Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:27 PM

34 posts, read 343,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Miami sounds like a good fit for you. LA I wouldn't recommend personally.

I would also seriously consider San Fran and San Diego. I guess it depends on your personality. San Diego and San Fran are more laid back. Miami is glitzier and flashier. It doesn't get much better than San Diego weather.

I think some posters really have an ax to grind with Miami. Plus how is being bilingual a bad thing? It can only help advance you in almost any career. More clients = more money.

People are a really ignorant on here sometimes. Yes there is a substantial lower class Hispanic population, but there are also a lot of middle class and upper class Latinos in Miami that are second and third generation Hispanic-Americans and they know English! Jeez, just because there are a lot of Hispanics around doesn't mean that they ALL don't speak English.
what have i said that makes u think i would like miami but not la?

Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 AM

166 posts, read 986,290 times
I can tell you from experience that you cannot avoid those neighborhoods.

If it was so true that they do speak English then why is it when I was lost in Miami I couldn't find one person that I could communicate with? I remember being lost for over an hr. and we went to many different neighborhoods off the highway. I couldn't find one person to communicate with. Literally! Perhaps hidden in secluded little tourist areas (South Beach, Coconut Grove, etc.) it's possible to communicate in English, and actually enjoy your time spent in these locations, but we kept on pulling off the highways. I don't know where we were? For some reason we couldn't find a person anywhere that spoke English (in the Hispanic communities). So, after an hr. of looking for an English speaking community I suggested we find an area like Liberty City or Carol City to ask for directions. We did find one like that. You know what happened? We drove into this community and a gang took a 7 or 8 year old kid and put him in front of our car while we were driving. We immediately stopped the car, but the gang wanted to break into our car. They tried to open our doors, but it was locked. We drove out of there before they busted our windows. Nice neighborhood, huh? At leas they spoke English, however I would have rather of stayed in an area where they did speak Spanish. At least they didn't try to rob us in the Spanish speaking communities! It was actually easier for me to communicate with Europeans in Europe than it was in Miami. Much safer, too! At least nobody tried to rob us in Europe! I went to Italy, Switzerland, Paris and London. Much better experience!

Also I have to share this story since I grew up in Pembroke Pines, Florida. I remember the only time I ever needed stitches was when I split my ear lobe in half. I was rushed to the emergency room and the doctor on staff who performed this simple procedure messed it up. He could barely speak English!Due to the language barrier he couldn't understand that when I wanted to be stitched back together, I still wanted to wear earrings. After my ear healed up, sure enough I couldn't wear any earrings. I had to find an English speaking plastic surgeon, pay him $400, to split my ear lobe in half again and stitch it up properly. This procedure only required a few stitches each time. I have a small scar on my ear from all of this and everytime I think about the experience, I think about the doctor in the emergency room who couldn't understand what I was saying! Now would you really like a doctor like him to stitch you up? Back then I assume $400 would be like $2,000 now. Not only did my parents have to pay the fee for the emergency room, but they also had to pay the plastic surgeon.

You can't avoid this...it's everywhere you go. Your kids will be taugh English from Spanish speaking adults. How in the heck did South Florida get like this I don't know...but I can't wait to move out of here! Good luck in your move to Miami but most people I know want out! I don't have anything against hispanic communites as my father is 1/2 Hispanic, but I want to have intelligent conversations with English speaking adults (including doctors), and I want my kids to go to a school where the kids and teachers speak English! I avoid Miami at all costs! After the horrific experience of getting lost, and almost getting killed, I just viist North Miami! And even then it's impossible to avoid this type of third world ghetto.

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-24-2007 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 14,023 times
Angry Miami is not English Friendly, only SPANISH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibharu View Post
im from chicago, live in the suburbs currently, and go to the university of illinois. I am going to graduate in a couple months and plan on entering law school in the fall of 2008, meaning i will apply in fall 07. I hate cold weather and want to go to law school somewhere warm and with a good job market, especially for lawyers obviously. Im open to pretty much anywhere in the US, and have been lookin at San Deigo, LA, and Miami. Miami appeals to me because the U of M is the best law school in the area and the bigger firms in Miami start at 115K. However, reading some of the posts on here, it seems as if Miami is not a place where I would want to be. What do you all think?
Moving to Miami, FL is not a good idea especially if you don't speak spanish. The days of segregation is alive and well, but modern day style. I have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and pursuing a Masters in Public Administration and I'm still unable to find employment in my field. After 6 years of schooling, I'm still working as an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist. I'm seriously thinking of moving out Florida, and seeking employment in either New York, Chicago, Georgia, or DC.
Also, the complexity issues here are just overrated!. Discrimination based on Language, color, hair style, and the choice of schooling are all too common here (for example, someone who attends UM, FIU are most likely to get hired versus someone who attends University of Phoenix, selective hiring, nepotism is a regular practice here, racial slurs in spanish are also a common practice among certain groups, total disregard of other people's culture, and their contribution to history, and this fact based list goes on and on and on. everything people fought for in the past such as equality and justice doesn't mean anything here.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 14,023 times
Default Miami is not English Friendly, only SPANISH!!

Moving to Miami, FL is not a good idea especially if you don't speak spanish. The days of segregation is alive and well, but modern day style. I have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and pursuing a Masters in Public Administration and I'm still unable to find employment in my field. After 6 years of schooling, I'm still working as an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist. I'm seriously thinking of moving out Florida, and seeking employment in either New York, Chicago, Georgia, or DC.
Also, the complexity issues here are just overrated!. Discrimination based on Language, color, hair style, and the choice of schooling are all too common here (for example, someone who attends UM, FIU are most likely to get hired versus someone who attends University of Phoenix, selective hiring, nepotism is a regular practice here, racial slurs in spanish are also a common practice among certain groups, total disregard of other people's culture, and their contribution to history, and this fact based list goes on and on and on. everything people fought for in the past such as equality and justice doesn't mean anything here.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habibharu View Post
what have i said that makes u think i would like miami but not la?
You said the following, "Miami appeals to me because the U of M is the best law school in the area and the bigger firms in Miami start at 115K."

As for LA, I personally don't like LA, so I was just giving my opinion, albeit a vague one. They are not exactly the same, Miami and LA, although they are similar. Miami still has a smaller feel to it, compared to LA.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatred is in their DNA View Post
I'm sure if you go around these forums you will find people that have negative things to say about almost every part of the country, especially all the major cities.

Hatred is in their DNA, I am sorry to hear about what you have experienced. A change in location probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you. However, you shouldn't apply your situation to everyone else. Some people are very happy in Miami, I know some of them. Not everyone is pissed off over there.

All I am saying is in big cities you will find some happy people and a lot of miserable people. It is pretty common.

habibharu do your research and do whatever you feel is best for you.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
I moved 2 years ago from Orange County, as a CA native I have seen the decline in that state. The weather is not going to afford you a decent place to live or make you a decent living. Yes, CA is a very beautiful state. There is no other state that has mountains, deserts, and the ocean combined. That, though, is the only thing it has going for it. For a person trying to enter law school you will not make enough to pay rent. You would have to take roomies (and thats not all that it is cracked up to be). For $1200 you can find a shabby apartment in a not so good area of town. You will not have anything left over hardly to be able to do anything fun because your money is going to be gone before you see it. All cities have crime, but CA has one of the worst gang problems and it is not getting any better. The air is dirty and polluted that it will literally burn your eyes, throat, and lungs. You face a commute of 2-4 hrs in traffic each day. As a young person entering law school, you would never be able to enjoy the culture, the shopping, the CA experience because you wont have any money left over for that. You are going to have to learn spanish no matter where you are going to live, immigration is not going to stop. CA, has a bad problem with illegals and they run up the costs of living for all of us. CA is losing population because the middle class cannot afford it. They are fleeing to places like NV, AZ, and OR for a better way of life. In CA 115k you will barely be able to lead a comfortable life style because they take 9.3% of it in taxes (yet you see nothing for your tax dollars). If I was a young person entering law school I would definately check out South Florida/Miami area. After you are out of law school when you start practicing you will be able to enjoy a very good life. Miami is a great place for lawyers (I know I will get a bad rap for saying that, I am quite aware that being a lawyer is not popular). All the while you will still be able to enjoy a comfortable life during your law school years. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLawyer View Post
I moved 2 years ago from Orange County, as a CA native I have seen the decline in that state. The weather is not going to afford you a decent place to live or make you a decent living. Yes, CA is a very beautiful state. There is no other state that has mountains, deserts, and the ocean combined. That, though, is the only thing it has going for it. For a person trying to enter law school you will not make enough to pay rent. You would have to take roomies (and thats not all that it is cracked up to be). For $1200 you can find a shabby apartment in a not so good area of town. You will not have anything left over hardly to be able to do anything fun because your money is going to be gone before you see it. All cities have crime, but CA has one of the worst gang problems and it is not getting any better. The air is dirty and polluted that it will literally burn your eyes, throat, and lungs. You face a commute of 2-4 hrs in traffic each day. As a young person entering law school, you would never be able to enjoy the culture, the shopping, the CA experience because you wont have any money left over for that. You are going to have to learn spanish no matter where you are going to live, immigration is not going to stop. CA, has a bad problem with illegals and they run up the costs of living for all of us. CA is losing population because the middle class cannot afford it. They are fleeing to places like NV, AZ, and OR for a better way of life. In CA 115k you will barely be able to lead a comfortable life style because they take 9.3% of it in taxes (yet you see nothing for your tax dollars). If I was a young person entering law school I would definately check out South Florida/Miami area. After you are out of law school when you start practicing you will be able to enjoy a very good life. Miami is a great place for lawyers (I know I will get a bad rap for saying that, I am quite aware that being a lawyer is not popular). All the while you will still be able to enjoy a comfortable life during your law school years. Good Luck!
I'd say that many of the things you said about CA could easily be said about the Miami area (with exception of the pollution and proximity to mountains and desert, and gangs to a lesser extent). One question is, will a fledgling lawyer in CA be making $115k? And is it a guarantee that one would be getting $115k to start off in Miami? Miami is a very discriminatory city from my own personal experiences being employed and living there (having been born and raised there). If you're not hispanic, the cronyism, corruption and blatant discrimination could cause major problems in getting the best of the best jobs.

UM is in a nice area (Coral Gables, one of my favorite spots in Miami). It is also an expensive area to live for students who are not independently wealthy/funded by wealthy mom and dad. All places with "good weather" are going to be expensive because everyone wants to live there. Now, if you are concerned about the character of the city, that is something else to take into consideration.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Fascinating thread.

You could conceivable achieve fluency in Spanish during your years at law school, it would certainly be worth it to make the extra effort, go the extra mile. Then, as a single person (I assume), a small apartment in Brickell could well be worth having on 115k a year while you build up your career and consider other options.

In my view the issue is not whether Miami is expensive. The issue is whether it is a good deal for the money.

As I wrote to the fellow from New York in another thread, if it purely a question of quality of life, I would prefer to spend $600k to buy in San Francisco than $350k to buy in Miami. But that's my measure: if weather is the main criteria, then Miami is certainly a better deal than, say, San Diego (similar weather, lower price, assuming you don't mind heavy humidity).

But I would suggest to the OP to consider a broader criteria than just weather. For example, does the U of M law school excel in the specialization that you are considering? Have you consulted with the faculty?

You did mention, wisely, that you are willing to consider anywhere in the US. While not perfect climate, some cities in other states may offer a better overall balance than Miami, such as Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia. Maybe you should reconsider leaving Chicago and just take a nice vacation in the winter.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 PM

98 posts, read 307,016 times
I dont speak Spanish and still manage to "function" in So Fla. So I think that is not relevant. More importantly, can you handle the dichotomy of rude people, high crime, high cost of living and all of the really cool 4-foot long iguanas who sunbath on the side of the roads near canals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami