Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,907 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am having a pretty terrible living experience at the moment. The community that I live in operates under two different homeowners associations. One of them (not mine) has decided to re-do their roofing. The roofing company that they have hired has set up immediately behind my house. Every morning, beginning at 6am, they begin getting everything together. This means that every morning I wake up at this time to banging, loud beeping of trucks backing up, crashing, and the yells of the workers. This also happens on weekends, including Easter Sunday.

It has been a month already, I do not get to sleep until fairly late due to my family's employment schedule, and this is seriously impacting my quality of life. I have called my homeowners association, with no answer. I have called the police, and this only makes them stop for that day. The next day, they are right back at it. I am assuming they begin this early to avoid the direct sunlight, because they usually stop by 10am.

My blood pressure has gone up, my stress levels have increased, and at work I am finding it increasingly hard to focus... all the classic symptoms of long term sleep deprivation. My quality of life has suffered tremendously due to the constant noise outside of my home. I feel at my wit's end. I am so frustrated and nobody seems to be doing anything when I complain. I believe this will end up costing me my job, if I cannot get a good night's sleep.

If the homeowners association and construction company do not listen to myself, or the police, maybe a law suit will stop this? How can I find an attorney to speak with me about this?

I looked up property law and am confident that this is all in violation of my right to the "quiet enjoyment of land". The times that it is taking place, the fact that it has not been moved to another location for the last month, the fact that this still takes place on weekends and religious holidays... but, I can read my rights all day, but with nobody to help enforce them, they are pretty meaningless.

I work very hard to own my house, and this is making me hate living here.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 12:29 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Before 7am, they are in violation of noise laws most likely. So if you hear it at 6am I would call 305-4POLICE (the non emergency number) right away, they probably got a warning the first time you called. But the second time you call and the cops hear it too, they will most likely get a fine. Just keep calling the cops, they will get tired of the fines and will most likely move their staging area. I wouldn't take it to the death-con level and get a lawyer, at some point the roof will be finished and they will leave. And then you are left in the neighborhood known to the neighbors as a fussy neighbor. Will this roofing company be redoing your roof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: