Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo7221 View Post
anytime I think of 109/112/114 ave and coral way I think of that gigantic christmas light display emanating from the gingerbread house 2828 sw 112 ave I believe......now it's been torn down....
I remember that place. Now it suffered the same fate as all the 1-2.5 acre homes there- demolished and replaced by big homes on tiny lots. That used to be a nice area but has become more and more crowded and dumpy since the 70's. There was another rural home on 112 ave and coral way and it was replaced by third-world townhomes. Another dumpy section is near the shopping center and contains a run-down apartment building and trashy townhomes next lot over. Another ghetto created out of an estate home is close to 107 ave and bird road. An eccentric homeowner had that place like a petting zoo and in the late 70's it was replaced by the horrible dump that is there today. It is next to the former Mobil gas station (now Westar) and still has the abandoned "guard" gate at the entrance. There are also apartments west of it that burned down about 10 years ago and have been rebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:35 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Gee, things have changed.
Way back, Sweetwater was home of all "Cattle Rustlers".
The place was a mess with those houses with eagles and things.
The place was inhabited mostly by Americans that according to hearsay, traded with stolen cattle.
There were some Cubans back then.
There's nothing on the internet that confirms this. By all accounts Sweetwater was decimated by a hurricane in 1926 then RUSSIAN midgets dominated that place since the 1930's until highways and the university took over in the 1970's. This is when the Hispanic community "discovered" the community according to the internet. This is also on the city website.

Apparently it's very unique there, perhaps being the home of cattle rustling midgets, and a Chupacabra who is credited for killing 69 animals in 1996 .

The blood sucking Chupacabra isn't given any mention on the city website, though

Sweetwater borders the MALL that I interviewed for a job across the street from.

Can't imagine why I had second thoughts about living there, though, causing posters here to criticize me. Perhaps if I could find the Chupacabra I'd like it better, being an animal lover and all....ROFLMAO

Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Sweetwater has always been a dump since the white trash moonshining days till now. The western areas were called "swampwater". The only redeeming quality the area has is the proximity to the turnpike and FIU. However, even FIU has decreased in quality while increasing in quantity so who knows? A friend by 102 avenue tells me there is a lot of property crime in sweetwater but no drive-by shootings. Their government has a reputation of being corrupt for 1/2 a century but that may have changed with the atention they got for arresting and beating people they didn't like. Avoid the area if you can, it is not worth anywhere near the money asked to live there. Try Village/royale Green instead.
FIU has stayed at around the same student size for the last 5 years. It's been around 38,000 since 2004 or so. FIU has stopped growing in students, and the administration has made that clear which is why the admissions has gotten super tight (FIU now has a 33% admissions rate). The focus is now on raising the quality of all the colleges and schools.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times
Tallrick

I lived by the 122nd Ct...
Most of the area beyonds was bush, manigua.
We sold 30 years ago.
I remember they were developing all that area.
They must be waiting for the House Club..
Yes, there were too many developments...
The people living there, many Cubans, Americans, etc.
Sweetwater, yes, the place reminded me to those houses occupied by gypsys.
I had to pass a lot through that place several times everyday.
Cubans lived there since the 60's.
I knew some that lived there very early in the 60's and then moved to westchester.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Tallrick

I lived by the 122nd Ct...
Most of the area beyonds was bush, manigua.
We sold 30 years ago.
I remember they were developing all that area.
They must be waiting for the House Club..
Yes, there were too many developments...
The people living there, many Cubans, Americans, etc.
Sweetwater, yes, the place reminded me to those houses occupied by gypsys.
I had to pass a lot through that place several times everyday.
Cubans lived there since the 60's.
I knew some that lived there very early in the 60's and then moved to westchester.
I seem to remember a former member who wrote on separate bullet lines just like you. I think his name was jbravo. Anyhoo, I just thought you guys might know each other...

To the OP - Sweetwater should be avoided at all costs, except for if you are unlucky enough to be a student at FIU's South Campus or an impoverished Central American immigrant seeking refuge in Miami's Nicaraguan district (Sweetwater). I bet there are a lot of companies that pay minimum wage who forage through Sweetwater's barrio streets to find unskilled labor.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,146 times
I lived in sweetwater since i was 8 , it doesnt feel like the hood for there isnt people roaming the streets although there is a couple drunks and crackheads thing is over here they stay within the alleys so its harder for them to get caught were in lil havana they walk everywhere without giving a **** . The crime rate is higher than other places for its small area . Cops are corrupted theres robberies every single day just 3 days ago someone got murdered a lil while ago a girl got burnt so idc just because we have a college dorm makes it middleclass you tripping this place is dangerous . Infact on sunday the farm stores got robbed yall just dont know cause they barely put **** on the news but yall should check sweetwater miami crime rate and see for yourself

Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,833 times
i just moved to sweetwater. i need a connect. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-16-2015 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: For your protection please use private message to contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami