Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
More American 72 28.80%
More Latin American 178 71.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM

270 posts, read 703,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Yeah, Panama City it's also my guess, but I think it resembles more to cities like Manila, Singapore, Bangkok...
I've been to Singapore and Bangkok and those 2 have nothing on Miami lol Phuket is close to Miami, but not quite. My money is on Rio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
I've been to Singapore and Bangkok and those 2 have nothing on Miami lol Phuket is close to Miami, but not quite. My money is on Rio.
I was talking about Panama City and South East asia. HUmmm... Rio compared to Panama City or Miami? Miami looks far too different from Rio.

How about Maracaibo?? The Miami of South America...

Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Nah...my bad, Maracaibo doesn't look like the way Miami is designed.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 PM

33 posts, read 67,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Not sure why someone dug up this old thread, but I also observe that Miami is very much a US city, at the very least by administration (it is on US soil) and financing, but even education as the second and third generation latinos are now struggling to maintain Spanish, believe me, I see it everyday among the children.

But to focus on finance, for example, do the research on the major infrastructure projects in Miami such as intermodal logistics centers (PortMiami, MIA, cargo and passenger railroads, etc.), and you will discover that almost all the private-sector financing comes from the northeast US (New York), just as it did a century ago with the likes of Henry Flagler, and the public-sector financing comes from Washington and Tallahassee, while locals manage a lot of the international trade and of course day-to-day administration, service jobs, etc.

There are other strategic sectors we could talk about like electricity, telecommunications, food distribution, water management and military. Take a look at who owns, for example, FPL, AT&T and Publix, while the latter two are major undertakings directed by both the national and state governments.

Such things are the nuts and bolts of a society.

However, I realize that many people on these forums are young and they focus on such superficialities as how many restaurants, night clubs and street parties, what food is being served, what music is being played, boobs and culies.

Grow up and try to understand Miami's (and more generally Florida's) role in European colonial and US history and the US relationship with the Caribbean and Latin America. Even the success of Cuban Americans and others in developing Miami into a major regional hub on the international trade circuit is much more a typical US success story than a Latin American success story, though no doubt the two are intertwined.

To people coming from the north (both US and increasingly contemporary Europe, e.g. Russia), Miami offers an abundance of warmth and water, and they bring their wealth with them to enjoy it and develop it, to people coming from the south it offers relative political and economic stability on US soil, and relative proximity to where they came from, and they bring their wealth with them to enjoy it and develop it. Together over the past 60-70 years they have made Miami what it is today - no doubt the Cubans and others have been a booster shot in the arm, injecting fresh, new, energetic blood - and will continue to do so going forward.
+1000

People are looking at the superficialities of the city. Miami is as American as a rural town in Alabama.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 AM

233 posts, read 449,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, Latin-American cities are more dense and walkable and tend to be alot older than Miami. But then again, there aren't many cities in the US like Miami. Truly a unique city.

Miami is an American city, the fact that Spanish is the lingua franca (a language spoken by 500 million people) and they sell pan con lechón does not mean a thing. Latin American cities are more European on their layout, they are still growing according to ancient layouts that are in many cases precolombian.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM

270 posts, read 703,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I was talking about Panama City and South East asia. HUmmm... Rio compared to Panama City or Miami? Miami looks far too different from Rio.
The Philippines, Brunei (Bandar Seri Begawan,) and Indonesia (Bali) are different vibe than Miami, more tranquility and peaceful places than Miami. Singapore and Shanghai are similar to one another and not really beachy places. Phuket, Thailand is the closet one. That what I remember from my trips to SEA countries.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
Miami is an American city, the fact that Spanish is the lingua franca (a language spoken by 500 million people) and they sell pan con lechón does not mean a thing. Latin American cities are more European on their layout, they are still growing according to ancient layouts that are in many cases precolombian.
Yep. Pretty much what I said. Latin-American cities tend to be waaay older than Miami, more urban, more dense, and walk-able. Like you said, alot of them had pre-columbian layouts and influence. Having said that, for an American city, people sure do love to complain about un-american Miami is. Miami just can't win.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yep. Pretty much what I said. Latin-American cities tend to be waaay older than Miami, more urban, more dense, and walk-able. Like you said, alot of them had pre-columbian layouts and influence. Having said that, for an American city, people sure do love to complain about un-american Miami is. Miami just can't win.

Miami has always been un-american city for your typical southener or people from middle America. Back in the 40's and 50's they said that Miami was a very corrupt Jewish city owned by the mob, now they say it's a Hispanic city. For them, Miami has always been a place full of sin and decadence, let's not forget that the Bible Belt begins at two hours from Miami. For them, Jews were one notch above or five notches below blacks.

Last edited by Gargamel10; 01-25-2013 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
Miami has always been un-american city for your typical southener or people from middle America. Back in the 40's and 50's they said that Miami was a very corrupt Jewish city owned by the mob, now they say it's a Hispanic city. For them, Miami has always been a place full of sin and decadence, let's not forget that the Bible Belt begins at two hours from Miami. For them, Jews were one notch above or five notches below blacks.
Good point. Crazy how they viewed Jews. And I don't get it, Cubans make up the largest Republican voting-Hispanic blocks in the nation, yet the way some of the non-Latino Republicans look at Cubans and Miami residents as trash.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 AM

Not how they viewed..but how the view.... Many Cubans also look at many non-Cuban Republicans as trash, many Jews look at gentiles as trash, many Asians look at Americans as lazy scum, etc, etc. The US is a big, harmonious, medieval ghetto.

If Jews are majoritarily Democrats, it's because they are afraid of the religious right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami