Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,541 times

Advertisements

Use sunblock. ......seriously...use it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrainon View Post
Yea right about the tint i just never came around to doing that,but thing is this all started when i first moved out to miami,god,you can get a sun tan and sun burn just sitting in a car,its insane,i dont know how some of you put up with this heat,or say your used to it,i just like the night life here
It's like we don't know how you get used to the cold. To each it's own. Word of advice when you go to the beach put sunblock everywhere. Because where you don't the sun will find and you will burn.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 AM

16 posts, read 56,978 times
So do you guys actually use sunblock everysingle day of your life?cuz in miami you can get a sun tan just sitting in the car,and its not that i got use to the cold,its that i just deal with it,its not like its alaska you know,as a matter of fact i been told by family and friends that philadelphia had virutual no type of real winter,and long summers,so its mostly places like upstate nyc and as you see north dakota,that get super cold,once ina while in philly,even though,philly,nj and nyc kinda share the same weather

Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
I have lived here my whole entire life. Let's just say air conditioning is my best friend.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
Quote:
So do you guys actually use sunblock everysingle day of your life?cuz in miami you can get a sun tan just sitting in the car,and its not that i got use to the cold,its that i just deal with it,its not like its alaska you know,as a matter of fact i been told by family and friends that philadelphia had virutual no type of real winter,and long summers,so its mostly places like upstate nyc and as you see north dakota,that get super cold,once ina while in philly,even though,philly,nj and nyc kinda share the same weather
Just you compare it to Alaska doesn't make it any hotter in Philly. My friends from Allentown and he says it's averaged 20 degrees during most of the winter. Averaging below freezing compared to only being 30 a handful of days and only in the mourning is a change. Floridians don't wear sunblock all the time because we're used to it.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
So do you guys actually use sunblock everysingle day of your life?
Technically, everyone should wear sunscreen every day, at least spf 15, even if you are just going to work and coming home without spending a lot of time in the sun.

My mom is a lifelong Miamian (thusfar) and had some skin cancer removed from her face a few years ago. When she was growing up they used oil to actually get darker tans, no one even thought about sunscreen. Since the discovery of the skin cancer, her doctor told her to apply sunscreen everyday, including under her clothes, in order to avoid further problems.

Having grown up in Miami also, I fear that I unknowingly set myself up to get skin cancer as well. I can't remember how many sunburns I had as a kid, especially since I spent nearly every waking hour of the summers at the pool or beach. Sunscreen was not a big deal until I was in my mid-teens, so damage had already been done. Unfortunately, sun damage usually takes many years before you are aware of it. Now I am sure to apply sunscreen to my face every single day, and I apply it when I go outside to exercise. I am no longer interested in "tanning" because it causes wrinkles and I really don't want to add to my skin cancer risk, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
Floridians don't wear sunblock all the time because we're used to it.
You skin never gets "used to" the harmful exposure to the sun, unless by "used to it" you mean becoming leathery and wrinkled as you get older. And just because someone has a tan or darker skin does not keep them safe from the sun, either.

However, I never drove with a towel over my arm! I did have legal tint on my windows when I lived in Miami, and most newer cars now also have a UV tint from the factory. My current car does not have aftermarket tint, and I have never gotten a driver's tan (then again, I don't rest my left arm on the door because I steer with it - I drive a stick shift).

Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Technically, everyone should wear sunscreen every day, at least spf 15, even if you are just going to work and coming home without spending a lot of time in the sun.

My mom....
My father had the same experience as your mom, and his dermatologist said what you said.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,541 times
It is a fact that you only need one good burn as a kid to set yourself up for developing skin cancer later in life.

That is why it is so important to use sunscreen and to to be vigilant about checking your skin, especially for changing moles.

People should really wear a hat when outside, especially baldies

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
I know this is a funny question,but i wanted to know,cuz im originally from philadelphia,and been going back and forth since 05 to miami and philly,for school,and i just hate seeing my one driving arm dark ass hell,looking all mismatch lol,so i drive with a towel over my arm,im curious to know if anyone else does this
Best post ever.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 AM

177 posts, read 571,141 times
I've had the darkest tint allowed by law, which i beleive is 28% on everycar Ive owned in Florida. Also remeber not all tints are created equal, the beter brands tend to be a lot more expensive, but the fact that I drive almost 2-3 hours a day and both my arms are the same shade means its been a good investment, plus the ac always feels a whole lot cooler behind tints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami