Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:11 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Well said, yeah, still in college. How'd you know lol? For example, I think the area in between Downtown and the Design District has immense potential in being a series of truly dynamic, urban neighborhoods, and by the looks of development, that's the way things are going. Why invest in another souless cookie-cutter home in Kendall when we can invest in improving historic neighborhoods that have character? There's so much in the urban core that can be improved before having to resort to building another tacky American suburb.
Amen! My biggest disappointment with Miami in this regard is that in many other cities - large and small - across the country (including the one where I currently reside), this has already been happening over the past 15 years. In Miami, what little historic fabric you have left is only now being seen as valuable to the city's character. Too much of Miami's history has already been wasted.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM

177 posts, read 571,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
In Miami, what little historic fabric you have left is only now being seen as valuable to the city's character. Too much of Miami's history has already been wasted.
This rich History we used to have has been buried under endless rows of half occupied, souless shiny glass condos with no hint of the unique character that made Miami famous for in the first place. I applaud the efforts of the community to save the few remaining mimo motels farther north on Biscayne blvd. and the freedom tower in downtown, but those hideous bland condos in front of the American Airlines Arena bring nothing unique and exciting to Miami, I almost prefer the rundown vacant wharehouses that were there before, at least it brought character to the area.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:01 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
MIAMIBLUE-At least you didn't hijack the thread in order to convince someone you've never met and will probably never meet what a "real city" is.

To the OP-I've known people in small towns, mid-size cities (like Raleigh, NC) and larger metro areas like Miami to have gotten into the same amount of trouble. It is not the city that makes the person act the way they do, it's the parenting. I don't have kids, but I know enough that if you don't supervise them and don't provide a good example they will try things out for themselves even once.
I grew up in New York City and I never got into any kind of trouble but there were some kids that did. I was luck enough to have supervision and a good example.

Miami is overcoming the hurdles that exist and one of those is the changing of public opinion. Miami never really had a city-core like older, east coast cities that grew outward. Miami has always been a spread out area - remember it used to be a sleepy town back in the 40's - unlike larger industrial areas like NYC. Until recently, the County and smaller cities have started to go urban. It is now more convenient for yuppies to live in these areas since there is more to do after work and everything is closer. No one is going to give up their car (that's the American way) but you have the option to walk now for basic necessities if you want to.

Alot of people are moving into areas near Brickell, South Miami, the Grove, Surfside, due to the recent real estate crash. Condos are more affordable than ever so why not take advantage? Even if they're renting alot of my friends are choosing to live downtown since there are bars/galleries and after hour activities that are within walking distance. I think it's a very exciting time for the future of Miami.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
When I finally found a place in South Miami, I was somewhat back in my element, being able to walk to the grocery store, movies, bars, restaurants, etc. and bike to the Grove, Matheson Hammock, etc. I lived in a microcosm of what I wished Miami could have more of, but as soon as I left the confines of my immediate neighborhood, there was the hell of driving once again. I finally began to truly understand the concept of "Miami time" having otherwise been a very punctual person, because a 5-minute car ride inevitably became a 20-minute stop and start.
Downtown South Miami is great! You can walk to shopping/dining, take the metrorail down to Dadeland to shop or up to Brickell/Downtown for work or nightlife, or bike to Coconut Grove. And, traffic isn't nearly as bad on the east side of US1 so when you do want to make the occasional drive to Fresh Market or to Mattheson Hammock, you're not sitting in eight lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic to get there.

Oh, and I really didn't mean to insult NC in general; it's just that very, very few people moving there for "quality of life" are moving to neighborhoods like the one in which you live. Most people, when talking about "the promised land," are referring to Cary or its equivalent outside of Charlotte.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
This thread has been totally hijacked. Now it's all about how a few people hate the suburbs Oh those evil middle-class people that actually want to have a yard for their kids to play in. The outrage! Why can't they be happy in tiny boxes (a.k.a. apartments or condos)? I mean most of them WORK in boxes all day so way can't they be happy LIVING in boxes at night?

Also, what the heck is this 'design district' anyway? What do they design there? Clothes? catch-phrases? things to be indignant about?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:12 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
There's far more to life than freakin' weather and I am tired of having the same worn out, tired argument with people who tell me "oh, but you won't like the cold!!?!?!?!".

Now, this is just my opinion and you can take it or leave it, but Miami isn't a real city, when compared to somewhere like Boston or Philadelphia. Both those cities have infrastructure and true diversity....Miami has neither.
I agree with you entirely. I'm from Phila the "City of Murder" and when I went back in Feb more total strangers spoke to me in two days just going about my business...than in two months down here. And in a typical fun Phila way. I was in Home Depot at 8 am and they have a cheesesteak shop attached (number one plus about Phila you can get peppers and eggs, peppers and sausage, cheesesteaks at home depot for breakfast even on saturday ) cuz it's south philly.

The guy was so NORMAL....Pleasant and happy to take my order, outgoing, funny, THOUGHTFUL when he heard I was helping my son move he gave me a bunch of extra stuff for the food that I didn't ask for....blah blah blah blah.....that cheesesteak take out joint was nicer and more accomodating to the customers than any servers I've seen at actual restaurants here expecting tips no less.

OP the reason to move here is totally justified if the grandparents are here and will be part of your kid's life on a regular basis.

Do not, however, dismiss the advise of the men here talking about the "dangers" of the social scene and peers. Being a woman, you know perfectly well that the MOMS have no clue what their kids are doing and the guys do LOL.

You need to visit with a different eye. As a critical potential resident not as a tourist who thinks it's beauthful etc. Starting with publix., visiting schools etc.

I moved to Greece the most beautiful islands in the world and only lasted two months. After spending 5 months per year for 5 years. My husband's entire family was there and there's 100 relatives. Didn't help things. When you live somewhere with kids everything is completely different, big adjustments. Like the wack job medical care and wierd control my mother in law took. (not projecting that on you, just saying).

I walked in the room one day and she was pouring LEMON JUICE down my 9 months old throat! And he was a nursing baby at that! He was sick for two days from that.

You can also chose a different town like up here in Vero, it's closer than another state at least. My ex landlord bought the house up here to "retire" to. He's Cuban and lives in Weston. Can't wait to be here.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM

177 posts, read 571,102 times
This just came to me last night, why don't u go on Myspace.com and do a couple of searches using the zip codes of a few places your considering moving to. Narrow your search to people in your daughters age group and it will give you a pretty accurate idea of the kinds of people and the mentality she will be exposed to.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
I forgot to say, this part may be a sticking point, show stopper. Hard to say if you don't know people.

"Also, are there any progressive schools in Miami ala San Francisco? Schools that have core values that focus on altruism, stewardship, the intellect over worrying about what others think about you? Am I going to be miserable there, people? Help... "

I assume the "about what others think about you" part is a reference to the Obama apologist administration? (no offense).

I don't live in Miami but you need to find out if the Republican contingent will bother you. I believe Miami started to go Blue in 2008 but I dont know the details. I do know that a ton of my Anti Obama email came from Cuban friends who live there. Too many similarities with Fidel and the whole spread the wealth thing.

That might get to you if your in-laws are hard core Republicans and you hear that stuff alot. My in-laws were hard core anti Americans LOLOL

I don't see any concern over stewardship, altruism or values in So Fl. north of Miami, I cant say about Miami. Then again with the feelings on illegal immigration that so many have down there, it's really no different than San Fransisco thinking it's perfectly fine to be a sanctuary city for repeat criminals.

I'd ask my husb about the political stuff big time. It's hard living in the middle of outspoken people you don't agree with.

Worse than sitting through a movie being translated the entire time!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
No, don't do that. Often the most ridiculous, attention-craving people create obnoxious MySpace pages. My little sister graduated high school two years ago and if I would have based my opinion on her public high school/area on the MySpace profiles of some of her fellow students, I would have had the impression that it was a very ghetto area. This is pretty far from the truth, and she had a very nice group of friends. I don't think MySpace even came into existence until I was in college, so I can't really comment on how it was when I was a teen. I can say, however, that most areas of Miami-Dade County are perfectly fine for raising a family and that there are good and bad influences ANYWHERE you go, including Beverly Hills, Miami, suburban North Carolina, and Podunk-Nowhere, USA.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
You can search myspace for pictures in any US city and ur gonna see 15 year old girls drinking, taking their pictures in the mirror in their underwear , drugs etc.. (hahah ohh high school)

You can't shelter your daughter from these things, you have to explain them to her and teach her how they are not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami