Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 15,840 times

Advertisements

How's it going, Citydata.

I am a business owner looking to relocate to Florida from the western coast and have a few questions, I was hoping I could have answered, And a few other things I'd like addressed. Thank you for the help in Advance.

First and foremost..

How bad is the humidity -in all honesty- And what does it primarily affect? The girlfriend likes to style her hair and She'd like to know what it's going to do to it, For example if she could never 'Fluff it' Again.

What neighborhoods should be avoided? I personally was looking at Coconut Grove.

Any other insight is welcome and appreciated. I restore vehicles for a living, By the way.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpCocktail View Post
How's it going, Citydata.

I am a business owner looking to relocate to Florida from the western coast and have a few questions, I was hoping I could have answered, And a few other things I'd like addressed. Thank you for the help in Advance.

First and foremost..

How bad is the humidity -in all honesty- And what does it primarily affect? The girlfriend likes to style her hair and She'd like to know what it's going to do to it, For example if she could never 'Fluff it' Again.

What neighborhoods should be avoided? I personally was looking at Coconut Grove.

Any other insight is welcome and appreciated. I restore vehicles for a living, By the way.

Thanks!
It is pretty bad but I think people get used to it. I am not sure what you man by what it primarily affects? Its just water in the air. Makes it feel warmer. Can't help you with the hair

There are plenty of neighborhoods to avoid but also plenty to look into. It is all about price range what you want out of your neighborhood. There are some great parts of Coconut Grove one of the better areas of the city, there are also some not so great parts of the Grove. You really need to give us address so we can give you advice or what you want from your nieghborhood/what you are looking for and your price range.

Personally an easy view to follow for the city of Miami. (Miami city limits) is if you are North of Downtown you want to be east of US-1/Biscayne Blvd for the most part. In Downtown/Brickell East of I-95. But there are plenty of good neighborhoods to chose from.

If you are looking for condo/apartment in the Grove I also suggest you look into Downtown, Brickell, Miami Beach south of 24th street, Downtown South Miami, and Midtown Miami. For houses it a completely different ball game. There are some fantastic homes in Coconut Grove some of the nicest in Miami.

I just read you restore cars: I do know humidity and salt water in the air wont be good for that, I know there is a reason airlines move their planes out west to keep them in storage. But with a garage I am sure it wont be a major problem. I also now assume you are looking for a house with a garage? So price range is really needed to help out with house neighborhoods.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is pretty bad but I think people get used to it. I am not sure what you man by what it primarily affects? Its just water in the air. Makes it feel warmer. Can't help you with the hair

There are plenty of neighborhoods to avoid but also plenty to look into. It is all about price range what you want out of your neighborhood. There are some great parts of Coconut Grove one of the better areas of the city, there are also some not so great parts of the Grove. You really need to give us address so we can give you advice or what you want from your nieghborhood/what you are looking for and your price range.

Personally an easy view to follow for the city of Miami. (Miami city limits) is if you are North of Downtown you want to be east of US-1/Biscayne Blvd for the most part. In Downtown/Brickell East of I-95. But there are plenty of good neighborhoods to chose from.

If you are looking for condo/apartment in the Grove I also suggest you look into Downtown, Brickell, Miami Beach south of 24th street, Downtown South Miami, and Midtown Miami. For houses it a completely different ball game. There are some fantastic homes in Coconut Grove some of the nicest in Miami.

I just read you restore cars: I do know humidity and salt water in the air wont be good for that, I know there is a reason airlines move their planes out west to keep them in storage. But with a garage I am sure it wont be a major problem. I also now assume you are looking for a house with a garage? So price range is really needed to help out with house neighborhoods.
Well I've never dealt with humidity much, Wondering if it could cause Wood to swell, or leather to deteriorate. Price range to rent per month I'd go up to 3,000 for something with a garage, To buy I do not have a figure on yet. As for salty and rust, Is it minnesota type rust, or only to vehicles that aren't properly cared for?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Well I've never dealt with humidity much, Wondering if it could cause Wood to swell, or leather to deteriorate. Price range to rent per month I'd go up to 3,000 for something with a garage, To buy I do not have a figure on yet. As for salty and rust, Is it minnesota type rust, or only to vehicles that aren't properly cared for?

Thanks
I live right on the Bay, the older cars, a 2002 G500, and a 1958 Triumph TR3 which is kept in the Garage do fine with some decent care. I have found rust on both a few times but quickly took care of it.

As for wood to swell or anything like that, I really do not think so but I have always dealt with humidity.

I really do not know much about housing rental prices. Maybe someone else knows better. Another nieghborhood I would suggest looking at other than Coconut Grove is Miami Shores. Again some areas like the Grove and Miami Shores have some spotty not so great areas so double check addresses here, street numbers etc.. here.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I live right on the Bay, the older cars, a 2002 G500, and a 1958 Triumph TR3 which is kept in the Garage do fine with some decent care. I have found rust on both a few times but quickly took care of it.

As for wood to swell or anything like that, I really do not think so but I have always dealt with humidity.

I really do not know much about housing rental prices. Maybe someone else knows better. Another nieghborhood I would suggest looking at other than Coconut Grove is Miami Shores. Again some areas like the Grove and Miami Shores have some spotty not so great areas so double check addresses here, street numbers etc.. here.
Nice cars, I need to get myself a G-Wagon one of these days.

Would the vehicles do better say more inland?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
FlyMIA, I have always had a love for british cars. Being a 58 is it a small mouth or a wide mouth? How reliable has the TR3 been? I know that british cars can be temperamental, and suffer from oil leaks and electrical problems.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Nice cars, I need to get myself a G-Wagon one of these days.

Would the vehicles do better say more inland?
I have always been near the water, I would imagine it would do better but again just some decent care and they have been fine. The G Class is awesome.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 04-25-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I have always been near the water, I would imagine it would do better but again just some decent care and they have been fine. The G Class is awesome.
Fine by me, I baby a lot of my cars. It'd be great to live by the water! Any issues with Hurricanes/Ocean tides coming in?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Fine by me, I baby a lot of my cars. It'd be great to live by the water! Any issues with Hurricanes/Ocean tides coming in?
That depends how close to the water you are and just luck really. I have never had problems living right on the bay. At the same time Miami has not had a direct hit from a major hurricane in a while (knock one wood) Miami is not that flood prone but if you are close to the coast you could get some water coming into the garage or something like that. Some neighborhoods have great drains for the storm waters some don't. Houses never are under 10 feet of water or anything like that but 1 foot of water can be pretty bad.

That is something to ask the land lord about it can be very dependant on the neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Hello, Me again!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any suburbs by the water in or near Miami? Being close to the water is important to us after living in The Desert for 2 years back in 2008. I'm very excited to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami