Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times

Advertisements

Miami vice, I can definitely relate to what you are communicating. I myself am living in Miami for the sake of my kids/family stability, and it really won't be fair to re-root them while they are now in high school and most of their family lives in Miami. However, even they know that I am planning to move out of South Florida when they are in college.

I always try to look at the positive side(s) of situations, but one also has to be realistic. The quality of life in Miami is diminishing. Well that is if you like to be around educated,decent, courteous, well mannered, and polite people. Of course they are many fine people just like I described above, but it seems like you find them less and less every day. Compared to 20 years ago, heck, even 10-15 years ago what you find to a large degree is: - ignorance-lack of civility-hostile and agressive drivers-lack of service(good service) at service oriented establishments.
-Hispanic employees refusing or unable to speak English (by the way, I'm hispanic)
I can go on and on. But I am not.
I believe that for the most part, there is a solutions to problems. I still have a few years to actually find the solution(PLACE TO RELOCATE TOO). So in the mean time, I enjoy the positive aspects of South Florida, but at the same time keep researching and visiting areas of interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 AM

166 posts, read 986,495 times
I really liked South Florida at one time. However, there were certain things that happened, especiall all the hurricanes, that just turned me off.

I have to wait. I don't have a choice. I kept on taking a home/office deduction on my income taxes. If you do that you loose a percentage of your capital gain exemption if you sell within the two year period of the time you took it. I have to wait two years, and not take the home/office deduction, till I can get the full capital gain exemption when I sell my home.

I do have a lot of my good friends here though. They will be missed!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
My main reason besides the weather:

Discrimination is an issue for me. I have been discriminated in the past and it's not a pleasant feeling, maybe a character building experience I think hispanics from Miami are more accepted b/c of their socio-economic status and the color of their skin (many cubans and south americans are white). Sorry, but I think it's a reality.

I also know hispanics that have moved to other places (like Georgia) and have been discriminated because of the color of their skin or their accent.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM

201 posts, read 983,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i am here because...

tech jobs in socal were disappearing. i decided to get to where the techs were less numerous and move cross country and take a tech job while i tried a career transition into some sort of coral reef conservation or tropical agriculture. this is what made me choose miami over the other cities. i REQUIRE a tropical climate to pursue my goals.
didnt count on all the cronyism down here roadblocking me at every turn or the fact that society ran remarkably different down here than in california. i was naive in that sense. also naive in thinking homestead would be an ok place to live since it seemed just as american as anywhere else (because it was snowbird season and the "neighbors" were actually speculators from broward working on their properties)

another reason was because i wanted to start a family w/my gf but the cost of getting a house was insane in california and florida looked reasonable by comparison.

just trying to decide now, broward, orlando or back home to california and later onto hawaii. i cant live in a temperate climate to do what im looking to achieve and to start a new career that provides a stable paycheck. unfortunately im pretty much stuck saving money to move since id have to break them lease to get out of here plus have money to move or wait till march 2008.

its never as easy as "why dont you just move?"

we'd have to move a whole 2 story house of furniture alot of it sentimental inherited stuff plus we dont have a plan right now. we'd both have to get new jobs wherever we'd be moving as well and multiple flights out or drives out to wherever we'd go to find a job and then find a place to live.
honestly i hope miami gets better but it doesnt look like its going to.

i tried SO HARD to get out here. blew through all my savings, slept in florida hostels with homeless people so to keep costs low. drove cross country I-10 all the way across with my girlfriend's car in tow and the cargo area filled with heavy aquarium equipment. hundreds of dollars of coral and fish being kept alive that died in new mexico and texas and were tossed into a dumpster behing a denny's when the power ports stopped working and the water fouled.
this was meant to be a one way trip and ticket to a better life for us.
it turned into anything but.
so maybe you can see why im a little jaded

what my aquarium USED to look like before the move
http://flickr.com/photos/94556645@N0...7600014645687/

Cixel , if you move to Broward stay clear of Pembroke Pines .. it is a pretty area with nice homes and shopping ... although many Latins including many Cubans . It is the only area in Broward County that seems to have a large Cuban community . You should look in Plantation , Coral Springs , Cooper City if you are looking at Western Broward County and Hollywood , Dania and parts of Ft. Lauderdale if you want to be near the beach . Might even want to look in Deerfield Beach or Boca Raton if you do not mind Southern Palm Beach County ... even fewer Hispanics there ... you will be in CIXel heaven !!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
i have no problem with hispanics as long as theyre friendly, polite, hardworking and show no racism towards me. thats really the only thing i DISLIKE about this place is that the people are horrible.
honestly id be bored as hell in anglo-land. i like an ethnic mix. a REAL racial mix not a hispanic monoculture that calls itself a ethnic mix.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 PM

201 posts, read 983,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i have no problem with hispanics as long as theyre friendly, polite, hardworking and show no racism towards me. thats really the only thing i DISLIKE about this place is that the people are horrible.
honestly id be bored as hell in anglo-land. i like an ethnic mix. a REAL racial mix not a hispanic monoculture that calls itself a ethnic mix.

You will have more of a real ethnic mix in Browrd and South Palm Beach County as besides Hispanics , we have more Asians up here than in Miami , also a growing Russian and Romanian population , Brazilians ( not really Hispanics as they speak Portugese and are generally more liberal than Hispanics ) many , many people from the Caribbean Islands i.e. Jamaica , Trinidad , The Bahamas , Haiti and of course a large New York , New Jersey influence in Weston , Parkland and Boca . You will meet super nice people and idiots here just like anywhere else ... most people up here hate Miami as well and avoid heading South unless it is to hit Coral Gables or South Beach

Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM

i gotta say i love the jamaicans and haitians. i will be growing an ackee tree to draw them in. we know a few nice people but they all live in broward or miami beach!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
It's amazing because a friend of mine lived in a house on NW 79st, little Haiti. They were a bit odd, and seemed to like chickens but a lot more friendly than the Cubans. By the way, much of the ackee tree is poisonous, they like to eat the little white arils, not the fruit.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM

356 posts, read 1,269,084 times
I am here because I was born here. I love FLA. I would stay here forever but I now have a son and the house that I bought as a starter home in not the best neighborhood in a great city is where I am stuck.

I dont want to be stuck in this neighborhood to raise my son so we are now moving. I am really sad about it because I love Florida weather and all that there is to do and I love all the different nationalaties here. If it were just us I would stay here. I dont get all this hostility toward Florida at all.

We here is south FLA have a real ethnic mix not just hispanic. On my block we have a packistan family, hatian, black, cuban, and latin (im not sure from where) they are all SUPER nice and we have been invited to all their homes and vice verca. The only one that is rude is the old white lady next door.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 PM

yep know all about the ackee. its the blowfish of the fruit world and tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami