Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,372 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a condo in Miami. I was very interested in the Madison Downtown Condos. A one bedroom, about 575 sq ft is 109,000 or 129,000 so the price is not too bad. But I've read several things about this which sound not so good. Ie, no supermarkets nearby, bad neighborhood, etc. I guess it doesn't have to be Miami; the main reason I'm thinking Miami is because of the climate. I'm an older American, currently living in Chengdu, China and the winters are just too cold. I can afford to buy for cash (100,000-130,000) or so but then my monthly budget would be limited. It would be around 2,500 a month but I think I can survive ok on that especially if I didn't have to own a car. I'm retired. Does anyone have any advice on another city? Ie, what about Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, Fort Lauderdale, etc,etc.

Donald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhefka View Post
I'm an older American, currently living in Chengdu, China and the winters are just too cold.
I went to Chengdu for a vacation once in October. I can see how it would get cold in the Wintertime. Why not chose a city in Southern China if the only reason you want to move is the weather? How about Haikou? I hear it's like Hawaii, only with Chinese everywhere instead of Japanese.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I went to Chengdu for a vacation once in October. I can see how it would get cold in the Wintertime. Why not chose a city in Southern China if the only reason you want to move is the weather? How about Haikou? I hear it's like Hawaii, only with Chinese everywhere instead of Japanese.
LOL, I have noticed that many people are attracted to MiaMe for its weather. Heck, if endless hot weather is your thing, why not move to Kenya, or the Sudan?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
It's very expensive there. Here in Vero Beach you can get a condo from 30,000 for a respectable decent community to your price 125,000 (and more of course)

I bought in Grove Isle and it's beautiful here. Vero BEach is on the east coast half way up in the middle, the beginning of the "tropics".

The monthy fee is 340 and it includes everything except electric and phone.

In Grove Isle we have 1200 - 1400 sq ft two bedrooms for anywhere from 60,000 to 130,000. Many have been updated with everything new inside and Miami dade hurricane code.

it's on the Intracoastal waterway and we have a 50 acre nature trail that takes you to the water with a nice dock and gorgeous view. 15 minutes from the beach too.

The stores are 3-4 blocks away but there is a small bus that comes through and goes all over the region the GO Line and it goes to that shopping center up the road. And to the mall and to the beach etc.

I encourage you to spend half of what you're thinking about and check out our community everyone is nice here and the facilities are great. Two pools two clubhouses (but it's not a big big complex. There's a unit across from me for about 60 or 70 with alot new including kitchen. The building was rebuilt after a 2004 hurricane.

Vero Beach is a nice, safe very pretty place only 34 sq miles with 17,000 people. Has a theater, art museum and many parks and small parks on the beach.

You can google it and put in Grove Isle vero beach. 1.5 hrs from orlando and 1.25 hrs from West Palm Beach. My insurance is only 600 per year without hurricane shutters. Taxes would be about 2% and dont forget Fl has homestead you dont pay the first 50,000 of the assessment and if you're older I think there's more discount.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,372 times
Default Haikou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

Actually rogerbacon, Chengdu is not all that cold. Ie, it never snows. Ok, two years ago it did snow but no accumulation. There are two big problems: 1. No central heat. There are room heaters but they really don't help much. 2. It feels much colder than it really is; I think because of the moisture in the air.

Everybody that lives here wears long johns all winter long. I just stopped wearing them two weeks ago - approximately April 8th. You must start wearing them in November so for five months you're wearing long johns. The other seven (or maybe eight months) are ok. China is the same latitude as the U.S. so July is the hottest month. Even in July, it's not too hot here. The average high is only 85 degrees. Of course, there are many days when it's 90 but I never use the air conditioner. I do use a fan.

Yeah, I'm aware of Haikou but my situation is more complicated than that so I want to move back to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami