Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrainon View Post
Where are you moving to doggiebus?
Not sure yet, haven't found the right place. We haven't found that perfect place. We are down to Atlanta and Southern California, they come closest to what we are looking for. Neither are exactly what we want, thats why its taking so long for us to decide. Something is going to have to give. Our main reason for leaving is weather, and they both have better weather than Miami in our opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 10,800 times
Default Miami is hot between May and Sept.

I move in Miami area last year in May. It was hooottt. Since late Sept. the weather began more comfortable. The best weather in Miami is Oct-April

Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM

371 posts, read 814,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami:
Annual inches of precipitation is 60.0 inches
Annual days of precipitation is 129 days
Annual days mostly sunny 248 days

San Diego:
Annual inches of precipitation is 9.0 inches
Annual days of precipitation is 41 days
Annual days mostly sunny 268 days

LA:
Annual inches of precipitation is 12.0 inches
Annual days of precipitation is 35 days
Annual days mostly sunny 258 days

Got it from a book I have, as we are looking at leaving Miami.
In Southern California, the amount of sunshine is also very dependant on how close to the beach you are. Areas next to the coast probably have 30-40 more cloudy days per year than inland areas, and have many more cloudy mornings during the Spring and Summer.

If the LA numbers (above), where taken at LAX next to the beach (weather figures often originate at airports), then it might not be an accurate picture of what things are like in, say, Pasadena or downtown.

Same thing with San Diego, the airport is right on the bay, and the numbers might not accuratly reflect the amount of sunshine in more inland areas.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM

106 posts, read 221,327 times
When it comes to comparing Miami to any city in CA in amount of rain, well there is no comparison. It rains A LOT more Miami. A lot. Even during our "dry season" it is not uncommon to have a whole week of rainy days.

It's funny how many people around the country have a misconception of Miami weather being "fun in the sun" clear days all the time when in fact Miami is very wet. If the stats on this website: United States' Rainiest Cities - Current Results are to be belived. Miami is 2nd amongst all U.S. cities (only behind New Orleans) in amount of rain (inches) per year. And it is 9th amongst all U.S. cities in days where it rains. It looks like Miami is the only city which falls in the top 10 in both of those categories.

To my surprise, Key West is the dryest city in Florida.

Speaking of rain, it's pouring like a mofo right now in West Kendall.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,890,264 times
Heck of a storm we're having. I'm surprised how long it's been going on for.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
Default Miami vs California

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]We do a lot of comparisons between Miami and other places on this site. I’m not sure if this is because people who come here say such introspective things as “This place is soo like Manhattan, except the buildings are shorter and they have palm trees,” or “God, this is like Detroit with a beach.” But somehow, nobody ever wants to give Miami its own feel.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]If there is one place I hear Miami compared to time and time again, it’s California. And I suppose the warm weather, beaches, palm trees and traffic draw some obvious connections. But I have just spent a week in the Golden State, and I have once again been reminded why Florida is not only better, but in a league above California.[/FONT][/LEFT]

Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM

106 posts, read 221,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winereserve1 View Post
[LEFT]We do a lot of comparisons between Miami and other places on this site. I’m not sure if this is because people who come here say such introspective things as “This place is soo like Manhattan, except the buildings are shorter and they have palm trees,” or “God, this is like Detroit with a beach.” But somehow, nobody ever wants to give Miami its own feel.
If there is one place I hear Miami compared to time and time again, it’s California. And I suppose the warm weather, beaches, palm trees and traffic draw some obvious connections. But I have just spent a week in the Golden State, and I have once again been reminded why Florida is not only better, but in a league above California.[/LEFT]
I can see how someone would say Miami is better than a specific city in California but the state of Florida better than the state California? Whaaaaaaaa???? I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

To me, the only thing Florida has that's better than CA is no state income tax and a lower cost of living. California has everything and changes drastically from region to region. Beaches, mountains, the desert, redwood forests, etc. while Florida is pretty much the same from top to bottom. Flat swamps and beaches.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM

199 posts, read 474,499 times
I would add that the water at the beach is much more inviting and beautifully colored than anywhere in California.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,806,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
I would add that the water at the beach is much more inviting and beautifully colored than anywhere in California.
The water is also warmer year round. The ocean isn't as rough and boating, fishing and diving is a lot better. We also have a coral reef and a larger and more diverse variety of marine life.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM

21 posts, read 34,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winereserve1 View Post

If there is one place I hear Miami compared to time and time again, it’s California. And I suppose the warm weather, beaches, palm trees and traffic draw some obvious connections. But I have just spent a week in the Golden State, and I have once again been reminded why Florida is not only better, but in a league above California.
I suppose a lot depends on where you grew up. I have lived in Northern California since 1966 and, believe it or not, I have always missed the summer thunderstorms I grew up with in Norfolk, Virginia and Gulfport, Mississippi. When I came here, I had the vague idea that California was like Florida, but with mountains. Not so. Coastal California is more like a Mediterranean country, with hills and mountains, a mild climate, cool wet winters, and hot dry summers.

The air quality south of Santa Barbara and in the San Francisco Bay area can be poor, especially in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami