Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

108 posts, read 415,800 times

Advertisements

I moved to Miami from Vancouver, BC in 1997 (my 12th anniversary was on Groundhog's Day). After living on the Upper Left Coast (San Francisco, CA, Eugene, OR and Vancouver, BC), I came with a whole lot of concern about Miami and SoFlo. No mountains! No whitewater rivers! No hotsprings! No patchouli-scented progressivitos! No Deadheads! No bike lanes! Etc. I was so depressed about the "holes in my thing" that I didn't even unpack most of my boxes for SIX YEARS. I spent so much time looking over my shoulder at the scene I left (for work...I follow the buffalo...) that I did not recognize all the beauty and opportunities in front of me.

I learned a little Spanish.

I bought a kayak.

I started commuting by bike.

I met other musicians to play with.

I started going out with Cuban immigrants.

I spent more time in the ocean.

I spent more time in the Keys and on the Gulf Coast.

I grew to like the skyline, the breezes, the many interesting neighborhoods, the food (especially FISH!), the River, the live music venues...

And now, I love Miami. I really do. Especially after I moved out of Kendall

Hasta -> DR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,342 times
I was in Vancouver last year and it was beautiful. Rating BVancouver and Miami on a scale of 1 to 100 I would rate Vancouver about an 85 and Miami about a 15. (Disclaimer: I was in Vancouver in October and not the winter).
The people in Vancouver, specifically the sub-division of Richmond, were friendly and the women were beautiful. It seemed about 60-70% of the population were East-Asian (Chinese). I hear the nickname for UBC(University of British Columbia) is "University of a Billion Chinese". The traffic was better than Miami, the food was great and even the air seemd cleaner (and Miami already has pretty good air).
I happy you like Miami-- surprised, but happy. Still, I can't imagine anyone would actually think Miami is better (except in the wintertime, of course).
Oh, one more thing. It's actually ironic that I heard LESS English up in Vancouver than I do in Miami.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
bienvendio a miami! I'm glad you see the beauty of the best city in the USA.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,784 times
Great post Dr Rico! I myself hail from the Pacific Northwest - grew up in Seattle, did my B.A. in Bellingham at WWU, and spend a lot of time in Vancouver during my college days. Great city!

I do miss the mountains and nature at times, but to compare the PNW with SoFla is like comparing apples and oranges. I love both for what they are, but I will take Miami any day over Seattle/Vancouver. I think the PNW has a kind of reverse paradise effect: many think it is the promised land with all of its nature, progressive thinking and diversity. But when you live there for a while, the gloss of all that wears off very quickly and you begin to realize it has its share of problems too.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
I have been to Vancouver once it is a great city best city in Canada IMO.
Miami is great though too, the weather, beaches, diversity, skyline, night life, nature, wildlife. When I tell my friends who live in the Northeast I will see a lizard, snake, spider, roach atleast once every 2 days or I have a 5 foot inguana living in my backyard they freak. Well I love it. Miami is a major world city yet very close with its surrondings and its amazing how the people who call Miami home have made such a influence on the city.
Miami is the best city in the US IMO but really can you say Miami is part of the US? Its nothing like any other city in North America. Its the Capital of Latin America for crying out loud. Thats the great thing about living in Miami you get to meet such different poeple from all over the world and they all mix together to make this great place we all call home. And of course the weather is the best. (besides for the hurricanes)

Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami is the best city in the US IMO but really can you say Miami is part of the US? Its nothing like any other city in North America. Its the Capital of Latin America for crying out loud. Thats the great thing about living in Miami you get to meet such different poeple from all over the world and they all mix together to make this great place we all call home.
When I first moved to Miami (before I let it be what it is), I used to say "the best thing about Miami is that you can walk to the USA from here."

Definitely dig the mix of cultures and the ability to travel to several different "countries" by bike in a single afternoon.

Vancouver is very beautiful and I miss the Pacific NorthWet, but I am quite happy here. I must say, 10 months of "rainy season" got to me after several soggy years up themsparts (the price of having a green vista, I suppose...folks up there don't tan, they rust!).

DR

Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rico View Post
I moved to Miami from Vancouver, BC in 1997 (my 12th anniversary was on Groundhog's Day). After living on the Upper Left Coast (San Francisco, CA, Eugene, OR and Vancouver, BC), I came with a whole lot of concern about Miami and SoFlo. No mountains! No whitewater rivers! No hotsprings! No patchouli-scented progressivitos! No Deadheads! No bike lanes! Etc. I was so depressed about the "holes in my thing" that I didn't even unpack most of my boxes for SIX YEARS. I spent so much time looking over my shoulder at the scene I left (for work...I follow the buffalo...) that I did not recognize all the beauty and opportunities in front of me.

I learned a little Spanish.

I bought a kayak.

I started commuting by bike.

I met other musicians to play with.

I started going out with Cuban immigrants.

I spent more time in the ocean.

I spent more time in the Keys and on the Gulf Coast.

I grew to like the skyline, the breezes, the many interesting neighborhoods, the food (especially FISH!), the River, the live music venues...

And now, I love Miami. I really do. Especially after I moved out of Kendall

Hasta -> DR
where in Miami do you live now?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
where in Miami do you live now?
NoBe. Its been good for me the last couple years (quiet...I've been writing), but I think I'll move some time in the next bit. Eyeballing Morningside/upper eastside, Brickelloid areas, The Roads...

DR

Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,020 times
great post!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rico View Post
NoBe. Its been good for me the last couple years (quiet...I've been writing), but I think I'll move some time in the next bit. Eyeballing Morningside/upper eastside, Brickelloid areas, The Roads...

DR
I am confused as to what is the roads. Is that the area along coral way west of 95?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami