Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 PM

177 posts, read 571,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
...because the Cubans who truly want liberation leave Cuba and come to Miami. Unfortunately, only the Cubans themselves can bring freedom to their island.
because theyr not stupid by staying in cuba and being imprisoned, tortured and assisianted. Why did the slaves leave the plantation for the free north instead of fighting for liberation, I guess the ones that stayed behind didnt truly want liberation. The majority of the island wants freedom just as bad as the outspoken cubans here, its just that u dont hear about them because castro has them silenced and isolated from the rest of the world. Why do you think they are bared from the leaugue of nations, their people have no civil rights and anyone who says anything such as a peep becomes persecuted by the government.

Last edited by muscleman305; 04-09-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Apparently, Miami-Dade will actually be part of Cuba and said nation will have a brand new minority in addition to the irritated, politically charged majority of Miami- irritated, politically charged Anglo Americans.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
What if Cuba does become free from the shackles of Communism, but is still poorer than the US? Would you be prepared to go back to a significantly worse standard of living, even in a "free" Cuba?
I know a lot of Cubans that plan on going back and buying beach-front property to retire if Cuba switches from communism. I don't expect a mass exodus but I do expect a mass buying spree.
If the Cubans do leave en mass and are replaced by other Hispanics... yeah, I'll miss them (can't believe I just said that). At least they voted right most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
As to Chinese, I found there are very few Chinese in Miami. Maybe because of the fact, as I checked last month, that Chinese still can not own land and properties in Florida? Isn't it unconstitutional?
I know lots of Chinese that own land here. We have tons of unconstitutional things going on in this country (US Department of Education for one). Nobody cares because no one brings up a challenge to it.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:29 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
because theyr not stupid by staying in cuba and being imprisoned, tortured and assisianted. Why did the slaves leave the plantation for the free north instead of fighting for liberation, I guess the ones that stayed behind didnt truly want liberation. The majority of the island wants freedom just as bad as the outspoken cubans here, its just that u dont here about them because castro has them silenced and isolated from the rest of the world. Why do you think they are bared from the leaugue of nations, their people have no civil rights and anyone who says anything such as a peep becomes persecuted by the government.
Trust me muscleman, I want you people to have your freedom....you're too good to live under Communism and suffer from it.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I know a lot of Cubans that plan on going back and buying beach-front property to retire if Cuba switches from communism. I don't expect a mass exodus but I do expect a mass buying spree.
If the Cubans do leave en mass and are replaced by other Hispanics... yeah, I'll miss them (can't believe I just said that). At least they voted right most of the time.

I know lots of Chinese that own land here. We have tons of unconstitutional things going on in this country (US Department of Education for one). Nobody cares because no one brings up a challenge to it.
I just don't want them replaced by people who are here illegally, if you know what I mean. Miami's already going down the tubes....the last thing it needs is for more decent people to pull the plug and leave, even if they're Cuban.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 PM

177 posts, read 571,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

We have tons of unconstitutional things going on in this country (US Department of Education for one). Nobody cares because no one brings up a challenge to it.
Care to enlighten us? if the original OP doesnt mind.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
Cuba will be liberated in 20 years, 90% of the Cuban population will return to the island and south american and haiten will take over miami and as a result the rest will beg the Cubans to return lol actually 20 years from now theres no telling if the USA will even be around anymore, with the way Obamas tripling the deficit like its monopoly money, actually it is monopoly money to him because everything is being borrowed from the Chinese. I'm really praying we don't end up bankrupt like the old USSR, because the similarities between us and them in the last ten years are frightingly similar.
You know, I don't think I've ever agreed with you.. but hey, good post. (but I like the south americans)

Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
In the following years Cuba will become a democratic country and will open its airports for Cubans to travel overseas. There will be a super huge immigration wave from Cuba in the coming years. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services if you are a foreigner that has a relative in USA who is a citizen or a lawful permant resident alien, you as a foreigner are able to obtain the green card through the PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE process (For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States).

In other words, if Antonio comes from Cuba to visit his brother/sister/parent/grandparent he will be able to stay in USA if he wishes by submitting a PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Filing Fee $335.

For example, Antonio came from Cuba as a tourist to visit their relatives in Miami and now that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has received a "PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE" the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services tells Antonio to stay in Miami until the process has finished and as a result a green card is granted to Antonio.

Now, USA will experience a huge immigration wave that is all legal according to the existing laws.

I am not against immigrants. I am one myself.

I am just wondering about how the heck Miami is going to assimilate all those people in the coming years.

So, my answer to your question would be that Miami will become more Latin.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 04-10-2009 at 12:55 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 AM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
In the following years Cuba will become a democratic country and will open its airports for Cubans to travel overseas. There will be a super huge immigration wave from Cuba in the coming years. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services if you are a foreigner that has a relative in USA who is a citizen or a lawful permant resident alien, you as a foreigner are able to obtain the green card through the PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE process (For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States).

In other words, if Antonio comes from Cuba to visit his brother/sister/parent/grandparent he will be able to stay in USA if he wishes by submitting a PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Filing Fee $335.

For example, Antonio came from Cuba as a tourist to visit their relatives in Miami and now that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has received a "PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE" the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services tells Antonio to stay in Miami until the process has finished and as a result a green card is granted to Antonio.

Now, USA will experience a huge immigration wave that is all legal according to the existing laws.

I am not against immigrants. I am one myself.

I am just wondering about how the heck Miami is going to assimilate all those people in the coming years.

So, my answer to your question would be that Miami will become more Latin.
LOL, those kind of laws only apply to Cubans because their(our) special characteristic(a dictatorship in Cuba and the big help of the USA). However, after an estabilization of US-Cuba relationship all those laws should dissapear, including the Cuban Adjustment Act, and the Wet/Dry Foot law. Unless, of course, Cuba becomes the 51 start in the US flags, which I doubt it. So, in relation with cuban inmigrants expect a BIG decrease in our numbers here in Miami. Maybe the next wave of inmmigrant will come from China

LOL, I cannot imagine BCBrass then writting in the Inmmigration forum to stop the chinese from comming here, LOL

Old 04-10-2009, 02:10 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
kevinkagy gave a good, comprehensive response.

I would summarize by saying that Miami's future depends on international trade, specifically trade with Latin America. Someone also mentioned competition with the ports of Houston and some other cities (also Savannah).

If international trade and business remains the engine of growth, then the key is communication and transport routes. Coastal Miami proper (downtown, Brickell) and the corridor served by the Metrorail (Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Miami, Dadeland) should continue to do well.

The fate of inland Miami is to a significant extent tied to whether better transport links to the coast can be developed. I wouldn't hold my breathe, rather I would expect Miami to muddle along and increasingly become like many of the Latin American megalopolises, like some others have described.

If international trade/business stagnates, then I expect all of Miami to languish.

Wild cards are Cuba and hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami