Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,844 times

Advertisements

Hello Miami,

I'm 19 and a student at a local junior college getting a paralegal degree and going to transfer to a four year school and getting a bachelors degree. I'm thinking about going to law school, but might have to put that on hold for awhile for financial reasons maybe work for a couple years so i have some money for law school anyway I have a desire to move/go to school to south Florida because of the warm/mild weather. I'm from the Philadelphia area and I'm sick and tired of the cold winters and the snow that we get, but I also love the northeast culture with all of the museums, nightlife, and mega malls that the delaware valley has to offer. I really don't think of Miami when it's summer for the city of Philadelphia is HOT and everyone hits for the Jersey shore. I just see miami beach as just a spring break destination that i go to for a week and say goodbye, but i miss the warm weather.
My questions to all miami natives is... Is it worth moving just for weather related purposes? Is their culture? Is there a good job market for the legal profession? Is there a good gay (and straight) nightlife scene? Are hurricanes really bad and is it worth it? (I never experienced a hurricane-i can't imagine what it's like lol.) Sorry for all the questions-my main question is the weather question mentioned above.

Thanks,
ADAM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

763 posts, read 3,521,159 times
As a Miami native who loves Miami, I'd move to Miami, but that's just me being biased. The Summer's are hot here, but they're just as hot and humid as the rest of the Eastern Seaboard. Only difference is our Summer is felt longer. I wouldn't move purely because of the weather, you should be moving here because you like Miami's culture, and what Miami has to offer not just because you don't want to deal with snow.

Miami has everything that Philly has. It has all the museums, the neighborhoods, the parks, lots of gay people, the nightlife (better than Philly), the malls, the diversity, etc. There's a lot to Miami than just what you see in movies. There's the everyday Miami. We don't just sit around on the beach drinking Margaritas and we don't all live in South Beach. Miami's a huge metro area of 5.5 million people, and there's a ton of different cultures. Is it different than Philly? Hell yeah, but that doesn't mean that's a bad thing. You really just need to come for yourself and visit Miami (and not just the touristy areas in South Beach). Cheers!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,952,559 times
I live in Miami and Washington DC. Miami has much more culture and Nightlife than any other city in North America expect for New York. Miami night life is world famous! It has a scene for any type of person! You will have a much better Night Life in Miami than you would in Philadelphia,Boston,Chicago etc.. The weather is great. Hurricanes reallly are not that bad. If a Cat 5 (knock on wood) ever hits sometime than that could be bad. But since Miami is the most likely major city in the world to be hit by a hurricane the city is very prepared for them. Much more prepared than lets say New Orleans. Also you get days noticed before a Hurricane hits so you can always evacuate if you must.
Miami is a very international City again on LA and New York can compare with Miami in this field. One thing Miami is lacking are good Muesums but it makes up for that with other things like two National Parks, Beaches, Orlando a 3 hour drive away. The Bahamas right next door and the Florida Keys. For Malls I am not much of a fan of them they are very suburban but Miami has a lot of big malls some of the biggest in the country you dont need to worry about that. As for the job market Miami job market is better than most of the country since it is such a large international city and deals with a lot of international finance. Miami is known as the capital of Latin America.
Miami is more like living in Latin American/Caribbean city than a city in the US. Its a great place to live. And you could always just go to school there and than move back North.
I love DC its a great place with a lot of things to do during the day and its night life is okay. I still find it wierd that a bar closes at 2:30am here in Miami they will close when everyone leaves at 7am.
Miami has a great Interntional and diverse culture and is one of the few true 24 hours a day city in North America. Only thing that PHL has that Miami does not is a big art muesum and old buildings. The oldest buildings in Miami are from the 1890s+ Maybe a handfull of buildings in the area from before than.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:10 PM

118 posts, read 312,742 times
To clarify the issue of weather,
do homes in Mi need central heating,
or the "heat" mode of the A/C is adequate for Mi "winters" ?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,282,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewcomer View Post
or the "heat" mode of the A/C is adequate for Mi "winters" ?
Yes and even that isn't needed most years.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,621,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Hurricanes reallly are not that bad. If a Cat 5 (knock on wood) ever hits sometime than that could be bad. But since Miami is the most likely major city in the world to be hit by a hurricane the city is very prepared for them. Much more prepared than lets say New Orleans. Also you get days noticed before a Hurricane hits so you can always evacuate if you must.
To the OP, do not listen to the above advice. Hurricanes are serious, they don't hit every year, but they aren't to be taken lightly. I'm guessing the above poster was not in south Florida when Andrew hit. South Florida was far from being prepared for that. And to say that New Orleans was not prepared - how exactly does one prepare a city that sits below sea level on the edge of a lake for a Cat 5 hurricane and its storm surge? How does one prepare any city for that? If you know anything about hurricanes, you know that they are more than a storm that gives you a few days notice to decide whether to stay or go. Hurricanes have tornadoes inside of them, and those cannot be predicted. Anyway, don't let people fool you into not taking hurricanes seriously.

But to your initial question - do not move anywhere just for the weather. I am a Miami native, my parents still live there. The climate in south Florida is subtropical - it is not warm and mild. It is hot and humid for a good 8-9 months per year. It does not cool off at night during those months and feels like a sauna at 7:00 in the morning. Some people love this, but those who come seeking the Holy Grail of weather are often taken by surprise and disappointed. Having lived in Miami nearly my entire life, I have had several friends who moved there "for the weather" and end up not liking it. Subtropical weather is not for everyone, so I would suggest visiting at different times of the year, not just during spring break. Come in May, late August, October.

In all honesty, you should be basing your decision on where you will want to go to school because of the school, not the weather. It could be Miami, if the school you plan to attend there is going to give you a good education. It could be anywhere. In the end, the weather is not what is going to get you a good education and have an impact on your future success.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
To the OP, do not listen to the above advice. Hurricanes are serious, they don't hit every year, but they aren't to be taken lightly. I'm guessing the above poster was not in south Florida when Andrew hit. South Florida was far from being prepared for that. And to say that New Orleans was not prepared - how exactly does one prepare a city that sits below sea level on the edge of a lake for a Cat 5 hurricane and its storm surge? How does one prepare any city for that? If you know anything about hurricanes, you know that they are more than a storm that gives you a few days notice to decide whether to stay or go. Hurricanes have tornadoes inside of them, and those cannot be predicted. Anyway, don't let people fool you into not taking hurricanes seriously.

But to your initial question - do not move anywhere just for the weather. I am a Miami native, my parents still live there. The climate in south Florida is subtropical - it is not warm and mild. It is hot and humid for a good 8-9 months per year. It does not cool off at night during those months and feels like a sauna at 7:00 in the morning. Some people love this, but those who come seeking the Holy Grail of weather are often taken by surprise and disappointed. Having lived in Miami nearly my entire life, I have had several friends who moved there "for the weather" and end up not liking it. Subtropical weather is not for everyone, so I would suggest visiting at different times of the year, not just during spring break. Come in May, late August, October.

In all honesty, you should be basing your decision on where you will want to go to school because of the school, not the weather. It could be Miami, if the school you plan to attend there is going to give you a good education. It could be anywhere. In the end, the weather is not what is going to get you a good education and have an impact on your future success.
I was in Miami durring Andrew and much of the damage was done from bad building codes. Buidlings in South Florida are much stronger these days and the old buildings are the ones which do the best since they are stone structures. I would rather take a Hurricane over a major Earthquake, Tornado or Tsunami any day. You have days warning and can prepare your home. By New Orleans not being prepared I meant evacuations and the high death toll. There is nothing you can really do about the flooding and property damage but the death toll was the important aspect. Well actually the leeves should have been made stronger and made to withstand higher than a Cat 3. So really New Orleans was not prepared well.

Also as stated above dont move just because of the weather that would be a bad reason to move to a place.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 PM

49 posts, read 81,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Also as stated above dont move just because of the weather that would be a bad reason to move to a place.
How can you say weather would be a bad reason to move to a place ?

Why does Canada or Alaska have such a low population density despite all their resources ?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM

118 posts, read 312,742 times
Personally,as a foreigner who plans to relocate to America,
I concluded after a serious search that 2 cities are the best...

Houston & Miami.

Houston may be ..." the Miami of the poor ". Everything is so affordable there.

But Miami looks like paradise on earth,on Google maps & on ...CSI Miami...

Weather data tell the story.

When Athens,GR & Houston have 8 C in Jan,Miami has...16C.

As for July...Ath 33,Hou 33,Mi 34. No big deal. Completely tolerable.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ache View Post
How can you say weather would be a bad reason to move to a place ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ache View Post

Why does Canada or Alaska have such a low population density despite all their resources ?

That is a completely different story, those places are almost inhabitable. Very rugged and isolated terrain. But there are plenty of people in the Cities of those areas.
I am saying dont move just because you like the weather. Moving is an important decision unless your retiring and have money dont just move because you want to get away from the cold. Make sure there is a school you want to go to there, a job for you to get etc..
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami