don't know how good we have it here, even with our ghetto culture.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Please stay on topic, lets talk about Miami.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Hi!!

I'm moving from Spain to Miami in April and I'd like to know which neighbourhoods are nice to live in.
I've read good things about Coral Gables or Brickell, but I'd like to know where it's easy to find supermarkets, gyms, parks or places to go for a walk ... all these things making my life more comfortable in Miami.

I've never lived in USA so whatever you tell me about life in Miami will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance!!
Coral Gables and Brickell are beautiful vibrant areas .... also look in parts of the Grove and Key Biscayne .. and do not forget Pine Crest ... if you want to be closer to the ocean .. check out Aventura .

Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Tiger, that poster I believe doesn't speak Spanish. His statement is far from accurate.

Spanish from Spain is fast, full of local slang, and very difficult to understand to other Latin Americans and people that speak other languages. But the really difficult part is having them understand you. They are not the most cultural aware people in the world and patience is not a virtue they possess.

Cuban people might speak fast, but they are much easier to understand. I never had an issue dealing with them. I only had to learn some slang but that was it. I think Mexicans have more slang actually but speak slower. Spaniards have a different word for everything is like speaking another language, even brazilian portuguese is easier... well almost.
My ex girlfriend (colombian) moved to spain and she had trouble understanding the people speak.

Stay in the good areas of Miami you will be just fine, people here like to take statistics from the ghetto and apply them to all of miami. it just isn't like that, if you are from a big city in europe you will not feel uncomfortable in miami by any means unless you get off on the wrong exit or drive too far downtown.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:25 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Hi!!

Thanks in advance!!
The main supermarket is Publix, ubiquitous and well managed, but expensive. If you have a car, you could drive a bit further south into Miami-Dade County to the open markets for fruits and vegetables (south Miami-Dade County is agricultural).

If you live in a condo building, it should have its own gym, certainly the big new ones.

There are parks of all kinds and sizes in Miami city and Miami-Dade County. There is a parks department website that you can visit for detailed information.

There are also free mapping softwares, like Google Earth, that can help you visualize where the parks are.

You mentioned Brickell and Coral Gables (the latter is a separate municipality in Miami-Dade County).

Generally speaking, the best neighborhoods are along the Metrorail (look up Miami Metrorail for information and maps) corridor starting in downtown/Brickell, then running through Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami (another separate municipality) and Dadeland.

If you live in a relatively new big condo near a Metrorail station and a Publix supermarket (e.g. Brickell, Dadeland), you could conceivably live without a car.

However, for the best deals on shopping, access to many parks, and the beaches, you most likely need a car, unless you are willing to suffer buses.

Generally speaking, while from a big-city European perspective real estate buy prices, even rental rates, in Miami are relatively reasonable, maintenance and insurance costs are very high, also property taxes.

Generally speaking, the message from Florida in general is to have your own business that does not require a lot of physical capital and live in a relatively modest dwelling, either cheap enough to rebuild with your own capital or new enough to meet the latest anti-hurricane building codes. If you are successful, you can afford the amenities.

On the other hand, it is helpful if you are coming with the backing of your government (diplomatic corps, for example) or a large corporation.

Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
I just moved to Miami from Spain (Madrid) last year. Honestly, you are probably used to walking around a lot in Spain and the only TRULY walkable part of Miami is South Beach. People will tell you that Coral Gables or Brickell or some other niche places are walkable, but they usually mean that there are three blocks where you can walk and then drive yourself home. Try to rent a furnished place (like we did) for a couple of months and then you can decide for yourself. Good luck with the search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami