Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times

Advertisements

OK, I think the wheels fell off about what, 5 years ago? That is when the prices began the out of control spiral, and the quality of life hit the ground like a rock. Most people have a mental image of Miami being what it was back in the late 90s...afordable, nice weather, diverse and trendy. Fast forward 7 tears and last night is just another example of the hell that Miami has become.

Let me set the scene...SW Miami off Coral Way, 3AM, the ghettobirds flying (police helicopters with flood lights), police driving by with loud speakers telling residents not to leave their homes because they are searching another one down the block...just another night in paradise. And guess what, I got to wake up to a freshly dumped couch half in the street half on the swale. I guess all of the commotion didn't deter the illegal dumpers.

How often do you all have the ghettobirds at night? This was the 3rd time since X-mas on my block. How often have you had cops corner off a part of your neighborhood? In my immediate area I would say about once a year on average (mind you the homes on my block are all valued 400K and up). And no, this is not normal in middle class areas in every big city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 05:39 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,784 times
Actually turning point was 1979. Still beutiful though.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:10 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=428667924&size=o (broken link)

why will it not post images?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM

170 posts, read 285,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
OK, I think the wheels fell off about what, 5 years ago? That is when the prices began the out of control spiral, and the quality of life hit the ground like a rock. Most people have a mental image of Miami being what it was back in the late 90s...afordable, nice weather, diverse and trendy. Fast forward 7 tears and last night is just another example of the hell that Miami has become.

Let me set the scene...SW Miami off Coral Way, 3AM, the ghettobirds flying (police helicopters with flood lights), police driving by with loud speakers telling residents not to leave their homes because they are searching another one down the block...just another night in paradise. And guess what, I got to wake up to a freshly dumped couch half in the street half on the swale. I guess all of the commotion didn't deter the illegal dumpers.

How often do you all have the ghettobirds at night? This was the 3rd time since X-mas on my block. How often have you had cops corner off a part of your neighborhood? In my immediate area I would say about once a year on average (mind you the homes on my block are all valued 400K and up). And no, this is not normal in middle class areas in every big city!
Unfortunately, most of Miami is ghettofied. I’m sure that this place was great, once. I can see the appeal – tropical climate, Latin culture, beaches, women, etc, etc, etc. Sadly, most of that is out of reach of the ordinary Joe. The beaches are too crowded, the women are gold diggers and there really is no culture here to speak of. It’s a shame, because Miami has so much damn potential – the only big city with a tropical climate on the mainland US continent and a gateway to Latin America. Sadly, this place is simply a playground for the rich and a boring hell-hole for the poor and middle class.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM

942 posts, read 2,584,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

Sorry Chelito, this hasn't happened in my neighborhood. We aren't gated and we have roughly ten square blocks between both sub divisions that connect. I am not a HUGE Miami fan but its the truth...has never happened.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
About a year and half ago down the street we did have a part of the neighborhood shut off, but not for a police hunt. Some kids broke into a boat, took the flares and then went to another house, put the flares into a car gas tank and lit the flares. Burned a car port, 3 cars and half the house. The family still doesn't live in the home a year and half later. That is the closests to blocking off part of the neighborhood. We do have the regular car break ins and home invasions, but Miami cops can't do anything about that, other than take down your name and address. (As you all know I am not to far from Pinecrest in a great area.) We don't have a dumping problem per se in our neighborhood, but a hispanic woman at the end of the block, puts stuff on the corner of her property with signs saying please take. This ugly tall spot light with fake flowers tied around it adorned the street sign for like two months till someone took it last week.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 AM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times
dumping problem.. thats what i need to take pictures of for you guys. all the trash thrown all over the roadsides. but someone please tell me how to post embedded images.

no i like people who give out free stuff and says please take. my parents neighborhood in socal did that all the time. i got a 60 gallon aquarium that way and my parents even gave away a PIANO that way.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:58 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I don't mind it if it is gone with in a week, but when it sits there for two months. She did put a fish tank out once. She doesn't always put a sign (I wish she did), this last time she didn't, so it looked like someone decorated the street sign with fake flowers, instead of free for the taking.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
ONCE I put out a chair that was in so-so condition...and I am not exagerating, when I went back out 5 minutes later, it was gone. No sign needed. Whatever isn't bolted to the ground is usually flies away. Unfortunately, most of what is dumped is truely garbage and not useable. However, I have seen multiple times, cars drive by and fish through the neighbors junk on pick up days. That doens't bother me though...
What does bother me are stangers using other strangers' swales as their own mini-dump since they are too cheap to get a removal permit for heavy refuse or don't want to pay a dumping fine if they get caught in a park.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 PM

113 posts, read 469,109 times
Another Miami first for me was seeing the maintenance workers (who I know for a FACT are illegal aliens) with personal items of mine that I had thrown down the trash chute days before.

Later that week I saw them going through the community garbage. And this is an upscale condo community in Sunny Isles Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami