Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating couple deciding on Reno or Miami from Washington DC, seeking opinions on quality of life in either city, commute to be less than one hour

Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 30,709 times

Advertisements

The situation: Wife was offered academic jobs in both cities. I'm in government consulting in DC, making a good living, and it looks like my area of expertise is a little DC-specific, so I'm worried about the job prospects.

We've got only days to decide which city will be our new home (though I'll probably transition only after finding suitable employment).

The general feel I've gotten looking at the forums and other sites is that quality of life is pretty good in Reno compared to Miami. I'm mono-lingual and I don't look forward to 8 months of high humidity summers year after year. But, Miami looks a bit better for my employment.

It's a given that in either city my wife will work in the city, so we're trying to keep our total commuting distances from home from exceeding an hour or so. For me, that would mean that I could work as far away as Sacramento if we lived right in between the two cities, which would probably put us in California. I'm not really sure where that hour commute would enable us to live if she worked in Miami.

Anyway, I'm a bit overwhelmed and any insight anybody can offer on this choice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I have not lived in Reno, but I have been there and Lake Tahoe which isn't far, beautiful place. But it was awhile ago, soo...Reno has many things not to far from it, like Lake Tahoe (year round place of fun and skiing there oh boy I would love that ) Yosimate (sp???) (you could do so much their almost year round too), Sacremento, Mammoth (they skied last year on July 4th) San Fran, the list goes on and on. Las Vegas in a car trip. The list of beautiful places Reno is in a car trip ride of wow...It takes 6-7 hours just to get out of the state of Florida, you have to fly to any where. Looks like they get hot too, not for as long as Miami though, and LOW humidity that is a big plus. And they get 4 seasons too, that is another big plus, two season is really boring, after a while you will miss the four seasons. If you could find a job out there I would say, Reno wins no contest. Good luck.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-18-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-18-2007, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 50,081 times
Smile dont listen to negative views

Miami and South Florida beats Reno hands down.The taxes are lower the weather is beautiful and I believe you would be quite happy here.I once considered Los Angeles and Miami.I can relate to your debate on the two places I would not choose reno.the economy of south florida is growing fast and only going to get bigger.You sound like you are a professional and the job opportunities in florida are very good for professionals.It is in service work and low skill occupations that people find (truly) that pay in the south is low.I did not like Nevada myself the air has sand in it and it is hard to breathe.Reno has an economy revolving around gambling florida has banking,tourism,trade,etc.Your job opportunities are pretty good in Miami.Crime is not that bad down here especially compared to bigger cities like Los Angeles.most of the crime is people involved in drugs who get themselves hurt by bad choices.There are many great neighboorhoods in broward county which is a close drive from Miami.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 PM

170 posts, read 285,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperitypreacher View Post
Miami and South Florida beats Reno hands down.The taxes are lower the weather is beautiful and I believe you would be quite happy here.I once considered Los Angeles and Miami.I can relate to your debate on the two places I would not choose reno.the economy of south florida is growing fast and only going to get bigger.You sound like you are a professional and the job opportunities in florida are very good for professionals.It is in service work and low skill occupations that people find (truly) that pay in the south is low.I did not like Nevada myself the air has sand in it and it is hard to breathe.Reno has an economy revolving around gambling florida has banking,tourism,trade,etc.Your job opportunities are pretty good in Miami.Crime is not that bad down here especially compared to bigger cities like Los Angeles.most of the crime is people involved in drugs who get themselves hurt by bad choices.There are many great neighboorhoods in broward county which is a close drive from Miami.
Of course, don't listen to negative views....it's all made up. Miami is paradise!

</sarcasm>

Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
Actually, the property and insurance taxes are lower in Reno. Plus, no hurricanes to worry about.

As far as economics are concerned, Reno hands down. Housing has to be cheaper, (maybe only a little~not sure). There are lots of brand new homes too. It is a little city with a small town feel that keeps on growing.

As far as scenery is concerned..this gets more complicated. In Miami you have the beach baby! Plus, no snow and lots of sunshine. But you also have humidity. Reno, imo, is not an attractive place, although not particularly unattractive. Well, it isn't attractive in the summer; however it is close to one of the most beautiful places in this country: Lake Tahoe. Plus, if you need some excitement, Sacramento is 2 hours away, and San Francisco is only 2 more hours away from Sac.

Weather- I think I would prefer Reno. You have plenty of sunshine with relatively no humidity, plus you get snow in the winter, but nothing crazy.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Actually, the property and insurance taxes are lower in Reno. Plus, no hurricanes to worry about.

As far as economics are concerned, Reno hands down. Housing has to be cheaper, (maybe only a little~not sure). There are lots of brand new homes too. It is a little city with a small town feel that keeps on growing.

As far as scenery is concerned..this gets more complicated. In Miami you have the beach baby! Plus, no snow and lots of sunshine. But you also have humidity. Reno, imo, is not an attractive place, although not particularly unattractive. Well, it isn't attractive in the summer; however it is close to one of the most beautiful places in this country: Lake Tahoe. Plus, if you need some excitement, Sacramento is 2 hours away, and San Francisco is only 2 more hours away from Sac.

Weather- I think I would prefer Reno. You have plenty of sunshine with relatively no humidity, plus you get snow in the winter, but nothing crazy.
Well, speaking from experience and having traveled in CA a lot, I would choose Reno, hands down. Reno is fun, but if you get tired of Reno, you have the whole of California on your doorstep. San Francisco is just a few hours drive away plus you have all that scenery and the wine growing area of Napa Valley. Sorry, but there is no contest whatsoever when comparing Florida to California on the scenery front – California wins hands down. The scenery in CA is simply stunning – amongst the best in the world. The mountains and forests are amazing and the coastline of California is amazing too. California’s climate (as far as I’m concerned) is as near to “perfect” as you can get. The coast never gets too hot, it’s rarely humid and you have the variety of having seasons too, without it getting too cold (unless you head inland). California is a beautiful state – and I can’t wait to go back.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:33 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Well, speaking from experience and having traveled in CA a lot, I would choose Reno, hands down. Reno is fun, but if you get tired of Reno, you have the whole of California on your doorstep. San Francisco is just a few hours drive away plus you have all that scenery and the wine growing area of Napa Valley. Sorry, but there is no contest whatsoever when comparing Florida to California on the scenery front – California wins hands down. The scenery in CA is simply stunning – amongst the best in the world. The mountains and forests are amazing and the coastline of California is amazing too. California’s climate (as far as I’m concerned) is as near to “perfect” as you can get. The coast never gets too hot, it’s rarely humid and you have the variety of having seasons too, without it getting too cold (unless you head inland). California is a beautiful state – and I can’t wait to go back.
I was comparing scenery between Nevada (Reno specifically) and Miami, not CA (which is such a beautiful state).

Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I was comparing scenery between Nevada (Reno specifically) and Miami, not CA (which is such a beautiful state).
Reno may be in Nevada, but it has California on its doorstep:

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?&ad...no%2C+NV+89431

Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 PM

12 posts, read 69,929 times
Default Miami

I came across this because I am thinking about moving away from Miami to Reno. Why?

* No seasons in Miami, It's hot and hotter
* Humidity is opressive, especially in Summer
* No skiing, I love to ski
* relatively high RE taxes (higher than Reno)
* Miami is less than 12% white/non-Hispanic like me.
* High crime, almost twice as dangerous as Reno
* Much more expensive housing than Reno
* terrible traffic
* No hiking or mountain biking
* very high insurance costs (auto and homeowner)
* Flat

but

Miami does have good points: the beachs, great restaurants, year round tennis and golf. Palm trees and delightful winters. and the girls look good ina bikini.

Don't read the travel brochures, visit each place more than once.

I am also considering Bend, OR, Santa Fe, NM, and Evergreen, CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami