Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 AM

18 posts, read 125,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
"How would Cali help me being an aspiring Pastry Chef when everyone is so body/health concious?"

i knew WAYY more pastry chefs personally in LA than i have in miami. 3 come to mind immediately. people here dont have hobbies and certainly dont turn hobbies into careers the way they do in california.
i dont know a single pastry chef here. not only that but theres a demand for it 5 hours away from los angeles in vegas. so if you dont have enough demand for pastries in LA (very VERY unlikely) you can always do stuff on the weekends in vegas. here youd have to specialize in cuban or other latin ethnic pastries because thats all theyre interested in.
despite LA being body and health conscious there is TONS of junkfood and yummies consumed. there are simply so many people you have it all.
btw are you sick of eating pastries like my friends who were pastry chefs were in LA?
Sometimes I bake so many cakes, pies, etc... that I never need to have any just from staring at them all day.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:31 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,161 times
Default from AL to MIA

If you like big cities, you will love Miami. There are a few posters here that will try and scare you into not coming but take everything with a grain of salt.
Yes Miami has its problems, but so does every city and Miami is growing everyday. There is a lot of opportunity here. Don't be discouraged.
Yes, property prices are high but that again depends on where you live and what lifestyle you choose.
Welcome to the Miami board.
If you want the real scoop, I suggest you also ask Elfyum, vpcats and beanblossom, the Miami truth trinity.
They are reliable and will give you the truth.
Btw, I find Miami to be an exciting city, vibrant and lots to do---
If you are young, single, you will enjoy here.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM

152 posts, read 572,258 times
If you don't speak spanish you will have a hard time here!! This is the sheer truth!! The hospitality business here is florish, but they pay crap! You better off to some other big city...avoid Miami, you will be poor and miserable!!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
If you want the real scoop, I suggest you also ask Elfyum, vpcats and beanblossom, the Miami truth trinity.
Yeah right!!!
Ask them and you will spend the next few years hating yourself because you listened to the worng advices!!! They live in a world that doesn't exist!!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
If you don't speak spanish you will have a hard time here!! This is the sheer truth!! The hospitality business here is florish, but they pay crap! You better off to some other big city...avoid Miami, you will be poor and miserable!!
If you are a pastry chef, I dont think spanish is an immediate necessity. You will learn on the fly here.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
If you are a pastry chef, I dont think spanish is an immediate necessity. You will learn on the fly here.
You see what I'm saying?? People here EXPECT YOU TO LEARN SPANISH!! If you don't you will be experience racism towards you. Believe you me, if you don't know spanish you will have a really hard time even going to the supermarket!!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Default "worng advices"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Yeah right!!!
Ask them and you will spend the next few years hating yourself because you listened to the worng advices!!! They live in a world that doesn't exist!!
I dont think 100's of thousands of people living in Miami are "worng"
This is just my opinion, I could be "worng"
My "advices" to you is come and look for yourself, you may just love it here as I have, I consider Miami my home even as I plan to move there.
Most latin people I know are friendly and loving. Of course there are exceptions, shades of gray, there is seldom things that are black and white.
And of course your attitude will also matter, but that is true where ever you go.
Again, don't be discouraged by the few negative posters here, they have made it their life mission to scare people away, unfortunately, they have also scared most of the more sensible people on this forum as well.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Btw, I find Miami to be an exciting city, vibrant and lots to do---
If you are young, single, you will enjoy here.
You know even if the poster visits Miami, they will not truely experience Miami like someone that lives here. I wouldn't agree that the posters you listed above will give the "reliable...truth" they will give a rose-colored glasses truth about Miami, lets just say. When I move, I hope that people would tell me the good and the bad about the city we chose to move too, not just the good things. To the original poster these posters really aren't giving you the truth about Miami. I will be the first native Miamian that will say I wishes Miami was truely like these 4 posters say it is. But it isn't soo. As for your last sentence, I am making it my mission to tell the TRUTH, with out rose colored glasses. I have to agree that on an individual basis, there are some nice people here, and yes every city has their bad apples.

So as a young person with bad credit moving to Miami, I can't answer that question, sorry. I wish I hadn't moved back to Miami after college, my sister is leaving for NYC in the next month and I not much older than yourself. If you want to move to south Florida, have you thought about Palm Beach? There are many nice hotels that I am sure need pastry chefs.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-28-2007 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You know even if the poster visits Miami, they will not truely experience Miami like someone that lives here. I wouldn't agree that the posters you listed above will give the "reliable...truth" they will give a rose-colored glasses truth about Miami, lets just say. When I move, I hope that people would tell me the good and the bad about the city, not just the good. To the original poster these posters really aren't giving you the truth about Miami. I will be the first native Miamian that will say I wishes Miami was truely like these 4 posters say it is. But it isn't soo. As for your last sentence, I am making it my mission to tell the TRUTH, with out rose colored glasses. I have to agree that on an individual basis, there are some nice people here, and yes every city has their bad apples.
As I said before, there are shades of gray.
Each person is different and has marches to the tune of a different drummer.
There are city persons, farmers, bohemians, workaholics etc and each have their priorities, likes and dislikes.
Miami is not for everyone, I am the first to say but I know what it is, having done my homework and checked things out, it is definitely for me, even if I have to bring along a spare pair of rose colored glasses :-)

Old 03-28-2007, 10:53 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
You say that you are a baker - are you a true bakery chef whereby you gotyour training from a well known school, etc.? Bakery chefs in the leading hotels and restaurants do well but have also had the formal training from a known school to back them up.

Take what you read here with a big pinch of salt. Since you say that your credit is so bad it would be in your best interest to work on that FIRST before making any major moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami