Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM

32 posts, read 68,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamigringa View Post
I vote for the Springs ... the best kept secret in Miami! Although a lot of our tree cover was removed by the last hurricanes, as a bird sanctuary we continue to be an attraction for bird watchers from around the world, and we have replanted with many native species. It is also one of the safest places to live in South Florida (we have our own police and fire department and response time is usually under 5 minutes) because there are only a few places to enter or exit... and once you are here... well, you'd better have a map or GPS because it can be a bit maze-like (the best for security!) The Springs has a wonderful small-town neighborhood feel. Many longtime residents grew up here and moved back with their families. The schools are A-rated. We have a nice dog-park, brand new rec center, one of the best heated community pools in the area (so says my tri-athelon friend) playgrounds for the kids (check out Castle Park) and nice walking/biking paths (Curtis Parkway and Ludlum). And as far as I've observed, people who live and work here usually do speak English. In fact, my parents just moved down from Maryland and speak no Spanish what-so-ever and are very happy here. Many times long time residents of Miami get us confused with the Lakes or the Shores... But its ok... Those of us who live here like that we are one of Miami's "best kept secrets."
Miami springs is right next to the airport... does that effect the community at all? Are there planes flying overhead all hours of the day and night?

Lived in the flight path of Heathrow before and don't want to experience that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
Most MIA air traffic is East-West. There is a little NW-SE, but it doesn't look like it goes over Miami Springs at all.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM

389 posts, read 1,077,956 times
I like Miami Lakes. It is west enough to be away from the city but not far at all. Just jump on the Palmetto. Very nice area with a lot to do.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM

984 posts, read 4,288,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
I like Miami Lakes. It is west enough to be away from the city but not far at all. Just jump on the Palmetto. Very nice area with a lot to do.
Yeah, I like that neighborhood too. It's one of the more underrated neighborhoods in the County, people don't talk about it much. Though I believe partially the reason being that we have West Pines (generally regarded as one of the best areas of SW Broward, and reasonably priced generally) not far at all from it and even neighboring West Miramar (also similar to West Pines for the most part - once west of Flamingo / I-75) near it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM

389 posts, read 1,077,956 times
If I were to move from P. Pines it would probably be back to Miami Lakes.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
Miami Lakes is an underrated area. It is a bit far from Miami Beach/Downtown for me but the drive is not bad during none rush hour times and there is plenty close by. Defiently Miami's best western suburb by far.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,787,938 times
Miami Lakes might be one of the best western cities in Dade County but it has some large minuses that I don't like. It borders Hialeah, Opa Locka and Miami Gardens.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Miami Lakes might be one of the best western cities in Dade County but it has some large minuses that I don't like. It borders Hialeah, Opa Locka and Miami Gardens.
True. But it seems like the Miami Lakes police dept, really a division of Miami-Dade police does a very good job keeping it a low crime area even though it is close to high crime areas. And the part of Hialeah is borders is not too bad. Can't say that about Miami Gardens or Opa Locka though. I am in Miami Lakes all the time at different times of the day. Never seen anything unusual once. They had a problem at the movie theater there about a year ago and made quick and strict changes. Have not seen or heard of a problem there since.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

32 posts, read 68,056 times
Regarding Miami Springs, are the houses on the "edge" of the area still nice/in a nice area?

I'm asking about the houses on the Airport/Railroad tracks side (South/West side of Miami Springs), not the Hialeah(East) side.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM

136 posts, read 479,762 times
Miami Lakes is a very pretty, well-planned town, especially the original neighborhoods developed from the early 60s through the late 70s. You really get a ton of house for your money, especially compared to Miami Shores.

It's true that Miami Lakes is generally off people's radar, especially in terms of real estate. This may be due to the fact that its zip codes are Hialeah-area zip codes (33014, 33016, 33018), and because of that, the town may not actually be associated with Miami on real estate searches. For instance, I've done searches on realtor.com using the search term "Miami." Miami Lakes listings never show up in the results. If I do the same search, but change the term to "Hialeah," listings in Miami Lakes appear. It's an unintended result of relying on zip codes to define the location of neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami