Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,320 times

Advertisements

I have always thought that Miami needs to have a theme park in the city.

We would totally assimilate all of the dollars $$$$ that tourists bring from abroad if we just had a few of these theme parks. We have the beaches, the malls, the weather, the tropical people, the nightlife, everything that is enviable by other tropical destinations.

A theme park is what we need to become a perfect tropical destination.

Plus... I bet that Disney and Universal would break all records for ticket sales. Many tourists visit Miami and many can`t travel to Orlando because their time in Miami is too short and sometimes the weather in Orlando is too cold (water parks).

Miami`s weather would be perfect for a water park....

I hope Universal or Disney build one in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
Miami needs to work on A LOT of things before even thinking about bringing ANOTHER place for tourists. Too much is wrong with Miami, it needs to focus on other things, imo.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
The LAST thing Miami needs to do is to focus on a cancer riddled industry such as Tourism. They need to focus on productive industries.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
Agreed -- tourism is not the long-term solution for Miami and in reality, this should be more than just a playground for tourists.

Tourism cannot provide an economically sustainable future for a city this size. Tourism is an unreliable source of income at best and during tough economic times, tourism takes a nosedive anyway.

Besides, Miami is generally not a place where families would opt to bring their children for a family vacation. This is a city for clubbers, for partying (i.e. best for single, young adults). Where would you possibly build a large theme park here anyway, especially as virtually every piece of land in this city is turned into condo/retail developments?

Miami really needs parks, i.e. real parks. That, along with a decent museum and a better central public library.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Agreed -- tourism is not the long-term solution for Miami and in reality, this should be more than just a playground for tourists.

Tourism cannot provide an economically sustainable future for a city this size. Tourism is an unreliable source of income at best and during tough economic times, tourism takes a nosedive anyway.

Besides, Miami is generally not a place where families would opt to bring their children for a family vacation. This is a city for clubbers, for partying (i.e. best for single, young adults). Where would you possibly build a large theme park here anyway, especially as virtually every piece of land in this city is turned into condo/retail developments?

Miami really needs parks, i.e. real parks. That, along with a decent museum and a better central public library.
You hit the nail right on the head!!!! They need to build a park downtown that would rival central park. They also need tons of community parks amongst the condos. In NYC thats how we have it, each area has a little community park and then of course you have prospect park. Miami needs to make this place more livable. To me it isn't that livable but Fort Lauderdale is even worse off in that regard. I like the idea they put forward for how they want to redo those two parks along biscayne (I forget the name of those two parks). One of the parks they said they are going to build two museums in. I hope that actually comes to fruition. They also need to dump tons of money into mass transit. Once the deleveraging is over, that gas is going to go back up. People want livable, sustainable communities. Reliance on cars only adds to peoples frustration as they are stuck in traffic half the darn day.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:46 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Miami really doesn't have great weather. And could you imagine the threat every year we have during hurricane season. At least in Orlando its a little less of a threat than Miami. I am sorry but from Mid-May through November I wouldn't want to be outside too long in our temps at a Theme Park, its just way to hot, humid and rainy! Indoor things is what Miami needs...

Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You hit the nail right on the head!!!! They need to build a park downtown that would rival central park. They also need tons of community parks amongst the condos. In NYC thats how we have it, each area has a little community park and then of course you have prospect park. Miami needs to make this place more livable. To me it isn't that livable but Fort Lauderdale is even worse off in that regard. I like the idea they put forward for how they want to redo those two parks along biscayne (I forget the name of those two parks). One of the parks they said they are going to build two museums in. I hope that actually comes to fruition. They also need to dump tons of money into mass transit. Once the deleveraging is over, that gas is going to go back up. People want livable, sustainable communities. Reliance on cars only adds to peoples frustration as they are stuck in traffic half the darn day.
I think the condo developments in Downtown Miami would have been a lot more appealing if (in the first place) Downtown Miami and Brickell (and Miami in general) were more appealing and had the amenities necessary to sustain a gentrified community. It's as if the Mayor (and his predecessors) wanted the chicken before the egg, if you catch my drift.

Parks are an absolute necessity to any major city. We have beaches here, but those are often crowded and harder to get to for those living in Hialeah and Kendall. Miami has no places to unwind and escape....and it's not like there's beautiful scenery to escape to, even once you leave city limits.

Fairchild Tropical Garden is an example of how beautiful open spaces can be made here. The climate is great for growing all varieties of exotic plants (plants which cannot be grown in any other part of the United States).

Many politicians, officials and developers here clearly don't like parks and never have -- they don't generate $$$, after all and it seems to me that every piece of land in Miami has to be gobbled up by yet another condo, strip mall or retail outlet.

There's more to life than money. Parks are beneficial to communities on so many levels, as are museums, libraries and decent schools, but funding for such things often isn't present here in FL.

Tell me, what would benefit Miami more....a new Marlins stadium, or would that money be better spent going towards education and improving the city as a whole?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami really doesn't have great weather. And could you imagine the threat every year we have during hurricane season. At least in Orlando its a little less of a threat than Miami. I am sorry but from Mid-May through November I wouldn't want to be outside too long in our temps at a Theme Park, its just way to hot, humid and rainy! Indoor things is what Miami needs...
Indoor public swimming baths would be a good concept here...

Many people don't own their own pools and many of us don't have easy access to the beach. Outdoor public baths are more cumbersome to maintain, so indoor baths are the way to go....some could be almost like mini waterparks for parents to take their children to.

Miami is prone to hurricanes and bad weather, but Fairchild Tropical Garden is proof that you can have natural beauty here, in abundance.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
I have always thought that Miami needs to have a theme park in the city.

We would totally assimilate all of the dollars $$$$ that tourists bring from abroad if we just had a few of these theme parks. We have the beaches, the malls, the weather, the tropical people, the nightlife, everything that is enviable by other tropical destinations.

A theme park is what we need to become a perfect tropical destination.

Plus... I bet that Disney and Universal would break all records for ticket sales. Many tourists visit Miami and many can`t travel to Orlando because their time in Miami is too short and sometimes the weather in Orlando is too cold (water parks).

I hope Universal or Disney build one in the future.

We had a water park here in the 80s and early 90s and it was shut down after Hurricane Andrew... Six Flags Atlantis...

None of those theme parks will probably never open a park here... Land is too costly and it's too close to Orlando plus the threat of inclement weather is always there...

Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
We had a water park here in the 80s and early 90s and it was shut down after Hurricane Andrew... Six Flags Atlantis...
Was it located off of I-95? I remember going to one, but can't remember where it was, Hollywood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami