Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times

Advertisements

School copes with loss of 2 students after violent shooting

Miami News, Fort Lauderdale News, Florida News & Weather Channel 7 Fox Miami WSVN-TV - School copes with loss of 2 students after violent shooting

Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Since the Miami-apoligists haven't responded yet, let me jump in for them and say that this sort of stuff happens in every city and not just Miami.
We have a rating system for our schools here. I'm not sure exactly how it goes but I think it is something like this:

School Rating ----- # of homicides per school year
A ----------------> 0-1
B ----------------> 2-3
C ----------------> 4-6
D ----------------> 7-9
F ----------------> 10+

Maybe the schools should start borrowing the signs the highway departmetn uses on the dangerous roads that say "__ fatalities so far this year".

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Why do you still live in Miami if you hate it so much? Bad stuff happens everywhere. The Littleton massacre is located in a very "whitebread," pristine suburban area outside of Denver. The Paducah shootings were in a Southern town with "strong family values" - bad kids and crazy people are everywhere. Most kids growing up in Miami will turn out just fine. I would much rather raise a child in Miami than in most other places about which many of you fantasize...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM

13 posts, read 31,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Greensboro is nice! Not sure why you are saying "I cant believe I'm saying this."

You wont find that in Miami, or most of South Florida! And I can bet you will miss it! But youre from NYC, and family from Latin America and the Carribean... so you are much more at home in Miami! Enjoy!

I loved growing up in NYC and still miss that big city culture (except I wouldn't move back though because I HATE the cold). Actually, I always imagined myself living in Miami as far back as my high school years. It took me forever - over 10 years - to warm up to Greensboro (came here for college) and would have moved to FL a loooong time ago if it weren't for life getting in the way of my best laid plans.

One of the few things I have come to appreciate about this area is the slower pace and friendly easy-going culture. But, still. I am itching to finally make that move and would never have imagined myself suggesting to ANYONE to live here...no matter how pretty and friendly a city Greensboro it is! Regardless, you are absolutely right about me. Home is where the heart is and my heart is in FLORIDA.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM

32 posts, read 132,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Why do you still live in Miami if you hate it so much?
Really!!! You should use the time and energy you spend posting on this forum to relocate away from Satan's cesspool of urban decay.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,112 times
OP: Looking to relocate to MIA with family. Any help?
A: You'll be fine
B: Miami is a bad city..
A: No it isn't...
B: Yes it is...
A: No it isn't....
B: Yes it is....
C: No it isn't....
B:Yes it is (Insert statistic on crime)
C: No it isn't (Insert counter statistic on crime)
D: Racist comment on hispanics
Mod: Discussion Closed

Am I the only one that sees every single thread like this?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Kim View Post
Really!!! You should use the time and energy you spend posting on this forum to relocate away from Satan's cesspool of urban decay.
You must have moved here in the past 10 yeasr and not have the same frame of reference that I do. I've found people that move here tend to think the city is much better than it is. For those of us that were born here and have watched it decay, we have a different view. However, I do plan to move as soon as economic conditions improve. If you want to help me you could buy my house for what I paid for it in 2006 at the peak of the bubble. Any takers? Didn't think so. Well, maybe if I anoy enough people here they'll take up a collection to get me out of Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
OP: Looking to relocate to MIA with family. Any help?
A: You'll be fine
B: Miami is a bad city..
A: No it isn't...
B: Yes it is...
A: No it isn't....
B: Yes it is....
C: No it isn't....
B:Yes it is (Insert statistic on crime)
C: No it isn't (Insert counter statistic on crime)
D: Racist comment on hispanics
Mod: Discussion Closed

Am I the only one that sees every single thread like this?
Pretty much except for the part about racist comments. I have not seen a single racist comment against Hispanics (do we capitalize that?) on this board. I've seen many comments that OFFENDED people, including Hispanics, but that doesn't make them racist or culturalist, as we are constantly reminded here that Hispanic is not a race.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I've found people that move here tend to think the city is much better than it is. For those of us that were born here and have watched it decay, we have a different view.
SO TRUE! Most of the people I grew up with that come back to visit, say to me "What are you still doing do there, how can you stand it?" What I have also noticed is that many of the people that moved to Miami with in the last 5 years, that I have met, have left South Florida after really getting to know it already. I would say most stay on average about 3 years.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:28 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Oh geezzzz. I know you. What was your screenname before? You and your riding it like a Ford nonsense.
What's your problem?

Nonsense? Wait 'til someone you care about is mowed down by one of the many reckless drivers here. It's actually no laughing matter.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
What's your problem?

Nonsense? Wait 'til someone you care about is mowed down by one of the many reckless drivers here. It's actually no laughing matter.
Well.... I have a few and I bet you have quite a few yourself.

I know there are a gazillion idiots driving on these roads and most of them are reckless. However, I find it pisses me off when you degrade everybody that is not you or like you and insist on descriptions like the ones you love to use.

How would you feel when one of your relatives or "someone you care about" gets put against a wall and without any warning is shot to death just for not agreeing with the dictator running your home country? Is this any better?

Why aren't you still using your previous screenname eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami