Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 PM

21 posts, read 31,453 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm planning a visit to Mia for a week

The purpose of the trip is to check how much I like the City including- but not only - South Beach and , maybe , move there

On Google the cheapest hotel room for one person is min $70

Is there any small hotel even ouside the South beach area that is cheaper?
(Not looking to share a room with someone like a dormitory)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:51 PM

177 posts, read 571,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullio View Post
Hi
I'm planning a visit to Mia for a week

The purpose of the trip is to check how much I like the City including- but not only - South Beach and , maybe , move there

On Google the cheapest hotel room for one person is min $70

Is there any small hotel even ouside the South beach area that is cheaper?
(Not looking to share a room with someone like a dormitory)

Thanks
The cost of living here is ridiculous, just warning u ahead of time. Also be careful many motels advertise a min. price, but once u get there in person its a different story, plus that price is most likly before surcharges, taxes and other sneaky additions they try to pull a fast one on u. You will have the pleasure of meeting some of the sleaziest most unethical people while down here as well as some really interesting characters, u won't spend alot of time bored i can promise you that, but don't expect many bargains or great deals even in this economy. Just to give you an example, gas anywhere in south beach is always at least .35-.50 more than on the mainland, upside is the bus is only .25 and is a very reliable form of transportation, as long as u stay confined to south beach.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,996 times
Where did you find a room for $70? That's pretty cheap. Is there a room available in a safe place in any urban area for less than that?

You can get a room at the Henry Hotel (at the corner of Washington Ave. and Espanola Way, South Beach) for around $85. As of a few years ago, the rooms were not very beautiful or well-maintained.

You can stay for less at a hostel, but you said you're not interested in that kind of setup. There are also couch surfing Web sites, where you can stay for free with people who sign up.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
. There are also couch surfing Web sites, where you can stay for free with people who sign up.
Isn't couch surfing that new concept where u swap places with someone?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
Isn't couch surfing that new concept where u swap places with someone?
The swap is not a requirement, although if you take someone up on their couch offer, it's nice if you offer up your own couch to the community, if you're able to.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 PM

21 posts, read 31,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
The cost of living here is ridiculous, just warning u ahead of time. Also be careful many motels advertise a min. price, but once u get there in person its a different story, plus that price is most likly before surcharges, taxes and other sneaky additions they try to pull a fast one on u. You will have the pleasure of meeting some of the sleaziest most unethical people while down here as well as some really interesting characters, u won't spend alot of time bored i can promise you that, but don't expect many bargains or great deals even in this economy. Just to give you an example, gas anywhere in south beach is always at least .35-.50 more than on the mainland, upside is the bus is only .25 and is a very reliable form of transportation, as long as u stay confined to south beach.
Are you saying cost of life is high but salaries are 30 to 40% less than NY?

How could that be?

I've heard the hourly pay ex for a job in finance is around 15-to 18$ an hour when here in NY for the same position the pay is 25$;,.....

Is it because of the touristic identity of the city pumps the prices up?

I don't get it: if salaries are low then food and prices of other consimmable item should be lower: how people live and save $$ in Miami?

So then for a relocating person like me - that is not a doctor or a lawyer - I ve to struggle after pay car insurance and gas + other bills?

Is it Miami a place for business owners only?.....

Can you pls explain

Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullio View Post
Is it because of the touristic identity of the city pumps the prices up?
I think that might be a large part of the problem. If you live here long enough you learn to find local spots which are generally cheaper, but usually an inconvenience to get to as in over the bridge and onto the mainland. For example in south beach a haircut is generally 20-25, but cross the bridge onto the mainland/hood and most barbershops charge 10. Same with drinks, in south beach most tourist traps charge between 10-15 for an alcoholic bev., the local spots like purdy lounge are way cheaper. I'm far from an expert on the reasons why, hopefully someone smarter than me can provide an answer.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
You might check out the International Inn on the bay which is on Normandy Island. Just google International Inn Miami and a map will come up. Be sure to call them first to verify prices since they're always changing. You might recognize the hotel from Reno 911 Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: