Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved here from Chicago and have not regretted it for one minute. The weather is near perfect six months out of the year, and the lifestyle really suits us. Lots of cons too, but you can read about them in almost every thread.

We both came down with jobs lined up and honestly I cannot fathom how it would have been possible to survive on one income alone. Morever, we came when jobs were pretty easy to get, and I found a better job within a year of moving here. However, almost a year ago my wife was laid off due to downsizing of her firm, and it took nearly a year to find work in the same industry with more responsiblity and a huge (I mean huge) pay cut. It has not been easy. I know a few other people who lost jobs and are not doing so well with their job hunt. It's tough down here right now. Healthcare is probably the only industry that's hiring right now.

Living on $65K in Miami might be possible if you have no debt. If you have debt (student loans, car loans, credit card payments, etc.), I suggest you weather out the economic storm and come down when conditions are better. It really is expensive living here. We felt our money went a lot further in Chicago than it does here.

Having said that - if you have family that can take you back if things don't work out for you in MIA, have little debt, and nothing to lose - why not risk it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM

18 posts, read 62,048 times
Jeff,

Thanks for the quality advice. We have definitely discussed the issue of using the relocation money to buy the ring. Both of us have concerns about that being the wrong way to go about things.

I'd say one of the primary issues is that both of us love Chicago. (He's from Naperville) We would ideally like to see him just get a job up here. Unfortunately, the market is bad and he is limited in his abilities to network up here because he's got a job in Louisville.

Part of the thinking/planning process for me is soliciting advice from forums like this. It really helps to see my thoughts in writing and to see others' thoughts in writing.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM

18 posts, read 62,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
My wife and I moved here from Chicago and have not regretted it for one minute. The weather is near perfect six months out of the year, and the lifestyle really suits us. Lots of cons too, but you can read about them in almost every thread.

We both came down with jobs lined up and honestly I cannot fathom how it would have been possible to survive on one income alone. Morever, we came when jobs were pretty easy to get, and I found a better job within a year of moving here. However, almost a year ago my wife was laid off due to downsizing of her firm, and it took nearly a year to find work in the same industry with more responsiblity and a huge (I mean huge) pay cut. It has not been easy. I know a few other people who lost jobs and are not doing so well with their job hunt. It's tough down here right now. Healthcare is probably the only industry that's hiring right now.

Living on $65K in Miami might be possible if you have no debt. If you have debt (student loans, car loans, credit card payments, etc.), I suggest you weather out the economic storm and come down when conditions are better. It really is expensive living here. We felt our money went a lot further in Chicago than it does here.

Having said that - if you have family that can take you back if things don't work out for you in MIA, have little debt, and nothing to lose - why not risk it?
Yes, we have debt. Car payment, credit cards (not too excessive), and student loans. This isn't the first time that I've heard that Miami is really expensive, but it is the first time I've heard that Chi-town is more affordable. That could be a major issue.

Moving back if we don't like it or it doesn't work out is also a concern of mine because it's very expensive to undertake such a move, and I worry about our ability to save up a "move back fund" if cost of living in Miami is too expensive.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 PM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddified View Post
Yes, we have debt. Car payment, credit cards (not too excessive), and student loans. This isn't the first time that I've heard that Miami is really expensive, but it is the first time I've heard that Chi-town is more affordable. That could be a major issue.

Moving back if we don't like it or it doesn't work out is also a concern of mine because it's very expensive to undertake such a move, and I worry about our ability to save up a "move back fund" if cost of living in Miami is too expensive.
Your concerns are valid. I suggest waiting out the storm and coming down when things are rosier.

I think money goes further in Chicago because you have good, cheap public transportation (I really miss the 'el') and lower housing costs overall. Not only will property taxes and home insurance in So Flo eat you alive, but many residential areas, whether condo or SFH, have association fees that drive up the cost of living here. It is pretty rare to see association fees in Chicago for single family homes. Moreover, what's left of your disposable income after housing costs goes to gasoline and more expensive car insurance (ours nearly tripled when we moved here). Entertainment costs, food, etc., are about the same as in Chicago, but the housing and transportation is why it's tougher in Miami.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 AM

22 posts, read 57,545 times
FYI,

when you move to any area, i wouldnt change my car ins,
why?
insurers dont know u moved!!

if u pay online, hell, i travel alot for work, and lived in other areas for yrs,
still keeping SC rates,

thought u people would know this!!

Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 AM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast360 View Post
FYI,

why?

if u pay online, hell, i travel alot for work, and lived in other areas for yrs,
still keeping SC rates,

I agree, I tried the honest way and my car insurance trippled.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:26 AM

343 posts, read 1,045,672 times
Why is the ring OMGSOIMPORTANT? You don't have to have a ring to be engaged, just like you don't have to really "get engaged." If you and he are great together, leave it at that, and get the ring when you're settled. It sounds like to me you've got your mind set on your "precious" and that's driving your anxiety. Use the "relocation" money to "relocate."

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM

168 posts, read 614,584 times
Oh c'mon...you can survive on 65K just about anywhere (except maybe San Francisco or Manhattan)....UNLESS you are about 100K or more in the hole for credit cards/student loans. Then, yea....moving probably isn't the smartest thing.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 27,292 times
Beast, just wondering - how do you avoid having insurers find out you moved if you change your mailing address to your new residence?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:59 PM

177 posts, read 570,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast360 View Post
FYI,

why?

still keeping SC rates,

You mean even when u change license and register your car every year they still assume u live in the previous city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: