Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 04:02 PM

29 posts, read 82,911 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved BACK to L.A. from Miami. Miami, w/ the exception of a couple years on Southbeach because the beaches are waaaay beautiful, has nothing to offer. Nothing. You'll reminisce hardcore on everything California has once you're there and wondering what you and the family could do 'different' on the weekend, other than go to the beach. AND - yes, Cuban culture dominates, and in my personal opinion (as well as many Cubans), is totally racist

Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Sec Flat View Post
The only hope for this city is a Cat 5 hurricane.
There is no hope for this city, period. It's got worse, even in the few years that I've existed here.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 PM

292 posts, read 956,439 times
Dont do it- refer to the 350 other postings on here listing the horrbile things that people will do and say to each other here. Try The other coast- Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa etc. You will not be happy here.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
The OP will never be happy here because she never came back. This was a troll post to get everybody all geared up and bent out of shape. And boy were there big bites.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM

177 posts, read 571,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
The OP will never be happy here because she never came back. This was a troll post to get everybody all geared up and bent out of shape. And boy were there big bites.
The moderator should make this a sticky in case someone else ask a similar question, because as fun as it was, I never want to go thru that again. It's a fun read from beginning to end, but somewhere down the line the post took a life of its own and people went off in all kinds of directions. If anyones never been to Miami, all they have to do is read this whole post and the real Miami will rear its ugly head. But in the end, love it or hate it, theres no denying this place we call home is one unique place I'm glad I had the pleasure of experiencing in my lifetime.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:16 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
The moderator should make this a sticky in case someone else ask a similar question, because as fun as it was, I never want to go thru that again. It's a fun read from beginning to end, but somewhere down the line the post took a life of its own and people went off in all kinds of directions. If anyones never been to Miami, all they have to do is read this whole post and the real Miami will rear its ugly head. But in the end, love it or hate it, theres no denying this place we call home is one unique place I'm glad I had the pleasure of experiencing in my lifetime.
Amen, (although for me, 10 months ) but hey, Miami feels more home than Michigan.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
Default same situation

am in very similar situation. I have two kids age 4 and 3 months. We have been having this same debate for quite some time. I am also VERY liberal, my daughter goes to a progressive school, and I love all the liberal qualities that LA has to offer. My husband is also cuban. I find the cuban culture as a whole to be very conservative and not all the welcoming of "gringas" don't get me wrong my husbands family is great, but I have also talked to a lot of other wives there, who are not latin and it seems like they really struggle to fit in. Also, I find, no offense to anyone, that the people are very different from LA, and if you are used to a certain vibe in LA, it can be a big shock. As for progressive schools, there is a montessorri (not my favorite), a waldorf, and a few expensive but traditional private schools. So being in the same boat as you, I am often tempted to make the move, but having lived there for summers, I know I would be miserable. I am so californian at this point it would be culture shock.
I also find it annoying that people expect you to speak spanish and if you don't they appear annoyed. Anyway, seeing as you see similar to me, I am torn, but I just don't think I can do it. I think I would be miserable. I think I would rather hire a babysitter.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindsla View Post
am in very similar situation. I have two kids age 4 and 3 months. We have been having this same debate for quite some time. I am also VERY liberal, my daughter goes to a progressive school, and I love all the liberal qualities that LA has to offer. My husband is also cuban. I find the cuban culture as a whole to be very conservative and not all the welcoming of "gringas" don't get me wrong my husbands family is great, but I have also talked to a lot of other wives there, who are not latin and it seems like they really struggle to fit in. Also, I find, no offense to anyone, that the people are very different from LA, and if you are used to a certain vibe in LA, it can be a big shock. As for progressive schools, there is a montessorri (not my favorite), a waldorf, and a few expensive but traditional private schools. So being in the same boat as you, I am often tempted to make the move, but having lived there for summers, I know I would be miserable. I am so californian at this point it would be culture shock.
I also find it annoying that people expect you to speak spanish and if you don't they appear annoyed. Anyway, seeing as you see similar to me, I am torn, but I just don't think I can do it. I think I would be miserable. I think I would rather hire a babysitter.
I've found the same problem here. I wouldn't call myself particularly liberal, but I'm not conservative either. Miami is probably 50/50, although even those who have voted Democrat in the past are not the most progressive people I've met either. LA is a lot more liberal and progressive than Miami (so is California in general). Generally speaking, in more progressive states, more money is pumped into things like education, infrastructure and mass transit.

Bottom line is that I like to strike up conversations about politics, but I've found it particularly hard here because either 1) most people are ignorant, 2) most people just want to ram their views down your throat without listening to your point of view, 3) people vote based on silly issues (such as Elian Gonzales, or believing that Obama is Castro) or 4) most people just don't care about anything but living in their own "bubbles" (this is mostly the case).

I've lived here for over 5 years and have never felt welcome. I initially tried to make the effort with people, but I gave up after a while when I realized that most people here are on a completely different wavelength, for the most part, or they'll just take advantage of you. I even gave up holding doors open for people after a while, because I got tired of being breezed past, as if I was some sort of unpaid doorman.

Yes, the Spanish thing is annoying, particularly when it comes to having to call your doctor's office, or when dealing with people at stores, restaurants, or in the workplace. I don't care what language people use in their own homes, or around their circle of friends, but I'm tired of the "cold" treatment, just because I don't speak Spanish. I was tempted to learn Spanish for a while, but why bother? It's not as if it'll improve my quality of life here, nor will I make friends that way.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
At the same time, I fear that I will greatly miss simple things like a driver letting you merge into traffic and being generous to other drivers in turn, greeting people as I pass by or having light conversations with perfect strangers in the grocery line, or simply waving to residents when driving through their neighborhood. I fear I will miss that a lot.
Drama!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM

292 posts, read 956,439 times
Dont move to Miami. Check the 3500 other postings with the same advice. Also- check the cost of living- and the fact that were on every top 5 worst list. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami