Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 PM

34 posts, read 140,927 times

Advertisements

How do you think Miami-Dade will change in the future? Will it be less latino/hispanic? Have more crime? More traffic? Will it always continue to gain population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 03:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
I think it will have more traffic and be 85% Hispanic. And as long as there is land, they can and will build.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Yep. More people... mostly from Central and South America. And with a higher population density will come more of the big city problems: more traffic, more crime, more pollution and garbage, more bad tempers both on the road and in stores. I imagine taxes will also be much higher to pay for more government workers as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:24 PM

31 posts, read 104,891 times
maybe it just disappeared into ocean. who knows.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
maybe it just disappeared into ocean. who knows.
Ahh... The optimist's view.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
I don't have much hope for Miami, but hopefully by then, I'll be long gone.

If nothing is done to stem illegal/undocumented immigration, things will get worse. If nothing is done to improve schools, the caliber of people will continue to deteriorate. Traffic will continue to worsen and as greater numbers of "unsavory" people arrive, there is likely to be another drug-fuelled crime wave, much like the 70's and 80's, but possibly worse.

What Miami really needs is a heart and a soul, coupled with true diversity, better education and real/sustainable jobs. Miami needs to look to the future, not just build, build, build, allowing mass condo developments to pass off as "urban renewal".

In my eyes, Miami's future doesn't look too bright, recession or not. The basic fact is that many Miamians, by nature are extremely selfish and do not give a damn about this place...the only "tropical" big city on the mainland US.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:49 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I don't have much hope for Miami, but hopefully by then, I'll be long gone.

If nothing is done to stem illegal/undocumented immigration, things will get worse. If nothing is done to improve schools, the caliber of people will continue to deteriorate. Traffic will continue to worsen and as greater numbers of "unsavory" people arrive, there is likely to be another drug-fuelled crime wave, much like the 70's and 80's, but possibly worse.

What Miami really needs is a heart and a soul, coupled with true diversity, better education and real/sustainable jobs. Miami needs to look to the future, not just build, build, build, allowing mass condo developments to pass off as "urban renewal".

In my eyes, Miami's future doesn't look too bright, recession or not. The basic fact is that many Miamians, by nature are extremely selfish and do not give a damn about this place...the only "tropical" big city on the mainland US.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:07 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Yep. More people... mostly from Central and South America. And with a higher population density will come more of the big city problems: more traffic, more crime, more pollution and garbage, more bad tempers both on the road and in stores. I imagine taxes will also be much higher to pay for more government workers as well.
I envision (sadly) a big influx of even poorer immigrants than we have been getting the last 10 years. Inhabitants from South American countries like Suriname and Guyana have been left out of the immigration explosion of recent years. They will use the opportunity to migrate once "One World" Obama-backed economics and Chavista "Petro Dollars" become reality. These decisions will help make the move to the U.S more viable for the poorest of poor from these uncivilized regions. I also think that because of Obama, the Haitian immigration quota will be raised, making the slums larger and crime more frequent in Miami. These people don't spread out, they stay clumped in Miami because of the familiar climate and the abundance of similar, 3rd world peoples.

Add to this the relentless march from Central America, and almost NO white non-Hispanic migration to Miami-Dade - except for Miami Beach and downtown - and you have one helluva sad situation.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:26 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Put the City of Miami's situation into the hands of the Lord,albeit 20-50 years into the future,He is in control of the situation and He will see it through.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,771 times
I actually see it a bit brighter. I see Miami as more urban and with stronger, more established cultural institutions. I think tourism in arts-related events will increase and Miami will begin to be more well known for its arts, culture and events than the beaches, shopping, banking, etc. There will be more density, and with that more high-rise construction in Downtown/Brickell/Midtown. I think there will be less western suburban construction.

The population of Miami isn't expected to grow as fast as it has before and will grow at a normal rate, which will allow for a breather. UM and FIU will continue to raise in rankings. We still won't have the Western and Northern lines for the Metrorail. Downtown will be much cleaner and busier, with more activities. Bicentennial Park will have been renovated with the Miami Sci Museum and Miami Art Museum. The Black Grove will gentrify, some of the public schools will improve, others will stay crappy.

Miami will continue to be a popular city for tourism. Neighborhoods from Upper East Side to Downtown will improve and turn "chic". Liberty City will still be ghetto. Use of public transit will increase with the Miami Intermodal Center. Some might find this hard to believe, but I think the White non-Hispanic population will continue to grow in Miami. Yes, you heard right. If you look at the Census figures. In 2000, Miami-Dade was 16.5% White non-Hispanic, in 2007, that number grew to 18%. Think that's odd? The Hispanic population dropped from 65% to 61% during that same period. I really think Miami will grow more and more diverse and many of the old Spanish-speaking Hispanics will die out, leaving more English in Miami. And that is my opinion. I see a very optimistic future for Miami.

And of course, the FIU Golden Panthers will be National Champs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami