Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 20,362 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am single and in my late twenties. I will be moving to Miami this summer for a job relocation. How is it?
It seems that everyone on this forum complains about it. Is it such a bad place to live? Or is it actually a nice place if you are single and laid-back?
Thanks!
PS I don't speak Spanish, but I can learn languages pretty fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM

61 posts, read 285,992 times
I'm not a female but Miami is really a cool place to live. Coming from the upper east coast where life is much faster and people are fake and always running the next Sex in the City movie in their head...it's pretty cool.

I like the attitudes of people in Miami. Most people that complain usually come from other small towns around the US. If they ever lived in Boston, NYC, NJ, or L.A. they would appreciate Miami.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:48 PM

9 posts, read 20,362 times
Thanks! This makes me feel better. I actually grew up in a big city (London), so hopefully I'll like it.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones123 View Post
I'm not a female but Miami is really a cool place to live. Coming from the upper east coast where life is much faster and people are fake and always running the next Sex in the City movie in their head...it's pretty cool.

I like the attitudes of people in Miami. Most people that complain usually come from other small towns around the US. If they ever lived in Boston, NYC, NJ, or L.A. they would appreciate Miami.
Actually I think most of the people who complain are the Miami natives who have watched the city detereorate over the past 30+ years.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Most people that complain usually come from other small towns around the US.
Not true, a native Miamian here who tells it like it is about my deteriorating hometown, so sad.

Miami, is a great place to live for a few years as a single person male or female. Come try it, you can always leave pretty easily as a single person.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Actually I think most of the people who complain are the Miami natives who have watched the city detereorate over the past 30+ years.
Those who think it has deterIorated (spelling!) might complain.
Those that don't think it has deteriorated probably don't complain.

Dragas -- buy a bike, move to SoBe and enjoy. You may love it and never leave, you may hate it and move, you might love your time here and move on.
You have a pretty great shot of enjoying it though.

Good luck!

Last edited by planetsurf; 03-19-2009 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM

61 posts, read 285,992 times
I've also lived in London. You can definitely relate to me when I say Miami is not NYC, Chicago or London which is a good thing.

Again, most people that have lived in Miami all their life just don't know how good they actually have it compared to some of the other major cities.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
IAgain, most people that have lived in Miami all their life just don't know how good they actually have it compared to some of the other major cities.
Actually I know few people that have left Miami to return, to now what to leave again. So it doesn't really matter if some one is a native or not, or if they have lived in 30 different cities or not.

But for single people Miami is a great place to move to for a few years.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Dragas -- buy a bike, move to SoBe and enjoy. You may love it and never leave, you may hate it and move, you might love your time here and move on.

You have a pretty great shot of enjoying it though.

Good luck!
I second this. There are some pretty good rental deals becoming available on South Beach. Watch out for people renting out condos that are in foreclosure, though.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:12 PM

177 posts, read 571,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragas1200 View Post
Or is it actually a nice place if you are single and laid-back?

PS I don't speak Spanish, but I can learn languages pretty fast.
Miami is a single's paradise, there is an event or club happening everyday of the week. As for laid back, it really depends on where you live and how much money u have. When I initially moved to Miami beach in 94 it was really chill and peaceful for most of the summer during non tourist season and even the tourist season was reasonably tolerable. Now a week doesn't go by when there isn't an event or convention drawing hordes of tourists down here raising the frustration level to damn near intolerable for us natives. I've also talked to many long term natives from the 60's and 70's who feel the city has become the toilet of south america. I think that the things that lure people to Miami now are much different than what lured people here way back in the heydey. People come for flash and bling and materialism now, where they used to come for laid-back, inexpensive relaxation. It has evolved into this superficial partyland or something. That in turn changed the type of people that are drawn here, and the entire feel of the area. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami