Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 AM

34 posts, read 70,606 times

Advertisements

Hey im 18 years old and i want to move to florida from columbus ohio this summer. ive always wanted to live in florida i love the beach and the life style way more than ohio. Im a personal trainer and i want to make a good liveing at it, i think miami would be a good place to live for that because im sure the demand has to be pretty high but its so expensive there. Could anyone give me any suggestions I was thinking maybe tampa or fort lauderdale to start out then move to miami what do you guys think??

thanks alot, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 AM

292 posts, read 952,719 times
You can make it in Miami- the question is- do you want to? Heres the thing- living and working here is annoying. Its not an all day sun fest trip to the beach and hanging out all the time- people expect alot and do not pay much for it. So when your cost of living is double the national average- you cant afford to do the touristy things you think you will.

Also- tourists get annoying. Ever wonder what it was like to watch people go on vacation without you? Well get a Florida address and wait for people to call and say "were just coming down for a few days" right before they get on the plane. You wont like seeing people enjoy their time here while youre watching out the window at work.

Bottom line- think hard about whether South Florida is right for you. Read some of the 36000 other "I am moving to Florida" postings and get an idea what everyone has to say. Sometimes "fun in the sun" doesnt happen when you live there.

As for the choice- if youre going to make it- Tampa sounds about right.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,590,227 times
I am guessing that the market for personal trainers has taken a big hit statewide. People are hurting, losing their jobs, and paying for a personal trainer is something that many people who once could can no longer afford. However I would also guess that if there is a place in Florida where people are still paying for that sort of service, Miami would be it - but it's probably a difficult market to break into as a recent transplant. I like Tampa but I don't think it would be the best fit for you in that line of work at this time.

As for the trials and tribulations of living in Florida as described in this forum, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some people move here and spend all their energy just hating it and for some reason they like to camp the Florida forum spinning tales of woe and telling everyone how much it sucks here. I wish they'd just move back to where ever they came from so the rest of us can go back to enjoying our sub-tropical paradise. I can tell you that most people I know who move here really love it, they take advantage of all that Florida has to offer instead of moping about how they did it different up north. Your attitude greatly effects your experience.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsmith0210 View Post
You can make it in Miami- the question is- do you want to? Heres the thing- living and working here is annoying. Its not an all day sun fest trip to the beach and hanging out all the time- people expect alot and do not pay much for it. So when your cost of living is double the national average- you cant afford to do the touristy things you think you will.

Also- tourists get annoying. Ever wonder what it was like to watch people go on vacation without you? Well get a Florida address and wait for people to call and say "were just coming down for a few days" right before they get on the plane. You wont like seeing people enjoy their time here while youre watching out the window at work.

Bottom line- think hard about whether South Florida is right for you. Read some of the 36000 other "I am moving to Florida" postings and get an idea what everyone has to say. Sometimes "fun in the sun" doesnt happen when you live there.

As for the choice- if youre going to make it- Tampa sounds about right.
Could not have said it better myself!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM

763 posts, read 3,520,871 times
I think you'd really like Miami. As a personal trainer, I think you can find a lot of work in Miami, maybe not so much now since the country's in a recession, but if you're going to find work as a personal trainer in the U.S., Miami is a good place to find it.

If you want that beach lifestyle, I highly suggest you look into South Beach or Coconut Grove. These neighborhoods would also put you close to where your job will take you (Coral Gables, South Beach, Downtown, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne, etc.)

Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 PM

34 posts, read 70,606 times
ive been looking online at some prices i cant seem to find anything under 800 a month,and i know im not gonna start out makeing that kind of money isnt there any places that are half way decent for less than that there or what?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,278,925 times
Tampa would be your best bet.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM

158 posts, read 502,132 times
I've lived in both cities. The Tampa Bay area would be a better place to start out. It's a little less of a cultural jump for someone who's 18yo and coming from Columbus. It's also quite a bit more affordable. Then later on you can checkout Miami and decide if you really wanna live there.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Umm if you were to move to miami as a personal trainer... umm ehh need more info... i would suggest working at the beach but there are a lot of wierd people there.. Also are you white? Do you mind living in a spanish speaking neighborhood ? Need more info thanks.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Also take in consideration the people here are much different... we dont drive like people from ohio.. dont talk like them... dont act like them etc i dont want to come off rude or as if im bashing ohio but many people come down here thinking they live the life they see on TV but im sorry its not going to happen unless you are coming with a lot of cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami