Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times

Advertisements

+ 1

Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times

Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 AM

X infinite

Beat that!!! XD

Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times
times zero

Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Divided by 0 ^____*

Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 AM

17 posts, read 53,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlow View Post
Wow. This thread is truly scaring me! I'm seriously contemplating moving to Miami from Los Angeles with my husband and one-year-old daughter to be closer to his wonderful family. We literally have no family here and I see how that absence diminishes the love my little girl knows. But these threads about MI-ami and high crime/low graduation rates are really starting to give me second thoughts. On my trips to visit family, I've definitely noticed a general lack of consideration for others. I mean, who answers a phone (OR TRANSLATES AN ENTIRE FILM) in a packed movie theater?! And then gets huffy when I suggest they act like considerate human beings! I'm starting to worry that this general lack of politeness is truly pervasive. Will my daughter, regardless of what school we place her in, be slammed up against a tide of selfish, self-absorbed kids? My husband and his family are Cuban and I truly love Latin culture, (you know there's a but coming) BUT I am also a little concerned with a strange hyper sexuality I think I've witnessed amongst many young Latin women there. Is there anything to that? Will my five year old be begging me for short skirts and lip gloss? Also, will I find anyone like me there? I'm white, protestant(ish), got a couple of relatively useless MAs from Berkeley, progressive, don't speak Spanish... yeah, it sucks to make yourself a stereotype, but there we have it. Also, are there any progressive schools in Miami ala San Francisco? Schools that have core values that focus on altruism, stewardship, the intellect over worrying about what others think about you? Am I going to be miserable there, people? Help...
DO NOT COME SEEKING THE ALTRUISTIC LIFE UNLESS YOU ARE ZEN BUDDHIST! THESE ARE BURNED PUPPIES OF A DECAYING MATERIALISTIC AND SELF-CENTERED GRUG CULTURE. TAKE AWAY THE MONEY AND JOBS-AND THESE FOLKS CANNOT COPE! THEY ARE THEIR LIFESTYLE-NOT THEMSELVES. THE LATIN GIRLS ARE HOT, AND SHOW OFF THE ASSETS-YES! THE WOMEN HAVE FOLLOWED THEIR "MACHISMO" MALE COUNTERPARTS-WHICH IS NOT WISE IN A CULTURE FILLED WITH STD'S-SOME DEADLY! THERE ARE MANY COUPLES WHO ARE FAITHFUL-NOTWITHSTANDING MY CULTURAL ASSESSED BIAS-I ONLY CAN TELL TWO CANDID TALES OF X-RATED FOOLISHNESS IN MY LIFE. THE FIRST WAS A PLAYBOY BUNNY BLOND LIVING AT MY APARTMENT COMPLEX THAT THE COPS USED AS A LURE DECOY TO ENSNARE ME-AND SHE GOT REAL MAD WHEN I POLITELY TOLD HER OFF. SHE WAS DELICIOUS AND DROP-DEAD SEDUCTIVE, I WAS WELL INFORMED AND PARANOID-WITH GOOD CAUSE! THE OTHER GAL WAS A HONDURAN HOUSEKEEPER AT MY GIRLFRIEND'S HOUSE-WHO WENT BALLISTIC AND PSYCHO-DANGEROUS WHEN SHE COULDN'T DEAL WITH NOT GETTING SEDUCTION GRATIFICATION. YEH-IT IS YOUR CHOICE-YOU CAN SAY "NO"! BUT THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES WITH GALS WHO CAN'T DEAL WITH REJECTION ( HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE THAT OF A WOMAN SCORNED...!)THE CUBANS LIVING IN MIAMI MADE A LOT OF ENDS MEET WITH DRUG DEALS TO MAINTAIN THE ILLUSION OF "THE GOOD LIFE" I WAS NEAR ENOUGH TO THE MOB AND SHAKERS TO TELL YOU-MIAMI WAS PREDOMINATED IN AREAS THAT WERE UPPER CLASS, BY CLANNISH MATERIALISM AND TACIT DRUG FUELED IMMORALITY. I WAS A GUARD-VERY EDUCATED, AND VERY WARY OF THE FOOLS I WAS WORKING FOR-I KEEP THE MACHINE0GUN UNDER THE PILLOW. YOU KNOW I KNOW"THE SKINNY"! I SAW POLICE CHIEFS IN THE COMPANY OF DRUG LORDS AND SMUGGLERS-AND SO MUCH DANGEROUS CRAP;IT WOULD HAVE MADE CROCKETT AND TUBBS FROM MIAMI VICE DAYS RUN! ASK ME-I WON'T LIE. IN THESE RECESSIONARY TIMES, THE SCHOOLS-BOTH PRIVATE AND PUBLIC-ARE DANGEROUS AND DYING ACADEMICALLY.THERE ARE VERY DISHEARTENED AND DEPRESSED FOLKS CLIMBING OUT OF THEIR DRUG-SHELLED ILLUSIONIST LIVES-SO STICK TO YOUR CHURCH ACTIVITIES FOR WHOLESOME LIFESTYLES.( ADVICE FROM A STETSON UNIVERSITY GRADUATE-1976 )I SUPPOSE YOU CAN FIND CULTURAL LINKAGE WITH THE CUBAN ENCLAVE-BUT THEIR VALUES HAVE MORPHED DRASTICALLY FROM THE OLD MIAMI DAYS-THE FAT DINED AT AN EASY CULTURAL TROUGH THAT SLOWLY POISONS. TRUST MY ASSESSMENT-I WAS A PHILOSOPHY MAJOR-AND THINGS GOT VERY UNPLEASANT WORKING SECURITY FOR 30 TEARS! I had "THE FRANK SERPICO" EXPERIENCE-THESE PEOPLE BETRAY-AND WHEN THEY BETRAY-IT IS BECAUSE THEY ARE DIRTY. WHEN YOU GO AFTER THESE BAD GUYS, YOU ARE FEARED AS DANGEROUS---A NO WIN SITUATION. JUST ANECDOTAL PRESENTATION TO MAKE MY OPINION POINT. YOU COME-YOU JUDGE-IT CAN BE ROUGH IN THESE TIMES OF STRESS.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 AM

17 posts, read 53,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlow View Post
wow. This thread is truly scaring me! I'm seriously contemplating moving to miami from los angeles with my husband and one-year-old daughter to be closer to his wonderful family. We literally have no family here and i see how that absence diminishes the love my little girl knows. But these threads about mi-ami and high crime/low graduation rates are really starting to give me second thoughts. On my trips to visit family, i've definitely noticed a general lack of consideration for others. I mean, who answers a phone (or translates an entire film) in a packed movie theater?! And then gets huffy when i suggest they act like considerate human beings! I'm starting to worry that this general lack of politeness is truly pervasive. Will my daughter, regardless of what school we place her in, be slammed up against a tide of selfish, self-absorbed kids? My husband and his family are cuban and i truly love latin culture, (you know there's a but coming) but i am also a little concerned with a strange hyper sexuality i think i've witnessed amongst many young latin women there. Is there anything to that? Will my five year old be begging me for short skirts and lip gloss? Also, will i find anyone like me there? I'm white, protestant(ish), got a couple of relatively useless mas from berkeley, progressive, don't speak spanish... Yeah, it sucks to make yourself a stereotype, but there we have it. Also, are there any progressive schools in miami ala san francisco? Schools that have core values that focus on altruism, stewardship, the intellect over worrying about what others think about you? Am i going to be miserable there, people? Help...
also-remember that the university i graduated was ultra southern baptist-my upbringing was liberal judaism. This miami culture today is way beyond the pale of coping with any of the cultural tools my parents raised me with-they were fine and caring folks. I paid a mental price for saying "n-o:-and i said it often, and got kicked out of jobs after serving many years. My morality needed implicit threats of show-of-force, because these folks don't understand that they cross your moral values-and we folks aren't gonna change for nothing! Your values are yours-and me, or nobody, has a right to jerk your core concepts around. This being said, please know that this roughness you detect in my diatribe is because i faced the roughest work to walk the straight-and-narrow line. Be well-think on it.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:49 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJESTICRAND View Post
do not come seeking the altruistic life ...( advice from a stetson university graduate-1976 )
Yup. That's an authentic Miami tale if I ever heard one. Whoo-hoo! Bravisimo! True life stories from the city that's never boring.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 AM

187 posts, read 196,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJESTICRAND View Post
also-remember that the university i graduated was ultra southern baptist-my upbringing was liberal judaism. This miami culture today is way beyond the pale of coping with any of the cultural tools my parents raised me with-they were fine and caring folks. I paid a mental price for saying "n-o:-and i said it often, and got kicked out of jobs after serving many years. My morality needed implicit threats of show-of-force, because these folks don't understand that they cross your moral values-and we folks aren't gonna change for nothing! Your values are yours-and me, or nobody, has a right to jerk your core concepts around. This being said, please know that this roughness you detect in my diatribe is because i faced the roughest work to walk the straight-and-narrow line. Be well-think on it.
Enjoyed your posts re clarity in experience. Sometimes its tough to do.

Can You comment on the following...?

I was looking at some pricey spots on Beach Road in Hollywood , just a
little distance from you in Miami. (if your still there)

The agent suggested that, as far as Miami reality goes, he has no clue simply because he "refuses" to go down there. ( seemed disgusted as yourself)

I checked on line to attempt to try and verify some of his thoughts , regarding "Hollywood Florida's" efforts to enhance a family orientated corridor. Looks like there is a defined interest here.

Is Hollywood Florida worth a look at ? its not far from Miami and appears to have a calmer atmosphere.

Thanks if you see this and have a nice day

Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 AM

187 posts, read 196,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Yup. That's an authentic Miami tale if I ever heard one. Whoo-hoo! Bravisimo! True life stories from the city that's never boring.
You really don't get it. ( the horror in sadness of crime, pain and desperation)

Unfortunately in life , sometimes we must learn
through difficult experience.

I hope you learn through observation and reflection rather than regrettably fixed experience.

It isn't an element of growing up or maturity, its basic life 101.

Basic life 101 .. Am I going to be a looser , who is impressed with nothingness, or simply a regular decent person .

Don't worry, if you don't want to make up your mind, life will do it for you.....gauranteed, loser's are everywhere....I like to call them Zombies cause thats how party people look after only a couple of years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami